PDA

View Full Version : The 10 most dangerous cities in California.......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-20-2015, 05:39 PM
http://www.telegraphtoday.com/10-most-dangerous-cities-in-california/

Santa Cruz
Arvin
Nevada City
Emeryville
Eureka
Stockton
Compton
Desert Hot Springs
Oroville
Oakland

Yikes.....

SeanO
03-20-2015, 06:16 PM
I wonder why Santa Cruz is in the list??

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-20-2015, 07:28 PM
From the report:

"Santa Cruz is a very unique beach town that sees lots of tourists coming to visit the pier and other attractions. Not only does the city have great attractions, it also has a higher crime rate than most cities in California. With a population of about 60,000, it has a total reported crimes rate of 9.7 per 1,000 residents."

Ralph
03-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Nevada City was included because our esteemed sheriff includes "in jail" offenses in the FBI records to build up his request for Federal funds and used military hardware. As I understand it, 94 of the 98 assault charges that occurred in Nevada City were scuffles between inmates inside the Nevada County jail which happens to be in Nevada City. The average citizens here are too stoned to fight.

SeanO
03-20-2015, 08:15 PM
"Santa Cruz is a very unique beach town that sees lots of tourists coming to visit the pier and other attractions..."

That makes sense, Bill. Probably more criminals and transients following/targeting the tourists?

I now remember that my brother was working down there recently. He said a local city park across from his hotel was turned over to the homeless for a campground. He mentioned there was a free food line, porta pottys, and tents set up all over the park.

Probably not the safest place in the state as it attracts that number of homeless people, I guess.

Best,

Darian
03-20-2015, 10:43 PM
Ralph hit it on the head. Almost all of the FBI reports received from local law enforcement agencies are skewed as they're open to interpretation and the motivation by local elected officials to obtain/justify additional funding.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-21-2015, 06:11 AM
I guess any statistics can be manipulated.

I would not feel in danger in Nevada City.

johnsquires
03-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Sometimes it goes back to the generalization thing, which is hardly ever helpful.

I worked for years in Stockton, downtown Stockton. I wouldn't want to go to downtown Stockton at night. But there are other areas of Stockton that are very nice - maybe that's why Alex Spanos and his children live there.

I find the biggest misconception to be about Oakland. When I work in downtown Oakland, that's where I find the friendliest people (unlike S.F. where no one has time to say hello). And you want to see a nice area? Try the Oakland hills. BTW, amazing restaurants in Oakland. But, like anywhere else (including Sacramento) there are places in Oakland I wouldn't venture into at night.

I'm actually surprised Richmond wasn't mentioned. I think they have a pretty substantial crime rate.

SeanO
03-21-2015, 07:44 PM
And you want to see a nice area? Try the Oakland hills.

+1 Oakland hills are great, pretty much an extension of Berkeley hills. The lower the elevation you go, the more sketch though...

johnsquires
03-21-2015, 08:53 PM
I am just as guilty of forming opinions without basis as some of my friends I now try to educate. Until I moved westward, I had my opinions (or non-opinions) about Oakland and Berkeley. I'm trying not to do that anymore - form opinions without anything to base them on, except maybe the opinions of others.
There are portions of Berkeley and Oakland you could not afford to live in if you are not a multimillionaire. I suspect the people who live there want to keep it a secret. Amazing views, amazing restaurants, great weather, intelligent and open-minded people.
I hear you, Salmonid, about finding some (emphasis on some) scary areas as you go downhill. But besides places like Aspen, Sun Valley, and the like, that is always going to be the case.
I basically grew up in Lodi, a very nice place. But there are place in Lodi where I would feel much safer walking around in most of Oakland.

k9mark
03-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Lol, I think this list is definitely skewed. Ive been working 22 yrs sifting thru the scum of Stockton. Other than Oakland, Stockton is number 2 for sure!

Gene S
03-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Whoa...Santa Cruz makes the list but Salinas doesn't. Something is sure skewed up....