PDA

View Full Version : American river fishing report

Andrew Guibord
03-18-2015, 09:30 PM
I took the last couple of weeks off to reconnect with stripers on the delta since fishing on the American was less than stellar. I fished the American this week and found some steel. Monday I landed a half pounder and about a 4 or 5 pounder. Today I landed two wild half pounders and about a 6 pound hatchery hen. They were all quite acrobatic and in fast, deepish water. I was swinging with my spey rod with sink tips ending with my, U Name It, streamer. One half pounder came on a soft hackle. This has been a tough winter, having only hooked 7 adults on the streamer. I love how they don't fu##### around with that baitfish fly and annihilate it!!! There are some fish out there, guys and gals. Put in your time, you might just get out of jail.

Paul B.
03-19-2015, 05:36 AM
Thank you for the report Andrew, I've been fooling around on the Yuba and doing OK but will be back on the A next weekend. P

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-19-2015, 07:22 AM
This is a good time for all Valley rivers as long as we don't have flooding.........March/April/May

Get out there.....caddis, small salmon patterns, sculpin patterns, crayfish patterns?......

There are spring run adult Steelhead (3-6#) and spring run Half-pounders (12-18") in there most springs.

Early and late in the day or on all day on overcast days for best results.

andrew is Andy Guibord....

Jeff C.
03-19-2015, 08:14 AM
Andy's the man!

Bryan Morgan
03-19-2015, 04:52 PM
If we don't have flooding ? In this stage of the game, we'll be lucky enough to have enough water to to bring up the Shad and Striper. Not trying to be pessimistic- but lets hope for the best!!!!

Mark Kranhold
03-19-2015, 05:22 PM
Right on Andy! There is talk flows may be dropping to 500 cfs next week.

WinterrunRon
03-19-2015, 09:32 PM
Temp is 54 degrees at Sailor Bar.

Andrew Guibord
03-19-2015, 10:10 PM
Uggggg!!!! I was wondering when they were going to drop us to 500. Hiawatha, hiawatha, cowabunga, bunga, cowabunga, hiawatha, hiawatha, cowabunga, cowabunga....please rain!!!!!!

STEELIES/26c3
03-21-2015, 01:27 AM
yup
700 on Tuesday
600 Wednesday
500 CFS Thursday
so sad but not at all unexpected

At least DWR had the foresight (or hindsight) to not do what they did last year and strand all the fry by lowering the flows in February...