PDA

View Full Version : Pole Dancer Leader Question

Ryan
03-17-2015, 09:18 PM
I've been having trouble getting my pole dancers to work properly. When I get them far out there, the zig zag action doesn't work, but when it gets within 30' they work perfect. I'm using a tapered leader thats around 7.5' or so. I was watching some videos online and it looks like people are using shorter leaders than me. I'd just like to hear if anyone has any advice or tips they're willing to share.

Spicytuna1
03-18-2015, 10:13 AM
From what I have gathered its best to use a swivel in your leader to prevent the twisting of the line. I run approx 2ft of 20# to a micro swivel then 2ft of 15# to the fly. Seems to get the job done for me. I have also found the swivel to be very helpful for Gurglers as well.

My cast stroke for some reason seems to twist line like crazy so the swivel is key for me.

Using the right technique is big for the walk the dog action as well. When you strip your line, you want to bring the rod back and down towards the water. You should be hitting the water with the tip of your rod each time you strip it.

thats my 2 cents

Ryan
03-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Thanks, that was all the info I was looking for! I was kind of wondering about the swivels. I really appreciate the tips. Great info!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-18-2015, 06:16 PM
I think most are using the 'Non-slip Loop Knot' to the fly, promoted by Lefty Kreh.

Ryan
03-19-2015, 12:01 AM
Thanks Bill! I'm already on top of the loop knot to the fly. I've been doing so on all my larger flies lately. I'll look into Mr. Kreh's method though, I'm sure he's doing something different and most likely better.