PDA

View Full Version : Streamer fishing question

Scott V
03-10-2015, 02:25 PM
What type of line do people usually use when streamer fishing on water like the Truckee?

Been wanting to start steamer fishing and was wondering if it is more common to use a floating line with a big weighted streamer or do you use a sinking head or line?

I have a bunch of Kelly Galloups streamers I have bought and tied up so that is the fly I plan to use.

David Lee
03-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Hi Scott .

Do it exactly the same way you'd fish for Stripes . On a 6 wt. , something like a 200 or 225 grain integrated sink-tip , or .... better yet , shooting heads for whatever size rod you are using .

D.~

Spicytuna1
03-10-2015, 03:11 PM
It also depends on the type of water you are fishing. If its a smaller river with low CFS jsut add a sink tip to your line or throw weighted flies on dry line. If its a bigger deeper river then you want to go with a full sink streamer line.

MickeyFinn
03-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Kelly Galloup changed my fly fishing, glad you mentioned his fly patterns. There are two methods as you as you know. Floating line, 7-10' leader and heavy fly. Works for most people as it's what they have and is effective in shallow runs and shallow pocket water. Pretty easy to cast as well.

Then there is Kelly's way, mentioned already is a 200-250gr streamer line with a floating running line. The floating running line makes for an easy pickup off the water and easier mending. Leader length varies from 2-4'. This allows the fly to get into the zone quickly and more importantly stay there throughout the retrieve. Even in shallow water I like to use this as you don't have all day to let the fly sink, you need to get down 1-2 feet in a matter of feet and second, then strip it through the zone you intend to "fish". Streamer lines today are easy to cast and can actually make lighter work of heavier flies because if you're grains are matched the line compared to a floater is less wind resistant. Another key factor to sinking lines and big Galloup flies is the fact that most don't incorporate much weight in the fly itself. Maybe some dumbell eyes or a conehead but I tie my flies without so they hover over the bottom and don't hang up as much. You also get a very lifelike movement vs. jigging motions other flies make. Not saying I don't fish them it's just a matter style. Finally, fish any streamer no matter what is cost you like it was free. It's hard to pound a tree lined bank or fish a deep rocky pool with a $5 fly you know may be lost any second but trust me, it's sometimes a matter of inches between getting "old mossyback" to move. Last thought, remember big fish are predators. They aren't always under cover like mossyback but sometimes in the most open spaces you would pass up or wade through.

You'll have fun on the Truckee, just be persistent and change colors often. Don't go to the nymph rig if you haven't caught a fish in a few hours. They're there and trophy hunting is exactly that, go for the trophy not the plaque.

cdevine
03-10-2015, 07:39 PM
I fish streamers on the Truckee along with Czech style nymphing. I must admit I rarely dry fly fish there which is my issue because there are opportunities. I've been using a rio type sink tip leader attached to my floating line. I wouldn't consider the truckee that big of water at least these days. Certainly big fish though. I will use 1x attached to that I've been trailing the sculpin or cray pattern with a prince nymph or something like that. One thing I totally agree with Galloup on is fish will attack the streamer. People worry to much about using lighter tippet. Not worth it. Just lose valuable flies. When conditions are good on overcast days with water warming up a little it can be fun. The local guys have some nice patterns at mtn hardware.

Scott V
03-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Great info everyone. Thanks a bunch!

Paul B.
03-11-2015, 07:40 AM
I'd like to second that. Great info. Thank you for posting.

Larry S
03-11-2015, 08:07 AM
The Wulff Ambush line should be a consideration here. Available as full line and/or head.
Kiene carries them.

JasonB
03-14-2015, 07:11 AM
Scott,
I'm still evolving on my streamer fishing preferences, but at this point it's mostly what I do on most streams including the Truckee. I am still on the hunt for the perfect streamer line too. I think one thing that is perhaps a factor, in addition to type of water, is how you intend to fish them. Lots of different ways to work a streamer, depending on what you like and what kind of water you have and of course... water temp. Sometimes a medium-long mono leader with a heavy fly can be sweet to dredge through deeper slots, typically then swung in to shore and/or stripped. The biggest issue is that the fly typically changes elevation very quickly (both down, but also back up) with this set up: good in some ways bad in others. For swinging a fly, or stripping, or some combination of both I vastly prefer a sinking tip of 10-15'. More often than not I choose to just attach a 10' sinking leader, and about 3' or so of 8-12lb tippet (the absolute heaviest I think I can get away with, usually 10lb). That way I can fairly quickly swap out a leader if I wish to nymph a run, or fish a dry fly, etc. Really any line/leader set up can work though; you just have to play around with how you fish the fly a bit.

Totally agree about the lifelike appearance of a bit lighter flies, and I also find that balancing the weight a bit helps a bit if you are fishing a heavily weighted fly. The slower that I intend to fish the streamer the more critical this becomes (for me). Heavy flies do help to get down really fast, which can be great if you're fishing faster water and smaller pockets where they will have a lot less time to inspect the fly (and the speed at which it moves helps give it some life anyways). About that tippet again, go heavy! I recently ran out of tippet on our last trip and was forced to use some 12lb maxima, and man was I glad I did when I hooked a beast of a brow. From the initial hit, and at several key points in landing him it was clear that I needed every bit of strength the tippet had!
Love streamer fishing
JB

John Sv
03-14-2015, 08:30 AM
You guys might laugh at me but my favorite streamer for the Truckee is a big ol' unweighted Light Spruce. I fish it on a 250 grain streamer tip. Short wings so they don't foul. I pick up smaller fish swinging, bigger fish with and upstream cast stripping back just a tiny bit faster than the current. At dusk I use a darker fly with bulk like a woolly bugger and slap the banks. I get lots of bumps and tugs but less hookups, for one reason or another.
My theory is that they might think the spruce is a lahontan red side, and the bugger just pisses them off.

bigfly
03-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Like Jason said with the lower water conditions, a sinking leader on a floater is a good approach.
I use the 3IPS for pounding the banks....If it is a deeper section I'll go to 7IPS....
If it's deep and faster, I'll go with the faster sink leader, and a weighted fly.
I've seen 1x leader sheared off by fish here.....
Mostly too much debris to swing a full sink line. But there are a few places that you could.
Shop carefully or you can lose a line.....
Like matching the hatch with bugs, it's nice to come close on streamer choice.
Find some fry and come close......size/coloration...
Skulpin are a good pattern, as well as baby browns and bows..
The best advise I can share.....is to strip set, not rod set...rod set and you just take the offering too far away for them to chase.
Let them eat it......
I enjoy my switch rod to talk with Mr. Bubbles...

Jim

WinterrunRon
03-14-2015, 08:41 AM
Ditto this suggestion. However, I personally use an Airflo skagit SWITCH on a Sage 5110, it's 360 grains, something like 18ft head and will toss anyting you tie with little effort.

The Wulff Ambush line should be a consideration here. Available as full line and/or head.
Kiene carries them.

Mark Kranhold
03-18-2015, 11:26 AM
Here is some more info on streamer fishing from Kelly Galloup
http://midcurrent.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=f5a471efea51556de291f3b26&id=74efd10140&e=9141194138

Larry S
03-23-2015, 04:21 PM
More streamer info from "midcurrent"
http://midcurrent.com/experts/getting-started-in-streamer-fishing/?utm_source=MidCurrent%20Fly%20Fishing%20Email%20N ewsletter&utm_campaign=7466d00e4a-MidCurrent_March_18_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8efbf3b958-7466d00e4a-18952373

That link is about as long as some of my leaders!
Best,
Larry S

retroglass
03-25-2015, 11:24 PM
One of the best pattern is a Speckled Dace Pattern By Randy Johnson called the Snork Tailed Streamer. Fished dead drift and across.
Many big fish have come off that pattern in the Truckee . Fly Caster's fish can't resist it.

bigfly
03-26-2015, 08:49 AM
Casters are like little children you take candy from......
Fish that can be caught by accident, won't make you raise your game.....
That's what the rest of the Truckee can do.
Streamer fishing is the way to get into fish that can spank you hard, not just wiggle a little and swim into the net.
A guide buddy landed his first 30" Brown on a streamer yesterday......forget getting that in your cute little net....

Jim

EricO
03-26-2015, 04:02 PM
"forget getting that in your cute little net...."

LOL! That's funny Jim.

EO

bigfly
03-26-2015, 09:40 PM
I started out here with a nice teardrop net.....think brookie/golden.....
Now when the game is afoot, I think boat net...
I've said before, it's not the fish you have caught here......
But the one you cccould cccatch.........
I hope it works out for you Scott........
..btw.....my best tip....after watching many streamer close encounters with fish of dreams (including today)
....Strip-set...!
Rod setting is for dries......maybe..

Jim

PMD
03-27-2015, 12:33 PM
Hit the Truckee yesterday. Put the bobber rig down, fished a streamer and finally connected on the swing. That's the REAL DEAL! A sexy 20" bow (was hoping it was my first sizable brown, but that will come another day). I used a 5' piece of an old full sinking line that I cut down and saved various lengths. I attached it loop to loop to my floating line.

JasonB
03-27-2015, 04:11 PM
Gotta love those big fish on streamers! Seriously, just the hard grab that comes out of nowhere does it for me. One good one makes my whole day! One big problem with streamer fishing to me though: it's ruined me for life!
JB

bigfly
03-28-2015, 08:44 AM
The big issue right now.......
The water is clear enough to see them chasing your fly.
Before you strip-set, let them eat it...................
In the last couple weeks, I've seen over a dozen "close calls"......Let them eat it!
Let me know if arcane art of streamer fishing appeals....I have some openings.
Have fun out there.

Jim

Ralph
03-28-2015, 10:16 AM
When sight fishing streamers, let the fish set the hook. WAY too many fish are lost by yanking the thing out of its mouth or only getting a light lip stick. Your file or hook hone should be closer at hand than your nippers or hemostats. Sharpen, cast, cast, cast, sharpen, cast, cast, cast, sharpen. Sharpen again.

bigfly
03-29-2015, 08:00 AM
Amen Ralph.......
It's not just a quick set either.
It's the damn vertical rod set too.
When you lift them to the surface, it's fish advantage!
They can use the faster surface water, and do that roll on the top that releases your fly. Which local fish have learned...
Sweep-set or strip-set, playing them with a lower angle.......leave the muscle memory rod-set at home..............
Working the water for a few hours for fish of dreams, and then take the fly away??????????
Although the fish is OK with it. There are few things worse for client or guide........
I have my people practice and talk about the set in advance of the moment.
When you see you have a good drift going, actively think set!
Because when the moment comes you won't even think, your body will do the action. The question will be if/how you trained yourself.
Most of us come from the dry fly thing first, so that's the set we use for everything......
I've been watching a friend learn this....it's painful for some, easy for others....
If you master this, your stats will go up.

Jim

Scott V
03-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Thanks everyone, now if I can just get myself up to the Truckee.

Dan LeCount
03-30-2015, 01:55 PM
I usually keep some short pre made sink tips in the 5-10' range of t-8 or t-11. (7.5' is a great size for the Truckee) Some lighter poly leaders can be a good idea too. When you get bored nymphing, just loop them onto the end of your fly line and attach a short 4-6' leader of 0x or 01x. I've had break offs on 1 and 2x. Your avg western nymphing rod can handle the tips, but if you want to use a dedicated rod, try a 7-8wt you'd use for the salt or grab the switch. If you're walk n wade, use lighter flies that shed water and that you can put where you want on the first cast. I love the big articulated stuff, but I usually keep those around for when I float in a boat. Also make sure to keep a few black coneheads in your vest to slide onto the leader, like a warmwater texas rig if you need more sink rate. Good luck Scott!

NVTrout
04-01-2015, 07:07 AM
I mostly like to fish a 6 wt. with a floater, 3 feet for 14 lb, 3 feet of 12 lb. Some kind of heavy conehead like a zuddler or bugger. Work a juicy bank. It's a simple, yet effective way to fish. Its a lot like bass fishing actually. I'll fish with sink tips on my switch on bigger, deeper runs, but I prefer a smaller rod with a floater. Work fast, cover a lot of water.

WinterrunRon
04-01-2015, 07:50 AM
What's a fly caster's fish?

One of the best pattern is a Speckled Dace Pattern By Randy Johnson called the Snork Tailed Streamer. Fished dead drift and across.
Many big fish have come off that pattern in the Truckee . Fly Caster's fish can't resist it.

bigfly
04-01-2015, 09:28 AM
The San Fransico Fly Casters club water.
Est. 1903. they introduced our fish and even had a hatchery at one point.
Locals refer to them as casters or club fish.
Somewhat easier to catch than wild fish.....
Helps out beginners though..