PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to the American River Steelhead population?

WinterrunRon
03-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Drifted from Sailor Bar to Sunrise. Encountered two sets of DFG fish/redd counters along the way. By takeout, they hadn't spotted a single redd, or at least a fresh one. I asked about the return this year. The hatchery spawned exactly fifty, that's 5-0 pairs. Not arguing right or wrong, good or bad, but I can't understand how this state can have an entire system devoted and specifically funded to the raising of a population of a certain species of fish, which comes from a portion of licensing we pay to fish for them, raising thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, and get a return of 50 pairs. If that isn't characterized as a colossal failure, I don't know the definition of failure. I didn't ask about the salmon return, I imagine similar results. Where do we go from here... besides home?

cyama
03-07-2015, 09:43 PM
The American river suffers from regulation problems!! Fisherman are allowed to fish in the spawning areas around sailor bar and are yanking fish off their redds and stepping all over the eggs. This has been happening for some time and has resulted in poor returns. The biologists on the Feather have done a much better job and have at times given eggs to many other hatcheries. To see some interesting reports go to this website. http://cahatcheryreview.com Even though the Feather releases tons of hatchery smolts every year my catch rate has been about 50% wild and yes you can tell if you hook a wild fish!

cmcdhuibh
03-08-2015, 11:03 PM
Could it be that the feather is much longer of a river and has a recuperation factor from problems being natural or most likely people.
The AR is only about 35miles long, so construction at Hazel could be a big factor. Even the on going construction on folsom could be having a effect on the water PH or something that fish or aquatic life is effected down stream.
Every storm drain runs into the river. Thats a lot of pollution.
The feather most likely suffers more from Ag pollution.

The people factor on the redds could be better controlled I guess. I'm still seeing fish making redds, if that's the right way to put it.

Terry Thomas
03-09-2015, 04:09 PM
I certainly wouldn't argue with any of the above comments, however, one of the more active members of this board had his best day of the season on Saturday on the American. He swung up 5 adults and landed 3. You just never know.

cmcdhuibh
03-09-2015, 06:12 PM
nothing like a sore shoulder and a big smile.

cyama
03-09-2015, 07:23 PM
That's good to hear Terry!! The Feather is fishing well if you know what they are eating.. Caddis are starting to pop!

Scott V
03-10-2015, 09:43 AM
No water, no fish. Why would a fish swim up the American when there is little to on water. And any water coming out is not comfortable for them.