PDA

View Full Version : light weight switch rods

beachbum2
03-05-2015, 01:19 PM
Looking for comments and/or opinions regarding echo rods and echo switch rods in particular? I have read lots of reviews about Echo rods particularly the 3,4,5wt SR switch rods...haven't really found anything negative. Has anyone casted these rods? Action? Anything helps.

Hogan Brown
03-05-2015, 01:28 PM
beachbum2...I have been an Echo/AirFlo pro for a few years now and been lucky enough own most of the SR's and even have a few of the new Switch Glass Rods...Let me know where you want to fish and what you want to do with the rod and I can give you some specific feed back according.

hogan brown

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-05-2015, 08:05 PM
Advise for everyone except other Spey experts:

**If you buy a two handed fly rod of any kind be sure to come into Kiene's and have one of our Spey experts help you get the right line on it.

I can attest to the fact that this is very important.

beachbum2
03-06-2015, 10:56 AM
@ Mr. Kiene.........I took a spey class already w/ Jeff Putnam, who is a fabulous teacher, and we talked about lines then. However, I have a 7wt that is great for steelhead and stripers, but need something lighter. The previous post has said the Echo SR switch are great rods.....what has been your experience with them?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-06-2015, 07:13 PM
I would recommend the Echo SR Switch rods or TFO Deer Creek Switch rods for good entry level values.

I think you might like a 4 weight.

hwchubb
03-12-2015, 08:18 PM
BB2,

Depending on what you want it for, light switch and spey rods are a joy to fish. I'd agree with Bill - I fish a Meiser 11' 4/5, and as we come into caddis season for bluebacks and shad on the American, Feather, Sac, etc, a rod that size is perfect. I've landed steelhead up to 10 lbs on it, but that size is best for 3-6 lb fish, and isn't too much for 12-18" trout and smallmouth. I've never cast the Echo rods, but have never heard any poor reviews of them.

Wayne

troutless
03-15-2015, 09:43 PM
Is there a difference between a switch rod and a spey rod other than length?
Switch 11' and under spey 11'+ obviously

Please let me know if you manage to reach a consensus.

Most people agree anything under 11' is a switch rod, over 12' is a spey rod. But then, most also agree, switches are short spey rods. And some manufacturers of rods in the low-11 range strongly object to their products being called switch rods.

In my opinion, names do not really matter. Pick a rod to suit the rivers you fish, fish you fish for, and casting style you prefer.

One thing I see a lot that I think is a mistake is the idea that small fish = short rod, big fish = long rod. Not necessarily true.

John Sv
03-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Wayne,
Sorry for the thread hijack, but I've hear kokes/sockeye called bluebacks and sea-run cutties called bluebacks. What valley river fish are you referring to as blueback? (curious)
Thanks,
John

BB2,

Depending on what you want it for, light switch and spey rods are a joy to fish. I'd agree with Bill - I fish a Meiser 11' 4/5, and as we come into caddis season for bluebacks and shad on the American, Feather, Sac, etc, a rod that size is perfect. I've landed steelhead up to 10 lbs on it, but that size is best for 3-6 lb fish, and isn't too much for 12-18" trout and smallmouth. I've never cast the Echo rods, but have never heard any poor reviews of them.

Wayne

Mark Kranhold
03-20-2015, 01:45 PM
John, the spring steelhead on the American get referred to as bluebacks and range from 2-6 lbs. You are right though, there are several different species that get referred to as bluebacks as well.

John Sv
03-20-2015, 03:36 PM
thanks Mark!

cyama
03-22-2015, 07:56 PM
"beachbum2...I have been an Echo/AirFlo pro for a few years now and been lucky enough own most of the SR's and even have a few of the new Switch Glass Rods...Let me know where you want to fish and what you want to do with the rod and I can give you some specific feed back according.

hogan brown"

Hogan did you get some of the fiberglass 3 and 4 weights from Echo. I was wondering if you have used those on the Yuba. They seem like they would be pretty fun with the low flows and the March Brown hatches… If so what rod was better and how did you set them up.

TaylerW
03-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but Gary Anderson up in southern Oregon builds amazing trout speys and switches, some of which are very reasonable for a custom rod.

cyama
03-22-2015, 09:21 PM
Tayler I figured you might have some info as well. Here is what I see out there. Meiser 3/4 or 4/5 switch for $585. Anderson down to 2 wt Elite for $750, Anderson Explorer down to 4 wt for $475 or Echo Fiberglass 3 and 4 wts for $275. Since you are a guide you probably get pro deals, but which Anderson would you suggest for the Yuba during the low flows. Also I have to say as a young guide you are very ethical when floating by wading anglers. Ethics are important out there!

hwchubb
03-25-2015, 08:37 PM
If at all possible, cast the rods before buying. With two handed rods, and the lighter ones especially, you really need to find one that works with your casting style - much more so than single handers.

If Kiene's doesn't have the Echo in stock, I wouldn't be surprised if they could get a demo for you fairly quickly. I've had Bob Meiser send me two demo rods when I was tossed up (offered to send 3), and I'm sure Gary Anderson might do the same. As you said, it's a significant purchase, and you want to avoid buyers remorse (that's the voice of experience - used two handers lose value almost as fast as cars!).

Mark Kranhold
03-25-2015, 09:00 PM
Cyama, I own a ACR 1172 matched up with a SGS skandit line. It is a gas to swinging soft hackles and sculpins with and I'm sure you could do some bobber fishing with it to, just not my cup of tea. The biggest fish I have got on it so far was a 18" steelie which was a kick in the pants, but I think it could handle more no problem. For the Yuba I would opt for Gary's 1173, just has a little bit more stick to handle some of those big Yuba fish! I think Putnam uses that rod for shad just to give you the idea of what it can handle.

TaylerW
03-25-2015, 10:56 PM
I have a few andersons that I am fond of. His 12'1" 5wt nova is a hell of a stick for the money. I've done a ton of scandi work with it as well as Skagit. The 1255 elite is an amazing rod! Too many to list. We can meet up on the American i have a ton of light Spey rods.

Don Powell
03-28-2015, 05:38 PM
It took me a while to figure this out but there are no "bad" golf clubs or fishing rods in our era- NOBODY would ever manufacture such a product... rather, we should all perceive the search for the "perfect" tool as such- "It is not the arrow, it is the Indian..." So as suggested previously, try some out and then you and only you, should make the decision... experience teaches this to anyone who has lived to be 50+ years?

hwchubb
03-28-2015, 07:00 PM
. experience teaches this to anyone who has lived to be 50+ years?

A 51 year old likes this...

Although I think there are a few bad rods out there... And bourbons.

TaylerW
03-28-2015, 07:17 PM
One night I got to sit with Gary Anderson, Al Perryman, Will Johnson, Rich Zellman and Keith Lyon while drinking a hefty dram of scotch. Favorite quote of the night "there's no such thing as a bad spey rod, but there are a ton of rods with the wrong line." When it comes to getting a rod, finding the line that makes it sing is much important than spending $xxxx on a rod!