PDA

View Full Version : Three Day Weekned

ICE
03-02-2015, 10:28 PM
Hey folks, looking for some inside info. I got limited time and fewer opportunities to get out. I'm taking three days off from the fam and work giving me 3 days to hit it and hit it hard! March 13 thru the 15th. Leaving Thursday night and returning Sunday. Up for up to a 5 hr drive out of the bay area, motel Thursday night, camping Fri & Sat. Looking for moving water & dog friendly. Any thoughts?

Usual Suspects....
Upper Sac. - Sounds Good Sims Flat area, Delta Area ??
Lower Sac. - City fishing, dog on a pontoon = no so much maybe
Trinity - Steelhead maybe, trout? This could work
Klamath - Same as above
Truckee - Sounds cold
American - Not real familiar with it. It could work out. Open?
Eastern Sierra - 6 hr's? Never been really want to but the passes are closed except 80
Pit - the old standby!! The dog has a love have relationship with it. Loves being out but hates the bowling balls and lack of level ground

Thoughts, recommendations C& flies?

Thanks

J. Ice

cdevine
03-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Hey folks, looking for some inside info. I got limited time and fewer opportunities to get out. I'm taking three days off from the fam and work giving me 3 days to hit it and hit it hard! March 13 thru the 15th. Leaving Thursday night and returning Sunday. Up for up to a 5 hr drive out of the bay area, motel Thursday night, camping Fri & Sat. Looking for moving water & dog friendly. Any thoughts?

Usual Suspects....
Upper Sac. - Sounds Good Sims Flat area, Delta Area ??
Lower Sac. - City fishing, dog on a pontoon = no so much maybe
Trinity - Steelhead maybe, trout? This could work
Klamath - Same as above
Truckee - Sounds cold
American - Not real familiar with it. It could work out. Open?
Eastern Sierra - 6 hr's? Never been really want to but the passes are closed except 80
Pit - the old standby!! The dog has a love have relationship with it. Loves being out but hates the bowling balls and lack of level ground

Thoughts, recommendations C& flies?

Thanks

J. Ice

My 2 cents.

American Avoid- Been a terrible season for fishing there. Very few steelies.
Truckee- Probably prime shape right now and will only get worse with water issues later. I fish it regulary and its fishing well. Both states too. You can hit east of Reno for streamers and dry.
Lower Sac- I wouldn't fish it without a drift boat. big water. Also been off color a lot this year so watch that.
Upper Sac- I like this section. Plus you can drive and get to Trinity and Pit. (could be a good bet)
Eastern Sierra- Might be a good option. West or East walker. Again water will be an issue later in season.

Good Luck!

ICE
03-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Thanks,
For the most part, my thoughts exactly. On the American, I was thinking the canyon section above Folsom, but was unsure of the regs.

Thanks
J. Ice

JasonB
03-03-2015, 05:17 PM
The South fork American above Folsom is open (catch and release), as is the Middle and North forks, and tribs.
Truckee would be a great bet, cold at night probably, not the best camping situation though.
Upper Sac could be fishing well then
Eastern Sierra would not be a good bet at all imo. East Walker has been flowing at a paltry 22cfs forever now, which can't be easy on the fish, and is a decidedly uninteresting angling experience. The West was still low, though that could change in a few weeks. Further south perhaps, but flows have been very low there too
Pitt will probably fish well, but sounds like you're also familiar with it's drawbacks. (our dogs least favorite river by far, they love the Truckee btw... always manage to find more tennis balls than we find fish)
The Trinity would probably be a top bet in terms of canine friendly option, and there should still be some steelhead around and always some big browns if you can find em. Great camping as well.

Of course spending 3 days camping out with the dog along just about any stream sounds pretty cool to me. Good luck,
JB

steveg137
03-03-2015, 11:38 PM
Looks like your plan involves most my regular spots

Imagine truckee cold for camping right now.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I'm looking to do similar in few weeks, first trip of 2015

cdevine
03-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Looks like your plan involves most my regular spots

Imagine truckee cold for camping right now.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I'm looking to do similar in few weeks, first trip of 2015

One last thing... The east and west walker are very low as one guy mentioned. Only in 20's CFS. I wouldn't fish the east no smaller than 50. I think your best bet is Upper sac. Weather is starting to get really nice and there is a lot of water to cover.

NVTrout
03-07-2015, 11:34 PM
Truckee. It will be in prime shape. Bwo's, skwallas, streamer fishing....brave the cold!

Plus, you could hit the lil Truckee.......and I know you said moving water, but Pyramid is a crazy good still water backup not too far away. If your dog is well behaved it could be doable. Lots of people out there though.

left field
03-18-2015, 05:38 PM
Looks like I'm in the same boat. Now have Fri to Mon and a little camper, so the Yuba (parking issues aside) will wait for another time.

Talked to Bob at the TFay fly shop and he said the U Sac was so so, but I do love that river.
A friend suggested the Pit. Never been, but as I'm alone will they find my body washed up down the river a few miles? I don't have a staff or studded boots with me.
Not sure I'm up for the Truckee.
Talked to the troutfitter and they said Hot Creek and the Owens were fishing really well. This was the last place I fished in CA and I'd love to go back. But assuming the passes are closed (hoe do I check) that means a 6.5 hour drive through Reno.

What would you do?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-18-2015, 06:19 PM
Lakes and spring creeks usually fish better early on.

left field
03-19-2015, 06:21 AM
Thanks, for responding, Bill. Does that mean the Eastern Sierras? I'm leaning that way. I'd do the Pit if I had someone with me, but it seems like it could be a slog.