PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Lake weekly Report March 1, 2015

Doug O
03-02-2015, 12:18 AM
Pyramid Lake Fishing Report for March 1, 2015

Because of the recent storms this week, the fishing at Pyramid has been very good throughout the entire day. With northeast winds blowing into the western beaches a good number of cutthroat trout came in! The water temps are 48.6º in 5 ft.of water (Fish Hawk thermometer). The “Pyramid” strain of fish are getting very active for their annual spawn. The females are becoming very plump with eggs and the males are getting very red. Most fish caught this week have been the “Pyramid” strain with a few BIG “Pilot” strain fish being caught.
The more popular beaches are starting to get crowded but there is still plenty of shoreline to fish. Popcorn beetles and buggers have been good but retrieving midge pupa patterns with the “Floater no Cator” technique and indicators have been crushing it! Tiger midges (copper/black) and 49ers ( red & gold) have been the ticket.
On February 28th Matt “Gilligan” Koles and I held another excellent Pyramid Lake Clinic. For pictures and more info go to the “Blog” page at www.pyramidlakeguideservice.com .
Our next clinic will be on March 14th. Give us a call for a spot.
Have Fun, Go Fish!

Morgan
03-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Love the constant and current reports Doug!
Pyramid is one of those places...like all. right place at the right time.
I was out yesterday from about noon to dark. And oh boy did I have/see some hogs rolling around. I swear one was over 20lbs near my ladder. Just unreal! Big fish rolling and cruising. Its getting to be that time of year. I seen a fish over ten pounds sip a tiny midge off the surface a rods length away. Oddly enough I couldnt get em to eat the indy for me. But I did get a few takes strippn. Cutties love that lap dance money ;)

ifsteve
03-03-2015, 01:03 PM
Well my experience there Friday afternoon, all day Saturday and Sunday, and first two hours yesterday would disagree with the "very good throughout the day" report. Its all a matter of definition but in that fishing time I landed 8 freaking trout. I would call that flat out awful. And for the record nobody I saw or talked to was having much luck although my buddy did get a nice 13# Pilot fish and a guy we talked to on Sunday got one that morning that was 34".

So big fish are around but it was slow.

Doug O
03-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Ifsteve,
It is true that some anglers experience different results, however my reports are from my angling experiences. As far as numbers go we had back to back 20 fish days on Friday and Saturday. Go to my blog page for pics and more info. http://www.calvadaflyfishing.com/?page_id=30. Pyramid is a day to day fishery with weather being a big factor and like Gangster says right place right time. Congrats on the 13lbr.!

ifsteve
03-03-2015, 02:41 PM
Ifsteve,
It is true that some anglers experience different results, however my reports are from my angling experiences. As far as numbers go we had back to back 20 fish days on Friday and Saturday. Go to my blog page for pics and more info. http://www.calvadaflyfishing.com/?page_id=30. Pyramid is a day to day fishery with weather being a big factor and like Gangster says right place right time. Congrats on the 13lbr.!

20 fish for two anglers is a fine day. Not sure I would call that very good but that's just me. In any event that's way better than what I managed to pull off or anybody else I talked to. Our best day was Saturday and three of us landed 23 fish and that was fishing from before daylight to almost dark. If I land less than a fish an hour I consider that pretty slow fishing. The good news, at least what I told my wife anyway, was that it was good practice for next year chasing sea run browns in Argentina. Long hours for low numbers.:)

gene goss
03-03-2015, 04:22 PM
20 fish for two anglers is a fine day. Not sure I would call that very good but that's just me. In any event that's way better than what I managed to pull off or anybody else I talked to. Our best day was Saturday and three of us landed 23 fish and that was fishing from before daylight to almost dark. If I land less than a fish an hour I consider that pretty slow fishing. The good news, at least what I told my wife anyway, was that it was good practice for next year chasing sea run browns in Argentina. Long hours for low numbers.:)

Steve....I'm sorry that a fish a hour is slow for you.
I think most of the people that are fishing Pyramid Lake now are there for the CHANCE of catching a 20+ pound Cutthroat, and we all know there are no guaranties that you will catch one, we all put in our time and keep coming back for that CHANCE.

bartly
03-03-2015, 09:07 PM
I had a fairly slow day Sunday from about noon till dark. There were about 6 guys on the beach, I caught one and saw those guys catch two. Mine was a nice 6-7 lb fish so that was nice. Dark male that screamed my line out two or three times, once into the backing. Kind of odd, almost all the big ones I've hooked this year have been really silver and they fight great, this was the first dark male that had some serious fight to him. Do the pilot peak males get as dark red as the old strain?

Morgan
03-04-2015, 07:51 AM
I agree with you Doug. A fish an hour a the mid can be a great day. SOme days its all about that one fish. Location and weather are key. Its not a place you can go fish and expect to slay it. But some days that can be had. Have I had one of those days...? NO. Have I had amazing memorable days out there with friends? Hell yes! Yesterday was one of them. Only 2 fish to hand....all frickn day. But it was a great day. The big fish were about. I saw 3 fish over 10lbs landed. One being 18. My buddy lost a hog that made that 18lb look almost small. A rods length away. But that was something I will never forget.

And I also landed my first fish over 10lbs. 11lbs 9oz! Wahooo! Finally. NOw im shooting for a bigger beast. And Im now hooked more than I was previously. My name is MOrgan and im an addict.

Morgan
03-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Finally! I love you pyramid lake!

ifsteve
03-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Steve....I'm sorry that a fish a hour is slow for you.
I think most of the people that are fishing Pyramid Lake now are there for the CHANCE of catching a 20+ pound Cutthroat, and we all know there are no guaranties that you will catch one, we all put in our time and keep coming back for that CHANCE.

Gene, absolutely correct. I don't go to Pyramid for numbers of fish....its for the "one." But in terms of pace I think less than a fish an hour, in general, is slow fishing. Between Friday afternoon till Monday morning I think I put over 20 hours of actual fishing time and landed 8 fish. That to me is pretty slow fishing.

Disappointed - nope. That's fishing and especially at the P.

Morgan
03-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Gene, absolutely correct. I don't go to Pyramid for numbers of fish....its for the "one." But in terms of pace I think less than a fish an hour, in general, is slow fishing. Between Friday afternoon till Monday morning I think I put over 20 hours of actual fishing time and landed 8 fish. That to me is pretty slow fishing.

Disappointed - nope. That's fishing and especially at the P.

On Sunday I fished for 6 hours. One fish to hand. I went 1 for 3. On tues I went 2 for 3 in 11 hours. So in 17 hours I landed 3 fish. BUT, I caught my first fish over 10lbs. Finally! And that is what pyramid is all about. Its not all about the fish. But the time spent on the water in nature enjoying the scenery as well. I have pyramid fever bad now!

Slobow
03-05-2015, 10:43 AM
ifsteve, I totally agree with you about what some consider here on the board as "good". Its almost like the individuals who post too much in my personal opinion, are trying too hard to get business. I know many Reno locals who don't like the constant updates but then again they don't run this website. I do however believe that you need to be top 10% to get them consistently unless its one of those wide open 50+ fish days when everyone can do it. Twenty years ago we fished all season to catch a ten pound fish. Now its not uncommon to did it twice a day! Whether its numbers per day or size you are looking for, I believe the fishery is doing great!

ifsteve
03-05-2015, 03:47 PM
Its probably my inherent makeup (retired engineer). I am a facts kind of guy and much prefer data to adjectives and superlatives. Everybody comes from a different perspective so one mans really good may in fact be excellent to another and poor to another.

As an example. On another forum I frequent a report was posted (this was a few year ago) about fishing on Henrys Lake. The OP said fishing was "good and getting better each day we have been here." Now that sounds "good", right? Well a mutual friend was at the Big H and ran into the OP so got the straight scoop. Fact was the first day they caught 1 fish in about 5 hours. Second day they caught 2 fish in 6 or so hours, and the third day they caught 4 fish in about 9 hours.

Now factually speaking the fishing did improve each day. However, those numbers would give most fisherman a different perspective than "good" for a fishery that aims to have a year round average of 1.1fish/hour. Point being a report to me is always better when I get data.