PDA

View Full Version : Smallmouth

Ryan
02-28-2015, 03:04 PM
The other day I had too much fun fishing for smallmouth, and there hasn’t been too much action on the Warm-Water board lately, so I figured I’d share a little info and a pic.

If you know of any streams or lakes that hold smallies, right now is a good time. With the weather having been so warm this Feb, they’re aggressive right now. I’ve also heard reports from higher elevation areas that say they’re taking jerk baits. My philosophy is that jerk-bait fishing = good fly fishing options. I guess they’re probably getting in they’re pre-spawn phase right now?

I really don’t like posting locations publicly, but I will give all other possible information out to make up for that. My smallmouth tactics are pretty much universal wherever I’m fishing. There’s countless smallmouth areas within a days drive from Sacramento in all sorts of directions. Best bet is to just figure out whichever location is closest if you don't already have locations figured out. I’m usually in a boat when I target smallmouth, but most water can be fished in float tubes, pontoons, kayaks, or prams, or they can even be taken from the banks of lakes or by wading in rivers.

I haven’t committed any time to topwater yet this year, I’m going to probably wait another week or two at least. Maybe I’m making a mistake here? Haha.

Ripping small unweighted or lightly weighted clousers has been key for me lately. Violent strips and pauses get most action when the water is warmer. I’m usually fishing 7’-10’ of water and use 6wts with a 200gr head. I think having a fast sink shooting head is crucial. I think the faster heads are more efficient for covering more water. Even if I’m only in 6’ of water I’ll just rip it back really quick as soon as it hits the water.

Hope this helps inspire some people to get out after these amazing predators!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-28-2015, 07:17 PM
I would love to catch one that big.......wonderful....thanks Ryan.

I heard this was a good time for Trinity Lake?

Ryan
03-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Thanks Bill! I haven't heard any reports from Trinity Lake. Never fished there, but I'd imagine its turning on now as well. I got word that Almanor is starting to pick up. I've been doing good down here in the valley though, I can see fish are really active here already. With the warmer weather this last month I figure smallmouth are probably getting more active all over.