PDA

View Full Version : a lone Fish Sniffer who actually knows what's REALLY going on with our steelhead :(

STEELIES/26c3
02-27-2015, 09:23 PM
I've never met the guy who posted the thread below but he is spot on...

I have mixed emotions when thinking about the future of our anadromous fisheries. With the continuing drought 2015 freshwater salmon season will be a bust even if there are more fish. Warm water will cause the fish to be on the move with lockjaw until they run into Keswick as they did last season, even bypassing the barge hole. Sure there will be good days where limits are easily attained but there will be lots of 1-2 fish days with everyone shrugging their shoulders as well. Then you add in the low water navigational hazards on the Sacramento (below 6000 cfs at Red Bluff gage) and the Klamath (below 2500 cfs at the Glenn gage) raising the odds of contacting the bottom or worse. This takes a little bit of the enjoyment out of the day for the captain as it's always on your mind, everyone on the boat is banging fish and drinking beer and I'm still thinking about that 6 inch deep riffle we have to get through to get back to the ramp.

When it comes to steelhead I have even more mixed emotions. The American to me is in it's own category. Sad to say since I live in Sacramento and grew up fishing it but the AR is a man made ditch. It's my batting cages. If there's fish I'll get out there a few days, no fish I don't even think about it. It's hatchery based so even with bad years the runs will always be there, at least salmon. Steelhead on the other hand, if the hatchery runs of out-of-basin Eel river fish collapse, say this year they don't hit their quota then the hatchery has a massive die off of what smolts they do produce, worst case scenario, it's over. DFW will never again plant out-of-basin stock in any river even if it's replacing runs that were already there. With all the science on hatchery steelhead straying and a shift back towards wild runs. I don't think hatcheries will continue producing out-of-basin stock even with existing programs. What is the benefit other than sport recreation of the American River having 1000 Eel River fish in it? Science and organizations with their own agendas says the risk outways the reward. And we all know California politics doesn't give a rats a$$ about sport fishing. Hatchery salmon at least have a commercial industry to lobby.

When it comes to wild steelhead I think numbers will continue to crash and our opportunities to fish for them will crash as well. Sure their existance might hang on by the skin of their teeth as they are in some southern California drainages but fishing for them, forget about it. It is painfully obvious the inpact vinyards, logging, road construction, and pot grows are having on our coastal rivers. One river in particular due west of Sacramento has been devastated by the introduction of vinyards, logging, and illegal land use. Just in the last 10 years it has become filled in with silt and during the critical heatwaves of the Summer months the vinyards pump every drop of water out of the upper river to save their vines. You can watch the gage go from 6 to .05 cfs during the heatwave then come back up to 6 cfs when the weather cools. This traps the smolts trying to get down river to the estuary as the water temps become lethal. Go 15 miles north of this river and there is a healthy river with no silt, cool Summer time flows and twice as many fish (on a much smaller river). What's the difference on this smaller river 15 miles north? No vinyards or logging. It's just a matter of time before this river gets raped by the wine industry too. Somehow steelhead with their resiliency are hanging on, coho and lamprey eels have all disapeared from these rivers in the last 20-30 years. You can see this up and down the coast. I think our opportunities to fish these rivers will start going away with all out closures in the near future.

J W

Petundra
02-27-2015, 11:01 PM
Great read, but it made me very sad. The plight of the steelhead, salmon and thousands of other species is just a precursor to what will soon happen to us on our current course. We are destroying our world one specie at a time and our turn is soon coming (overpopulation). I believe Mother Nature is soon going to correct the current out of balance situation with drought,famine,disease etc... Maybe we can toast our demise with a nice napa cab and a spliff.:(

Adam

mattv-mcfly
02-27-2015, 11:45 PM
I've considered all of this for a while now. When I cradle that steelhead and admire it for the few seconds I have with it I take into consideration everything its been through to get to this point. Life or death. Once it kicks away and slowly returns to the river I know that there is hope for future generations and I am a part of what made that happen.
When I am fishing. Fish are friends. Not food. We all must play our part whether small or big to ensure the survival of our friends.

STEELIES/26c3
02-28-2015, 08:19 PM
napa cab and a spliff

Ironically, the production of both aforementioned 'spirits' is greatly contributing to the demise of coastal steelhead...

Rmacneil656
03-01-2015, 10:02 AM
I been on the same page for a while too, I rarely fish the American because to me I believe that there is no way it could ever be a self sustaining ( steelhead) fishery. Plus I become discouraged when I see trash, needles and lead weights in the water.

Here are a couple other thoughts to add to the mix:

I believe that we are on the right track with starting to limit hatcheries. However I don't think that bonking hatchery fish is the way to go either. Not because of the gene pool dilemma, but because every time you bonk a hatchery fish you are supporting the existence of Hatchery programs. The government will look at the number of fish you take from the river and acknowledge that the population is using Hatchery fish for harvest and that they need more hatchery fish.

With steelheading becoming more of a prestigious sport, more people ( including myself) are chasing wild steelhead. The improper handling of these fish can be just as dangerous as habitat loss imo. Some articles I have come across suggest 100% mortality rate of beached steelhead, & every 30 seconds a steelhead is out of water causes a reduction of spawning capability: 30 seconds = 40 % reduction of spawning capability, 60 seconds = 70% reduction of spawning capability & 1:30 seconds = 100% loss of spawning capability due to the mortality of the fish. Please do not quote these numbers as I did not do the study myself, I am also going of memory but the point is the big picture, keep em in the water. You can still get awesome pictures of fish in the water.

Hatchery fish putting up less of a fight: have you ever heard this? I have heard it sever times and wondered if it could even be true. I spoke with a guide who said that clipped adipose fin steelhead loose at least 10% swimming efficiency with the flipped fin. Over all this makes their spawning journey much harder, and could be the reason for hatchery fish not fighting as much or being less aggressive to a swung fly as they are more tired. It could also be the reasoning as to why hatchery fish have lower wild scenario spawning numbers. I have been researching this, but cannot seem to find the proof behind it, but overall it makes a ton of sense to me. If steelhead didn't need an adipose fin, wouldn't they have evolved without one!?

Lastly: I heard someone say that looking back at their fishing journal that El Nino years tend to have smaller Steelhead runs. He didn't know why, but even though we are susposto get more water, the water is on average warmer. Maybe the fish can sense this and hold in the ocean for another year? Who knows, could be reasoning to why runs have been funky this year ( on many rivers)

Just some added food for thought.

Digger
03-14-2015, 09:59 PM
"really knows" what's going on?
This is an old story written over, and over.
And now Vineyards are the latest in a long line of perps.

Peel back the onion and WE are all at fault

watso087
03-15-2015, 11:16 AM
The only way to save the American is to bulldoze the length the river and bring in the banks to a about 30 yards. River is too wide and wat r too low. Water temp is gonna be to warm and everything dies. River bed should only be maybe twice the size of truckee. Thus would allow for faster water and the water temp would not get top high for the salmanoids.

watso087
03-15-2015, 11:18 AM
Man made flows at 30k csf created this problem. Banks are washed out. No vegetation. And 2 in deep water in the flats and tailouts are man made disaster

cmcdhuibh
03-15-2015, 11:49 AM
Have you been here during flood years? The AR parkway is flood control. Downtown Sac. would flood consistently up to the second story on some buildings. Old sac is one story higher than it used to be because of this flooding. I've seen water at Hazel dam almost to the top of the gates.
The island below sunrise wasn't there. Yes dredging it deeper would help but it wouldn't last.

JasonB
03-15-2015, 02:05 PM
Man made flows at 30k csf created this problem. Banks are washed out. No vegetation. And 2 in deep water in the flats and tailouts are man made disaster

30,000cfs, are you kidding me? That flow might seem high compared to what we're seeing the last couple years (droughts), but it is hardly a scouring flood for that particular stretch of river. 30K is still pretty modest spring time high water, considering the size of the basin that it drains. Used to get a LOT higher than that, and still does from time to time (over 100,000 cfs a few times in pretty recent times)...
Man made disaster perhaps, though I don't think that too many residents of Sacramento would be happy to see Folsom dam (and Nimbus) removed? I don't think taking bulldozers to the entire stream would be a favorable action either, and sounds precisely like a man made disaster in the making.
JB