PDA

View Full Version : Gary Warren had a small fly shop in Sacramento

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-23-2015, 07:27 AM
Gary Warren is gone now but was a very popular fly fishing guide on the Fall River and Hat Creek.

Gary had a small fly shop here in town for a short while.

He worked at a shop in the south area, The Sports Den.

He also worked with me at the Tower of Sports.

He moved up near Burney, CA and went to work for Spring Creek Anglers.

He later moved up to Oregon.

Anyone remember his fly shop?

Anyone remember what the name of the shop was?

Geoff H.
02-23-2015, 07:54 AM
Not sure I remember Gary but I was wondering what ever became of Mike Monroe.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-23-2015, 08:14 AM
Mike Monroe closed his shop, The Fly Hutch - Sacramento, and retired some years ago.

Mike is a world class fly fisher and fly tier.

Several of my friends fish with him.

I believe he still lives in Sacramento.

Bob G
02-23-2015, 09:00 AM
Hey Billy -

I remember Gary and his Shop...always a pleasant and helpful time in his presence.

Thanks for the memory.

Bob

Terry Thomas
02-23-2015, 09:16 AM
Along with Bill, Gary was one of the great guys in the industry. I bought my first Powell fly rod from him at his shop near the corner of Fruitridge and 65th. A short time later, Gary moved into Wayne Cortipasi's (sp?) sports shop on Florin Road. A little fly shop history in Sacramento.

Cmcculloch
02-23-2015, 01:48 PM
I remember a small fly shop on Fulton Ave on the right heading towards the Freeway. It was about 6 blocks or so from the freeway. Don't recall the name however. Probably 30+ years ago.

Geoff H.
02-23-2015, 06:14 PM
I spent a lot of time in the Hutch and still have a couple of the old Scott G rods and Hardy reels that Mike outfitted me with. He taught me a lot about tying and fishing. Glad to hear that he is still on the right side of the grass. I agree, a great talent.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-24-2015, 07:21 AM
Mike was very famous for his sophisticated fly tying classes.

Darian
02-24-2015, 11:21 AM
I always thought Mike was one of the most practical tyers I've seen. Never using anything more than was necessary to catch whatever fish he was after. For example, his Shad flies consisted of a tapered floss body, bead chain eyes and tying thread of the same color (flo. orange, pink or chartreuse). All tied on a Mustad 3908c hook.

Geoff H.
02-24-2015, 12:03 PM
Not to mention the "Rancho Seco Killer," one of the simplest and most effective leech patterns I have ever used.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Mike fished Putah Creek for trout for many years. It was one of his favorite places in the 1970s and 1980s.

He also fished Ranch Seco for LMB. I think he used a Casual Dress nymph there.

Mike also invented the Para-tilt mayfly cripple imitation.

Charles Won
02-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Hi Billy:

Few of us used to rent Circle 7 every year trying to time the Hex hatch. Two uncles were fortunate enough to fish with Gary Warren. Naturally being a gear junkies, they would bring multiple rods (intermediate lines, floating lines, several different kinds of emergers, etc.).

Said Gary showed up on the dock early evening and didn't have much gear, took them downstream, and tied on his signature size 18 black caddis that looked like it was tied mid 60s. Had them swing floating lines. Big fish started waking to the bug, and admittedly they couldn't land most of them, and broke many off. The both started bring multiple rods so they could tie Gary's black caddis on all of the rods so they wouldn't have to tie on a new bug in the low light .... prime Hex hour and Gary has them swinging caddis. What a stud.

I've had the privilege of fishing with Carl Jaeger, Bob Cockcroft, and even Gage Duran (God rest his soul) on the Fall, but I really wish I could've fished with Gary.

Thank you old timers, pioneers, and legends for developing this stuff and teaching patiently. Thanks Billy for the good memories.

Respectfully,

Charles Won

Mike Stroud
03-08-2015, 04:02 PM
When I was a kid, Mike Monroe gave me casting lessons and the Curtis Creek Manifesto. Turned into a life passion. Thanks to Mike.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-27-2015, 06:13 PM
Gary Warren's daughter, Helen, just emailed me.

She was Googling her dad's name and found this long string of posts.

She said his shop was called "Warren's Rod & Reel".......

She was happy to see her dad was still remembered.