PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Fishing Report 2/16/15

Doug O
02-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Fishing Report for Pyramid Lake 2/16/15

This week at Pyramid was good early in the week, just at the tail end of the last storm. Since then the high pressure started to build up with bright sunny days and little wind, the daylight hours got tougher. First light and the late evening grab has been best, however a few nice fish have been caught during the day. A bunch of smaller fish have been coming into the beeches, they are starting to get colored up. With the record warm winter things have been happening a bit sooner than previous years. For example, the insect hatches have been occurring much earlier than usual. This is a scary thing for the Truckee River, it could be a repeat of last summer's extreme low water situation. Retrieving midnight cowboys, popcorn beetles, and booby flies have been very good producers. We had a great session one evening on the "Floater no Cator" technique. It is an excellent technique that has been proven for several decades, it is the real deal. This coming week might be tough again during the day but try to concentrate on fishing early and late. BIG fish are out there getting ready to be caught, so go for it!

Have fun,

Doug O.

rh crank
02-18-2015, 09:35 AM
Doug,
Good report. I'm invited to go in a few weeks for the first time. My fishing partner has only fished PL once so I can't get much info.
Hope it's not giving up the store, but can you describe "floater no cator"? I'm a lousy tier but will be picking up materials at the show this weekend. Will try the beetles, ect.
Last question, if you had to recommend one line or shooting head what would it be? I have access to 6, 7, and 8 wt rods.
Thanks, RH

Doug O
02-18-2015, 11:09 AM
RH,
Thanks for the questions. The "Floater no Cator" is an old technique that is simply fishing with a nymph/pupa with a floating line and no strike indicator. Come by our booth this weekend at Pleasanton. I will be there with my partner Dave Stanley at the "Truckee River Outfitters" booth. I'll be glad to show you some different retrieves with the "Floater no Cator". We will have some of our proven fly patterns for sale as well.
One of the best shooting head type lines is the RIO Outbound Short at 6ips sink rate. The Rio people will be also be at the show. They will have a complete selection of floating and sinking lines.
See you there,
Doug O.

rh crank
02-18-2015, 12:08 PM
See you there Doug, it'll probably be Saturday.

jbird
02-18-2015, 12:55 PM
Hey Doug
My buddy Curtis bumped into you at Pyramid some time ago. Said nothing but good things about you. Curtis is what Id call a silent legend. He has caught more big trout than anyone I know. But is a man of few words. He is the original "hog whisperer". He has also told me of some guides hes bumped into out there (some who we all know) that snubbed him. If they only knew this mans history, theyd have removed their hats and extended their hand. Between the kindness you showed him and the kindness you display on this forum, let me say thank you :)

Doug O
02-18-2015, 04:30 PM
Thank you very much jbird. I remember talking to Curtis, he was a very nice man. We had a great conversation talking about fishing. I enjoy meeting guys like him. Tell him I said hello.
Thanks again

RH, See you at the show.

Bob G
02-20-2015, 10:07 AM
Hey Doug -

How is this year's show?

Bob