PDA

View Full Version : Winston Micro Spey

NCL
02-11-2015, 06:33 AM
I have been looking at this rod in a four weight for use on the Lower Sac and it looks interesting. Curious if anyone on the board has tried this rod or either of the other weights? What were the good and bad points? What line weight did you use? Thanks.

Dragking
02-11-2015, 10:18 AM
This is hardly helpful because I've never fished with that rod, but have also been thinking about that set up for the Lower Sac. Seems like it could be a really fun rod to swing softies in the evening.

Rmacneil656
02-11-2015, 10:33 AM
I have not used the rod, but I know a gentleman who has the 4wt and 3wt. He love swinging soft hackles with them. Were you thinking of swinging or nymphing with this setup? If you are thinking of swinging, small flies are best. I know in Winston Micro spey video below they are swinging small sculpins, I would imagine that swinging a type-3 and small weighted fly or soft hackles on a floating line would be a blast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=614Vt7cQ47g

NCL
02-13-2015, 07:23 AM
I would use it primarily to swing flies, although I may use it with streamers and or nymphs. I looked at the 3 weight but the 4 weight seemed to be a little better option for the Lower Sac, of course that is speculation since I have not actually held either rod.

Fly Right
02-15-2015, 09:10 PM
I have a 4wt Anderson that I use to swing on the Lower Sac and Feather. Generally I will use a bugger with a soft hackle dropper. The movement of the bugger undulating in the current will put an action on the soft hackle that cannot be duplicated.