PDA

View Full Version : Truckee, CA.

bigfly
02-10-2015, 10:55 AM
It's been a while.......
Was a "weathery" week.
Poured rain onto what little snow we had near town. A skosh of new on the crest....
Both pounding rain, and heavy flakes...and heavy winds.....
(I took a couple days off with chest crud, sat by a fire and tied the perfect Skwalla).
Knocked power out in town, always fun to see people shopping in the dark.
Get the distinct feeling they don't practice darkness very much. Always bring a head light....in the mountains.
Only the cash registrar were powered......

The Truckee is running a little high right now and off color.
Glennshire stretch is wade-able, below Boca is two handed rod territory......
But those who know.......shared fishing successes of both bows and browns.
The menu always expands during high flows, serious fishers take advantage.
This week will warm dramatically, the flows will drop, and clear.
One nice thing about the T is how quickly it clears.
Bees, and other flying bugs are showing up.
It's pushing it, but this might be the week for Skwallas. Would be the earliest ever....
Try a dark 2nd instar Stone. Several fish rose for Adult recently, but none are out that I can see.
Nor have I found the nymphs near shore yet....that is the tell....
A big difference between stockers and wild fish, is the wild fish remember this bug over 5-6 years and more....I love Skwallas because of this very thing. After eating Midges all winter, nature serves a double bacon cheese burger......on top.
Midges are still a dominate bug. I've been fishing them as a dry, and drowning them.
I have convinced several "old guys" that they can learn to fish the little stuff...let me know if I can help you...
BWOs still making an occasional appearance. Dry or nymphs....
Alders are budding, grass is greening, zero issues moving around the water. (Maybe bring a staff.)
Most of the water fowl are acting amorous, and thinking Spring.
I will state once again, this IS the time to fish, not this Summer when there is no water left.....
Do not fish out of seasonal habit, it's the worst approach.
Right now the fog is lifting, sun peeking, and hoar frost is drifting and twinkling like diamonds.......

Jim

Chris Evison
02-10-2015, 06:02 PM
As usual a great report Jim, really enjoy reading your posts. On top of Kingsbury we got close to 5 inches of rain thru Sunday night, then 5 inches of snow. At 7700ft on east side that 5 inches is we have on the ground. Pretty scary, fingers crossed for big March and April snows. Keep the reports coming!

bigfly
02-11-2015, 09:05 AM
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/Stock/20150210_130130.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/Stock/20150210_130130.jpg.html)

A popular spot for reference. Looks fishy to me......
High water mark was two days ago, water well up in the grass (The line of sticks in foreground).
Now the water is dropping 2-3" per day and is green/tan and clearing fast.
Water has warmed to a fishy forty+ degrees.
Warm enough to swing........
First Robin of the year as well....
Saw my first Little Winter Stone yesterday....(1)
Spied maybe 2 BWOs...
Midges are happening near noon, with mating swarms about 4:30 pm. Clumps after that.......
I'd fish subsurface for a while yet, water's a bit high for risers.
As soon as it stops freezing at night, it's officially spring, and we will start going off color.
It's game-on right now though.
Thanks Chris....

Jim

Morgan
02-11-2015, 09:27 PM
Nice read Jim.
Its ridiculous how warm it is for mid feb. Scary actually.
I would usually be bundled up throwing tiny bugs on local waters. Not this year. Its long sleeves, no fleece and huckin streamers.
As you said. Fish now while we still have water. Hope for a miracle March and nasty April.

bigfly
02-12-2015, 09:47 AM
A buddy found the first Skwalla yesterday.
I love being able to call it close on bugs appearing.......no schedule to this really, it's, are the conditions right?
Makes fishing a little easier if you time it...
Tie them, buy them, but don't wait, it will be a whole year till we see'em again.

Next bug.......fly'n ants.....start tying.....

Jim

cmcdhuibh
02-12-2015, 10:28 AM
I envy you living in Truckee, I know its only 100 miles from Sac. but it's 100 miles from Sac.
Enjoy your posts cheers Chris

bigfly
02-12-2015, 11:56 AM
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/Clients/BUGS/skwalla.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/Clients/BUGS/skwalla.jpg.html)

Just so you BELIEVE......the reports...sz8 and be there.
Remember, they walk to the water...that means fishing near bank for spooky fish.
Thanks Chris..

Mr T
02-12-2015, 01:08 PM
Eating lunch and dreaming right now- thanks for the distraction.

What size are the skwalas?

cdevine
02-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Yeah, Jim has a nice way with words. Fish while you can is the message I'm taking away. Our reservoirs in the valley are in a little better shape. Folsom actually resembles a lake again. I'm like you... 100 miles down the hill from Truckee but still 100 miles. Jim skwalla subsurface or in the film?

Mr T
02-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Yeah, Jim has a nice way with words. Fish while you can is the message I'm taking away. Our reservoirs in the valley are in a little better shape. Folsom actually resembles a lake again. I'm like you... 100 miles down the hill from Truckee but still 100 miles. Jim skwalla subsurface or in the film?

Word- might have to swing a day there soon.

Scott V
02-12-2015, 04:15 PM

He states a size 8 in the post just below the picture. Took me a while to find it myself. After the picture I went into dream land.

bigfly
02-12-2015, 04:44 PM
They are a tad smaller it seems than Yuba bugs...Alpine elevation edition.
Sz8, or sz6 if you can't find smaller. Personally, store bought flies need to be trimmed flat of hackle on bottom.
Float'em, if you need to, drown them if you see/hear no rises. Remember, if they floated any lower in the water, they would be underwater....
Thanks guys......No editing involved, just stream of consciousness.
Now is the time to schedule your spring trips.
The critters are saying they don't think more winter is coming.......
Twice in "recorded" history have we rallied in March, so the odds are low......
Close to fifty years watching the weather in the Sierra, this is the worst I've seen.
But nowhere is it written we get what we want in life.
I'm not a half-full/half-empty glass guy. I drink what's there.
So.....fish now.

Jim

Ralph
02-12-2015, 11:36 PM
Hi Jim-
The stonefly in the picture is a member of the Nemouridae, and is not a Skwala. Nemourids have very small "tails" that hide under the wing and a distinctive "X" pattern in the wing venation as seen at the widest spot on the right side of the wing in the photo. Skwala have a very dissimilar wing venation and their "tails" are about as long as the antennae and extend well beyond the end of the wings. Both Skwala and Nemourids are hatching in the region right now. The trout know the difference between the two bugs because the Skwala is around a #8 and a big Nemourid would be #14.
Best,
R

bigfly
02-13-2015, 03:25 AM
Thanks Ralph, my buddy shot that picture...
I shouldn't have called it without one in hand, good eye.
Thought it was a tad early...but was closer to sz 8, and I wondered about the tail...the venation is beyond me mostly..till now.
Nor does it have the orange-ish spot behind head. Which should have been enough hint...
I skew large...tying these for holding power a sz up and heavy wire. So it's recipe sz for me, not actual...
I tie a sz 6 for the Skwallas..seen enough dry fly hooks straightened...
This year I'll catch both to compare for tying.
Do the Nemouridae have same MO of walking out onto the water surface tension...?
I'm not "THE" bug guy, the learning cont.....
Thanks again.

Jim

Bob G
02-13-2015, 10:08 AM
Jim and Ralph -

Thank you so very much for this discussion...great stuff!

Bob

WinterrunRon
02-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Jim and Ralph -

Thank you so very much for this discussion...great stuff!

Bob

Ditto from me. Don't fish it often, bugs aren't my thing, but enjoy your passion.

Ralph
02-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Do the Nemouridae have same MO of walking out onto the water surface tension...?

Jim

I don't know Jim. I've only seen them them oviposit in the splash zone and do touch and goes like Little Yellow Stones. That doesn't mean they might not have more tricks up their sleeves.

steveg137
02-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Jim Ralph love your posts, don't be shy. Keeping them coming. My bad knee is keeping off banks right now, itching for a fish.

Ralph
02-13-2015, 11:02 PM
I derive a lot of pleasure from understanding what makes a river "work". But while I'm describing the life histories of all the critters around us, I have no doubt Jim would be fishing circles around me. There is no substitute for being on the water all day, every day. Back when I was a guide, there was a certainty that I could pull out a given fish from a given spot at any given time. Today, I'm happy to catch a few fish, but no longer is anything a given. The torch has been passed without any regrets in the world.

NVTrout
02-13-2015, 11:03 PM
Appreciate the Truckee stuff guys. I'm a bit of a Truckee addict myself. There's just something about her. She doesn't give it up easy, but when she does........yea, its good. I've been doing my snow dance.

Jim I'd love to walk the river with you some day. I dig your approach, and enjoy your reports. You have a lot of Truckee knowledge that can only be gained by spending time on the water.

I'd been fishing the NV side weekly, up until the river came up. bwo's hatching, and good size, like 16ish. Plenty of midges. Some risers now and again. Nymphing and streamers were producing some good fish. There doesn't seem to be the same number of fish. Im sure we had some not make it.

I've got a green light from the wife on Monday. I'm thinking about hittin the Cali side. Maybe I'll see you on the river.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u240/clubberlang332/IMG_0886_zps7742d0ab.jpg

NVTrout
02-13-2015, 11:17 PM
I derive a lot of pleasure from understanding what makes a river "work". But while I'm describing the life histories of all the critters around us, I have no doubt Jim would be fishing circles around me. There is no substitute for being on the water all day, every day. Back when I was a guide, there was a certainty that I could pull out a given fish from a given spot at any given time. Today, I'm happy to catch a few fish, but no longer is anything a given. The torch has been passed without any regrets in the world.
Ralph, I love the entomology. Thanks for pointing out the differences in the Nemouridae and skwalas. I learn something new every day!

I think that's the best part of fly fishing.......when you think you have it figured out, you learn something new.....or it all changes and you have to adapt.

I've been working on a skwala dry I think I might throw around this weekend....

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u240/clubberlang332/IMG_1434_zpse72a44a1.jpg

bigfly
02-14-2015, 12:58 AM
I seriously doubt I would out-fish Ralph, because I would probably be watching, more than fishing.
For the first twenty years I caught fish, and cared little for bugs.....while Ralph walked that path...
Bugs were more trouble to learn, than I could deal with.
My background is hunting of quarry, not matching the hatch.
I avoid Latin like the plague, and don't have the grey cells left to learn it. Although I learned Nemouridae today.....
So, I carry a bug seine and use it every time I go out.
I carry a specimen vial filled with alcohol to keep anything interesting that's found.
Then take it to the fly shop when I go shopping for flies.
No Latin or silly fly names to learn.......
If there isn't a fly that's close, I learn to tie it.
That's called, an advantage.....especially in a one fly-shop town. (The fish here could stock the boxes...).

When you know where the fish is, and why, as well as what it's eating, (and after watching Ralph's video), you know how it should be served.......
You won't need luck anymore, and you can go ahead and call yourself a FLY-FISHERMAN.
And the fish will have your picture up at fish school.......Have you seen this man?

My goal now is to catch a fish with one drift, a bit like call pocket billiards...and spend the rest of the time out on water, observing.
Instead of flogging the water for hours and catching a bunch. Big, or many was my process for many years....
Now, knowing is more important than anything else.
When you get to the stage when you can go to fish without luck, and turn bigger heads, just remember, the river becomes your responsibility. Treat it well.
And if you don't figure out the bug this year, it will be back next year, just not on the same day......

Jim

JasonB
02-14-2015, 09:15 AM
Great stuff in this thread! I think we could all learn a thing or two from reading and re-reading several of these posts (I sure have) by both Jim and Ralph. This thread speaks volumes to the experience and character of both to see the tone of the discussion. This is exactly the sort of thing that has lead to many an internet pissing match, and battle of egos. It's great to see such humility, and I cannot agree more with this concept of being the eternal student. As in all things in life: "There is always more to learn"

Thanks for furthering our collective education guys.
JB

NVTrout
02-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Yep, totally agree Jason. I know I've learned a bunch from both Ralph and Jim. Just regular guys who are "into it", good at what they do, and willing to share. You don't always see that in the fly fishing world. I've seen both ends of the sprectrum, runnin around the eastern Sierra........especially on the water.....I've encountered guides that I would never fish with, or recommend anyone to. I wont got into specifics, or name names. I've just come across behavior that was very off-putting, I guess you could say. I've also come across some great guys who are the ones I follow on line, recommend people to, etc.......

bigfly
02-14-2015, 10:18 AM
NV...
wanted to say, nice fish, and fly....
You may need a bigger net....which is a common problem on the T...

And I wore shorts and t-shirt yesterday, even wet waded for a bug sample....
Seems like Spring...to me.

Jim

NVTrout
02-14-2015, 11:04 AM
Thanks Jim. Not a bad problem to have I guess, haha! That's a 30" Brodin, and I love it, but that long handled Nomad I saw you show on here looks pretty sweet......Which model was that? I've definitely been in situations on the T where a bigger, longer net would come in handy. Those Nomads look bomb proof as well.

Funny little aside. A buddy of mine moved out here from the east coast. He shows up to the T with a tiny little net. It was this cute little thing. I tried not to rib him too much. But I gave him the "you might wanna get a bigger net for this river" comment. He found out why pretty quick! haha.

bigfly
02-14-2015, 11:23 AM
I went with the guide net.
But next will be the El jefe grande...
Medium to long handle is better, because many fish here know what knees and a net mean.
Getting them to the net is one thing, getting them in is another....

NVTrout
02-14-2015, 12:01 PM
I was just looking at em again on the fishpond site.

El Jefe Grande......now that's a cool name for a net! If they had the El Guapo I'd be all over that one.

I like how they show you the size of the nets next to a 6' tall reference dude.

I can see why you might want the El Jefe Grande after having the Guide. Little longer, little bigger head.

I believe a nomad is definitely in my future.

itsbenlong
02-15-2015, 04:10 PM
Thought I would chime in to your net posts.......I bought the Nomad Mid-length last year and I walk & wade 99% of the time.

I love it! It is really nice especially when netting fish on my Spey rod.....Can't say anything bad about those nets......or would want to...lol

cdevine
02-16-2015, 08:21 AM
Thought I would chime in to your net posts.......I bought the Nomad Mid-length last year and I walk & wade 99% of the time.

I love it! It is really nice especially when netting fish on my Spey rod.....Can't say anything bad about those nets......or would want to...lol

Any secrets about securing nets? I walk and wade 99.999% of the time and I hike a lot too. (Bushwhack might be a better term). I lost a brodin a couple months back on the truckee. Still mad about that. Hopefully somebody found it and its landed a few fish for them. I'm all for good karma. The magnetic system is nice when you reach the water but I need some sort of clip and clamp while I'm hiking.

bigfly
02-16-2015, 09:09 AM
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/Stock/th_PC220132.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/Stock/PC220132.jpg.html)

The best way I've found to carry a net, is to buy a large "Gear Keeper" brand retractor.
I didn't like the net hitting me in the back of my leggs, so I moved the lash point to the middle of handle.
Used a velcro watch band to attach.
Best part, is you can lock net retractor at full extension.....
The net floats and is attached, so you can use both hands for the fish...and pics.
I clip it to a client so they can do the honors, and I don't lose my net...........
The Jefe is not wider than my shoulders but longer hoop.
Perfect for bushwacking and big fish.
The most amazing thing about the Nomad, is I haven't been able to break it yet........

Just so this post doesn't ride at the top of the page.....
Thought I'd update now......

The T has dropped to perfect levels/clarity/temp. I don't use the p-word loosely.....
Saw two BWOs yesterday.... fish a nymph first....juju baetis might do it.
A few little Winterstones...
Midges, midges......got to love that the smallest bug fed them all winter, but I think fish are a little underwhelmed now that spring is offering other fare.....but a zebra midge still gets it done...a gnat after 4:00pm.
The big bugs are about too, but just starting.......Skwallas are on the water, watch for risers.....
Swinging is worth it.
Fish are feisty........
Shorts and T-shirt weather, I actually wet-waded for a short time this week chasing a bug, unheard of for Feb........
The seasonal creeks (still closed) are flowing all night now, so spring is here.
If it gets too much warmer, we could be out of water by the end of May/early June.
My phone is starting to ring....some folks are listening.....
Fish now.........

Jim

NVTrout
02-16-2015, 10:40 AM
Cool. I had been wondering how you rigged your net. Maybe the best thing about the Nomads is the light weight. As long as you can stow it securely, and out of the way, you can carry a bigger net without draggin you down while hiking around.

I think I'm headin to the T in a couple hours. Prolly take the two hander throw some meat, and take a dry rod hopin for a riser.

itsbenlong
02-16-2015, 08:39 PM

Here is a photo of how I carry my net but plan to rig a better setup soon. I just need a lanyard of some sort to add to the handle so I can clip it to my belt and be able to use both hands. The way I carry it isn't the best when walking through trees or bushes. However, when I do, I just swing my bag more to my left side and the net is straight up and down. It is easier for me to pull it out to net a fish when it is at an angle. When I use my Spey Rod I usually set the net straight up and down for that as well because if I don't my rod handle hits the net handle.

I really like Jim's (BigFly) set up with his net. Might give that a try. Thanks Jim!

jmccandless
02-25-2015, 11:50 AM
Hey Jim,

I'm the guy you spoke with along Glenshire road Saturday morning (2/21), great meeting you and thanks for the tips! I'm generally a lurker here but, I recognized your license plate after we started talking.

I spent a little more time on the Truckee then drove up to the Wild Trout section but, given the number of cars/people on the river I continued to the Little Truckee. The crowds weren't much better there, it was the busiest I've seen either river in a long time. The weather was perfect,... I managed a nice rainbow on the LT drifting a dark stonefly, he unbuttoned at my feet but it felt good to have some weight on the end of the rod. Saw one small stone fluttering on the surface but no other hatch action...

Thanks for these reports!

Jason

bigfly
02-25-2015, 12:22 PM
Was a pleasure Jason....
Glad you hooked up at least......
Many people come fishing, fewer are catchers.
Mostly I watch to see if they adjust weight/depth/flies....most don't.
If they don't, I know I can step in behind them and catch fish.
So a crowded river isn't bad...necessarily.

The news right now is it's perfect again....
Had a great afternoon fishing dries yesterday to spooky fish..
Sz 20 Burks silhouette Dun or something close......mud your leaders....
The water is getting very low on the Glennshire run.....
Fish see you before you see them...be a little sneaky.
A dusting of snow this weekend won't help the drought, but it will chase off the riffraff.....
See you on the water.

Jim

cdevine
02-25-2015, 01:21 PM
Funny you ran into "Big Fly". I actually spotted his truck but I was west bound on 80 and going home last friday. I will stop next time and say hi but it looked like you may have had a client so I didn't want to bother. It was a perfect day with little people out and the water was awesome. Had a couple skwala crawling on me. I've sort of come to the conclusion I either hike into some areas on Truckee few would venture or fish it weekday. Also crappy weather helps. Those conditions and you got that place largely to yourself. The technical dry stuff in the low run area is very hard. Jim is spot on. I'm not there yet. I need a lot more pratice and tips. I've been doing decent Czech nymphing. To the previous poster glad you hooked up on the LT. Not an easy place. I've been humbled many times.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-25-2015, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the excellent info on the Truckee area Jim......

bigfly
02-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Thanks Bill....

3-4-15
Air temps are nice, low of 14, high 50s, no wind....
Water is green/clear 43 deg. nice flows.
A few risers looking up for sz 20 Baetis.......few midges to be seen but are still on the menu......
Our Baetis are very dark compared to store bought, feel free to darken them...I do. Catch one and see....
Skwallas are back.......
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/Clients/BUGS/skwalla_1.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/Clients/BUGS/skwalla_1.jpg.html)
Some fish looking/gulping up...
If the sun comes out, mud your leader.......
Blue skies today, wind from the north/west.
Some angling pressure, fish know what we're up to......
Fish now.....
Please let this post scroll down the page....

Jim

kylgrn
03-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Fished down in the canyon Saturday, saw plenty of stone flies around, couldn't get any fish to rise, didn't see any, had a bad "catching" day.

bigfly
03-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Sorry to hear no fish...
Believe me when I say, they are in there.....
The stones have been going a while now.
The fish have been fished hard with those bugs...
They are starting to get hip.
It takes a quiet approach, and a good drift. Mud your leader....
Near town the flows are about what they were last summer.,
But this is March so it's bad..... looks like no melt-off without a snow pack.
Below Boca it's better.
May be a closure again this year.
FISH NOW.....
Please let this post scroll down.....

Jim

Morgan
03-10-2015, 07:59 AM
Sorry to hear no fish...
Believe me when I say, they are in there.....
The stones have been going a while now.
The fish have been fished hard with those bugs...
They are starting to get hip.
It takes a quiet approach, and a good drift. Mud your leader....
Near town the flows are about what they were last summer.,
But this is March so it's bad..... looks like no melt-off without a snow pack.
Below Boca it's better.
May be a closure again this year.
FISH NOW.....
Please let this post scroll down.....

Jim

I dont believe there ever was a closure last year Jim. Atleast not a mandatory one.
It would be really nice to see fish and game set up some regs to actually close our waters due to water level and temps.
Lets hope mother nature puts out late this year. Dont think its gonna happen but we can have wish full thinking....right?

bigfly
03-10-2015, 08:36 AM
There should have been a closure last year officially.
Many people volunteered not to fish....
But there were some fish hero's who needed to catch fish in puddles and post their pictures.
Talked to the warden the other day, he thought fish and game may make it official.
We'll see......I suspect drought's going longer than just four years.
What's strange....all that water in Tahoe, and none running out......I vote for a siphon.

Please let this post scroll down the page................

Jim

cdevine
03-10-2015, 12:30 PM
I think what was done last year was a "HOOT OWL" closure. No fishing from 12 noon on. Fish am until the water warmed up again. But it was all volunteer basis and nothing mandatory. Here is a question? Why wouldn't the state open the streams up ealier this year? Why wait? Need to rethink schedule and close it earlier. I'm talking about CA. But something needs to be done. You can't have people spearing fish in a puddle. I decided to stop fishing the truckee last year when I had a big day and I realized no way was I this good. I'm hoping I can fish until June and then hit the higher lakes. Wishful thinking?

Any march browns yet? I had a bunch of skwalla crawling on me last week.

There should have been a closure last year officially.
Many people volunteered not to fish....
But there were some fish hero's who needed to catch fish in puddles and post their pictures.
Talked to the warden the other day, he thought fish and game may make it official.
We'll see......I suspect drought's going longer than just four years.
What's strange....all that water in Tahoe, and none running out......I vote for a siphon.

Please let this post scroll down the page................

Jim

bigfly
03-10-2015, 01:01 PM
4-7-15
Weather is chilly-willy today and the lightest possible snow falling...unstable for a couple days..
Flows have come up below Boca and is green. Pushy is the word....
Above Boca temp is slowly creeping towards 50. It drops during the melt off, which seems to slow things a tad.
Slows a bit mid-day, starting to get fishy more early and later....
The menu available to fish, is expanding rapidly.
Baetis Nymphs still seem to be top seller......mid-day should be a hatch Some risers but subsurface is best.
Skwallas, are about done.....but a few fish still looking up..
Flying Carpenter Ants are the next big food form.
Speckled Caddis have made an appearance, caught a nice bow on Caddis emerger..
A larger Caddis has appeared as well. Tan sz14
March browns are beginning to show....here and there....caught a brown on a nymph.
Midges are still on the menu, even saw some risers eating them.
Seeing Crays for the first time this year.
Streamers are a good call...
All techniques are working....although you have to find the risers.
As spring arrives, the flows will drop, clear, and the sunny conditions and pressure will make it difficult to meet a fish.
Some of the nicest conditions we will see this year, enjoy!
I recommend fishing now....

Please let this post scroll down the page........no follow-up post needed....trying not to "park" at the top.
Thanks....

Jim