PDA

View Full Version : What Is a PRAM ?

Tony Buzolich
02-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Yes, I know what a pram IS. I even have one. But when is a pram no longer called a pram? A small square nosed boat, right? Well, does this term stop at 10' ? 12' ? 13'. I'd like to know.

I see an awful lot Lowes G4 "boats" around here. They're small square nosed boats of around 14', even 16'. Nobody seems to call them PRAMs though. Are they in fact a pram too?

No particular reason, I'd just like to know when to use the right term.
Tony

Dave E.
02-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Hi Tony,

I don’t think there is an absolute anymore…..
I’ve had a few and once we get out the west and PNW, we start seeing the narrow rectangular boats ( 1032, 1442, etc. ) often referred to as Jon’s instead of prams. To me, a pram should have some rocker to it, no keel and like a small, high sided drift boat with its seating balanced for rowing. A Jon, would usually have the option of rowing, but would have a transom bench for motoring. I’m pretty sure my old aluminum Western 8 footer was listed by Western as a Jac boat…yet another moniker, but it would have been recognized as a Jon just about everywhere. Then we have mini-drifters like the metalheads, that are often referred to as prams.
Whatever we call them, they’re great. As far as size goes, my latest has a 15’ 10” center line and while it might not be a pram, it gets used as one a lot.

Best, Dave