PDA

View Full Version : Winter fly fishing is a possibilities......?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-08-2015, 11:34 PM
Winter Steelhead on west coast.

Pyramid Lake in Nevada for big Cuts.

Tropical flats near the equator.

Down under - Chile, Argentina and New Zealand for trout.

Fly tying is always nice this time of year.

I have been watching lots of YouTube videos recovering from my shoulder surgery.

Get you honey dos out of the way?

johnsquires
02-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Tied some silver salmon patterns yesterday. I'm not a very talented tyer, but I can handle the big, easy patterns just fine. I like tying when it's storming. The only things missing were a log cabin and fireplace with a nice fire.

Also a good time of the year to organize fly boxes and clean fly lines.

garrynewman
03-16-2019, 05:47 AM
Sorry for bringing up an old topic but I just wanted to agree with the poster above who said all that matters for winter fishing is having a good fireplace and I agree. I had my own for more than five years now and it worked well for short to middle fishing sessions, I felt warm and toasty afterwards. Mine is made of bricks and I prefer them that way because it doesn't get as hot as metal. If you are old-timey enough you can also hang fish to dry over it: goldenhouses.net/review/weber-2726-wood-burning-fireplace-review/ (http://goldenhouses.net/review/weber-2726-wood-burning-fireplace-review/) Not sure if my wife would approve of that but if I had my own hut, then I'd definitely do it.