PDA

View Full Version : New Crop in Southern San Joaquin....???

Darian
02-03-2015, 11:34 PM
Not all news about big ag around Fresno is bad. If it works out, growing cactus in the westside of the San Joaquin may contribute to a new, drought tolerant food source. Found an article in the Fresno State News describing the development of a new crop in arid/salt challenged areas west of Fresno. Cactus Pears. Apparently, cactus grows where water is scarce and produces fruit that uptake moderate levels of selenium and other salts, then "volatizes" most of them. The result is a fruit that has tested to contain nutrients/minerals. Food products that are being tested for market are fresh Juices and powder drinks. Check out the link:

http://www.fresnostatenews.com/2013/09/fresno-state-receives-four-new-patents-for-drought-tolerant-plants/

This cactus looks like the same one used to make Nopales. If so, it looks like there'd be little waste involved. But I'm speculating about that.

SeanO
02-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Cool to see the Cal state Uni system is helping to find better use for the ag land down there!

"Red Rock Ranch intends to develop and market products derived from these new plants in the form of juice and powder blends."

Not sure what these products will be or taste like, but I know my in-laws are addicted to anything with almonds, so there could be a large potential market for the cactus product if marketed in a similar manner.

Also, very interesting that the crops can detoxify the soil of heavy metals! I haven't heard of that before, but sounds like a good idea as long as you don't live downwind of those fields. I'm all for reducing water exports out of basin and this seems like a good idea as long as the land wasn't idle before.

Thanks for the link!

Darian
02-04-2015, 11:03 PM
I've seen some cactus growing along fence lines heading south along I-5. No fields yet. I have no idea what the taste of the proposed products will be. Should be interesting, tho. :cool:

SeanO
02-05-2015, 12:38 AM
Well, anything different might be a good thing (as long as it's not worse than what we have)!

Perhaps related?: I know agave is a lucrative crop for the production of tequila in MX. I wonder if it would grow well in the South central valley or if it's too cool/wet/whatever there for it? Seems like some new crops that are more sustainable in the area would be welcomed!

Best,

Darian
02-08-2015, 11:19 PM
From what I've read, Agave is well suited for our climate/soils in general. However, apparently there're many varieties of agave and only one is used for production of Tequila; Blue Agave. Maybe not Blue Agave??? Also, not sure whether production of Tequila would be something of interest here....