PDA

View Full Version : Oregon must fish waters?

Scott V
02-02-2015, 01:55 PM
I'll be heading north this summer for a couple weeks and was wondering what waters should I make sure I fish. We will be going to Crater Lake for starters so I will be floating the Williamson. But what else should I consider? Would love to hook into a bull trout if there are any good waters for that.

I will have my kayak, float tube, and am more than willing to hike miles to secluded areas. So no type of water is off limits.

Thanks for any info.

Ned Morris
02-02-2015, 02:20 PM
What time in Summer and how far you willing to go? Late summer Deschutes is number one. For Trout McKenzie can be fantastic in upper stretches. Metolius and smallmouth on John Day can be absolutely unreal. Redbands in the desert and get your t-14 with clousers for some Bullies where you can find them. resident Coastal Cutts by the coast. Summer Steelhead abounds! You have many MANY options

FRSam
02-02-2015, 03:14 PM
You're going to need more than a couple of weeks Scott! I'd include Hosmer for some monster brookies and some beautiful atlantic salmon. East Lake and Crane Prairie would also be on my list. Just the very tip of the ice burg...there's so much great fishing water it's hard to leave once you get there!

Pete
Aka FeatherRiverSam

Spicytuna1
02-02-2015, 03:20 PM
After the Williamson hit the Wood. Had a killer day there on Hoppers many years ago, Really cool spring creek.

Scott V
02-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Plan to be there pretty much all of July and might even go up to Washington.

johnsquires
02-02-2015, 04:06 PM
My wife and I camped at Crater Lake a couple of years ago in late May. It was beautiful, nice campground, and, unlike most places in CA, not crowded.
As far as what you said about hiking miles to a secluded area, I hear the Eagle Cap Wilderness is really nice and has some good fishing. It's also not far from Washington.

SeanO
02-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Should be some summer steelhead on the N. Umpqua then and in the McKenzie! Rogue R. has steelhead all year long.

All three rivers are gorgeous.

Enjoy the trip,

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-02-2015, 07:56 PM
We fished Crane Prairie Res, Hosmer Lake, Davis Lake and Diamond Lake over the years.

Klamath and Agency Lake.......Williamson River are all in southern Oregon.

There are hundreds of lakes and tons of rivers in Oregon.

We want to RV the coast this summer. Some cool lakes right along Hwy 1 just off the ocean.

BillyB
02-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Sand Creek Ranch is an amazing place for brook trout. We've stayed the night in the cabin a few times and really has a blast. Try swinging a small matuka on a sink tip.
http://www.sandcreekdryfly.com

Scott V
02-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Thanks everyone, plenty of great places.

Can't wait!!

Charlie S
02-05-2015, 03:02 PM
Please check your messages Scott.

Larry S
02-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Scott,
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/RR/

A great resource. Have fun!
Larry S