PDA

View Full Version : What pram to get?

Bob Scheidt
01-31-2015, 07:15 PM
I'm looking to get a 9 or 10 foot pram, something I can load and unload by myself and transport it in the bed of my pickup. I have looked at Livingston and Spring Creeks on the internet. The ones from Bass Pro seem to narrow. I may want to put a 5 or 6 hp motor on it, but maybe an electric only. Fishing ponds and small lakes only, no rivers for this boat. Any suggestions on what to look at??

I know there are many of you out there who have this kind of small boat. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Darian
01-31-2015, 11:15 PM
If you get hold of a used Keaton Pram that would be your best bet (I don't think Keaton Boats makes a pram any longer).

My next choice would be an 8' Spring Creek Pram (they come in 8' and 10' lengths). Since you've already checked out those prams, I won't get into details. These prams are the closest thing in design to the TPL pram that was my favorite. If you don't have a full size pick-up truck, it may be a bit wide for the bed....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-01-2015, 09:06 AM
Keaton, Livingston, Columbia, Outback and TP&L are all nice wide fiberglass prams.

Valco or Western are the old aluminum standbys.

Most Spring Creeks are not to stable for casting while standing but high quality and currently made new.

Unless you are a very small person I would go 10 footer.

6hp on a 10 footer is good even if it is not rated for it. I like Yamaha and Honda 4 strokes.

Probably need a short shaft motor which is most comon in that horse power range.

An electric motor works well in small ponds.

Be sure to get 7-8 foot oars.

**Fly fishing from a small flat wide bottom boat is so cool.

Over my life time I have owned and/or fished out of lots of small boats from 8 feet to 16 feet.

If you can't get a small boat then get a float tube or pontoon boat for ponds and small lakes.

Bob Scheidt
02-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Thanks Darian and Bill. Bill--you know I'm not small :>). What is a TP&L? Is that the name of the boat? I have been looking on craigslist to find these boats, but I can buy new. I have a full size ford truck. Thanks for the info guys!

Darian
02-01-2015, 11:29 PM
The company that originally made TPL Dinghies has been long gone. The plans and molds were acquired by Keaton Boats, here in Sacramento. They were sold through Bill's shop until, for whatever reason, they were discontinued.

Keaton prams had a wide, tri-hull bottom design. The bottom design, combined with the width of the pram made it completely stable to stand in while casting in moving or still water. Keatons came in either 8' or 10' in length and the later models had a seat installed with battery cables. Clean floor design as well. The only drawback for me was that as I grew older, the weight of the glass hull (75 to 80 pounds unladen) become too much for me to load on top of my truck easily. Therefore, my old TPL sits unused and in need of some maintenance.

If I'm not mistaken a Keaton Pram was sold through the "Classified" Forum a few years ago and included some photos. Use the search function for Keaton Prams....

Baja Fly Fisher
02-02-2015, 07:22 AM
TP&L is the names of the guys who made the pram. I think the names were Tom, Pete and Larry. I'm sure Bill would know. I had 3 of those prams at one time along with a Columbia pram. Columbia had the same design. I have a Columbia sitting in my garage right now. My wife keeps getting on me to sell it. I had a metal head pram years ago but it was kinda unstable, especially if you walked to the front. If you didn't have enough weight in the rear of the pram, the nose would take a dive. I was fishing one time in the Forebay and watched a guy from the Santa Cruz club flip his over.

I hate to say this but my pram might be up for sale… not written in stone - yet. Keep watching the classifieds on this web site.

Jay

Randy B
02-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Bob,

If you're still in the market, I saw an 8' Outback pram on the Redding Craigslist this AM. It is up near the Fall River, but seems like a great deal on a Kevlar pram with oars included. I'd snatch it up, but I already have a 10' aluminum pram. http://redding.craigslist.org/boa/4849493849.html

Bob Scheidt
02-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Thanks Randy, I called Art about a 10 foot Outback he has for sale in El Dorado Hills. Would a big man be able to handle a 10 foot Outback in and out of a pick up bed? Any idea about what a 10 foot Outback would weigh??
Thanks,
Bob

Bob Scheidt
02-14-2015, 09:51 PM
I bought a 10 foot Outback pram today. Picked up a 55lb electric motor from Bass Pro on the way home. Very cool and thanks to all you good guys. I will need to leave it in the sun on the side of the house. I'll cover it and get it off the ground.
Thanks and patience pays!!
Bob

Mr F
02-20-2015, 06:07 PM
Hi Bob,

You want the 10' Olympian that's sitting in my backyard in Boulder, CO. It's free to any forum member who wants to haul it away. If you or anyone else is interested please PM me.

-MF