PDA

View Full Version : Alaskan Grizzlies Salmon Fishing

fishin4fun
01-30-2015, 05:24 PM
Stumbled across this video of Grizzlies fishing for some salmon. Makes me want to go back to Alaska. Anyone have some good Alaskan stories or resorts?

http://stories.madcards.com/2122/68313/EXCLUSIVEAnancreekbearsgofishingAlaskaEarthsFrozen KingdomEpisode1PreviewBBCTwo

STEELIES/26c3
01-30-2015, 08:49 PM
WOW!!

That had to be the best footage of bear and salmon I'd ever seen.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-30-2015, 09:48 PM
It is so exciting that some of our forefathers had the good sense to save some of our country from development.

PS: I think they are Black Bears?

daveiam
01-30-2015, 09:53 PM
I was there this last summer. It was just like the video you posted. According to the Rangers, there has never been a bear attack at the Annan site. However, the guides are all armed.

The brown bears had not been there for the last few weeks, but there were a number of black bears feeding. One bear in particular would only eat the eggs and the brain. We learned that the bear was picking the highest protein & fat portions of the salmon, discarding the rest.

You would almost walk across the river in some area, on the backs of the salmon.

johnsquires
02-05-2015, 10:46 AM
It's interesting, we just don't see many black bears on the rivers I float in the Bristol Bay drainages. You asked for a stories, so I'll tell one. Two years ago, floating the Koktuli River, we pulled in to camp for the night. It was pretty bad weather, so we set up camp back in the bushes a bit to get a windbreak. Of course the rafts were still out by the river. One client had to use the "bathroom," so he took off out of camp a bit. I was getting something out of a tent when I heard a commotion. A very large brown bear had run right into camp. Apparently he crossed the river, saw the rafts, knew that wasn't a good thing for him, and just randomly ran into camp. I had two clients sitting around the campfire - the bear saw them and took a left and ran right by me (the ground was shaking because he was so big). I didn't even have time to think, it happened so fast, but I could see he was really scared and just wanted to get away from us. So I started to laugh - but then I remembered the client using the "bathroom" - the bear was running right that way. So I ran after the bear while yelling "Mike, a bear." Of course by that time Mike and the bear had made their acquaintances, the bear took another left and was never seen by us again. But I will forever enjoy the image in my mind's eye of Mike running towards me with fear in his eyes and his waders around his ankle. Needless to say, it was then Cocktail Time.