PDA

View Full Version : Please retire as soon as you can.........seriously.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-30-2015, 11:40 AM
When I was only in my 30s I knew I wanted to be retired.

I was so blessed to have a dozen or so dear old fly fishing mentors who were part of the Greatest Generation.

Most of them fished a lot during their working lives and they all seem to retire at a fairly young age. Some of them had 20 to 30 years of good years in their retirement.

My number one fly fishing mentor and friend is Joe Shirshac, 92. He took me with him all over Nor Cal and Oregon. We even fished Christmas Island, British Columbia, Labrador, Nova Scotia and Alaska together.

My favorite fishing with Joe was on the middle Klamath River in the Fall for Steelhead back in the 1970s.

We fished had early and late in the day in the low light. In the day time we would visit some of Joe's old friends who were retired with their travel trailers in an RV Camp Ground on the banks of the river.

These people would come up to the Klamath ever fall for one, two or three months. That way they were there after the rains when the big schools of Steelhead came up the river to spawn.

After seeing that I always dreamed of spending a month on the Klamath River ever fall after I retired.

No matter what you are thinking about retirement, trust em, try to tretire as soon as you can.

This is one area that I think I am more knowledgeable than most here because I spent almost 50 years in the fishing tackle business talking with many as they went through all this. Almost no body I know said they wish they had not retired.

**If you really can't afford to, then that is one of the only good excuses.

Call me or email or PM me if you want to talk about this.

johnsquires
01-30-2015, 12:50 PM
Great advice and so true. When I'm not guiding in the summer, I have a "real" job - used to be one of the best jobs. But then, as in so many other professions, there came the "Wal-Marting" of my profession where a few big firms corner all the business with their lower-than-low rates, and they ruined the profession. So I don't work much these days at my "real" job because I'm really, really picky about who I will work with, but I wished I had planned better for this eventuality when I was younger. Fortunately, my wife is younger than I and she has a very good job, so I'm hoping to do more local fishing from now on. But for you young guys, take what Bill said to the bank (literally).

Scott V
01-30-2015, 02:24 PM
We have 10 years to go. I should be retired by the time I am 57 or 58 at the most!!!!

Lance Gray
01-30-2015, 02:54 PM
Bill,

I have 4.2 years (I will be 50 straight up) of my real job and I am done. My house is paid for and my travel trailer is paid for. Working on finishing college for the kids. Kirsten has 9 more years. We will be able to choose what we like to do. My biggest fear is one of us getting hurt in the line of duty.

I want to be like you - living the high life!!!

Baja Fly Fisher
01-30-2015, 03:20 PM
I retired 13 years ago and never looked back. Although some people keep telling me that I'm not retired since I'm hosting a bunch of baja trips, and doing trips to Belize and soon I'll be going to Christmas Island. While I was still employed, I was doing the Baja trips but not as many. On my first day of retirement, I woke up and was getting ready for work and my wife told me to go back to bed because "today is your first day of retirement" From that day forward, i spent 5 days a week fishing the beaches... M - F, I'd guess you'd say sort of like having a job except my office was Palm Beach and Sunset beach.
I had a good job for the first 5 years of employment but then when the company did their first reorganization, it went to hell in a hand basket and is still in the same spot. I spent 31 years at one job :-( Fortunately, I invested heavy into my 401k and started drawing on that without penalty when I was 55. For you young people, if you have ever thought about drawing the funds from your 401k early, you can. It's called a 72T. BUT the big thing is once you start drawing on your 401k you can't stop, change the amount you take until your 59 1/2 or you will get PENALIZED BIG TIME... Then when I turned 62, I started drawing my SS... You always here, "don't draw it until your 66.
But what if you die before that age..too late. Between the age of 62 and 66 they (social security people) figured it would take my 11 1/2 years to make up the difference. Now my wife turned 62 and has started drawing half of my SS. It's called spousal benefits.
Anyway, I totally agree with Bill. Retire as early as you can, you won't regret it. I have pretty much fished where i want, caught what i want and have made a lot of friends over the years. On my bucket list is a 100lb rooster fish. I've been close but close doesn't count. If that day ever comes (hopefully this season) I'm going into "full retirement" and selling all my fishing equipment.
Yeah, there are some days I get bored but I can sit in the back yard and watch the grass grow. Or play with the grand kids everyday. Or listen to my BOSS - The wife :-)

Jay

mems
01-30-2015, 03:23 PM
I can retire right now, I am 55 and have over 30years of teaching. But I love teaching get 18 sick days a year, get summers and winter and spring and fall break. I live in Hawaii and can fish for bonefish and trevally every day of the year. I guide and travel and get to go offshore all the time for free with friends. Like tomorrow we are going after some of the big 200+lb ahi around. Do I need to retire, no, but I am lucky where I live and what I do. Glad you are enjoying life Bill, I think that is the bottom line. Mems.

Mr T
01-30-2015, 04:42 PM
I turn 50 next week and have likely 15-20 years to go before I can think of retiring if I live that long.
Life has dealt some fun cards and the result of them has taken my retirement at a poor level. I've never spent tons of money on anything, always been frugal, but kids, the career choices that mandated, a failed marriage and restarting a career at 47 does not leave me well positioned. I'm not whining- I have a truly great career doing something that really helps people live longer lives, and I enjoy my life a great deal. Still it would be nice to be on downhill side of planning with real finish line in sight.

Bill is right, if you can, plan to retire early enough to enjoy life.

Larry S
01-30-2015, 05:33 PM
Agree with all that's said in this thread. However, the best time to go fishing is when you can. Not very original,
but practical. Life is a roll of the dice. Don't want to play the "angel of death," but look at all the surprises the grim reaper
can spring on us.
I'm in my late 70's and thank my lucky stars that I was able to get into some fabulous fishing on the Smith, Rogue, Chetco,
etc in the 60's and 70's as well as a few trips to Canada and Alaska. A number of them involved sleeping in the truck or on the ground.
Some may have spouses that want to "keep up with the jonses."
My ideal prototype couple would be the Kienes or David and Candida Lee. I hope that all of you have the opportunity
to live out those dreams.
I'm still going strong; surf fishing several times a week, planning a North Coast steelhead trip in mid. Feb, and a yearly
trout/smallmouth trek to Michigan.
Best to all Kiene members,
Larry S

johnsquires
01-30-2015, 05:51 PM
I agree with Mr T. It's a minefield out there, and the more mines you can avoid (failed marriage, kids needing to borrow money, medical issues for you and/or your spouse), the easier the path to retirement. Plus, my observations is that folks who are left money, property, houses by either or both sets of parents have a whole lot easier path than those who get no inheritance.
So you play the hand you're dealt and, as Larry said, take advantage of the opportunities you get.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-30-2015, 10:08 PM
Some better advice is just try to fish a little more as you go through life because it is more fun when your body works better.

Semi-retirement is good too.

SeanO
01-30-2015, 11:04 PM
Some better advice is just try to fish a little more as you go through life because it is more fun when your body works better.

Agree with you, Bill, but with the following..

The other side of the coin is to work on what you have a passion for, and try to make a difference when you can. I can't complain about working at UCD in fisheries genetics!

Best to all you retired guys (I am jealous!) and also to all of the guys who get out on the rivers day in and day out!

k9mark
02-02-2015, 12:20 AM
Retire? Unless of course you work for an employer who broke your contract, filed bankruptcy, and caused you to lose 30k of your salary, lose your home, lose your car, oh, and destroy your Healthcare plan....I figure I'll die working now.

Bob Scheidt
02-02-2015, 09:58 AM
I retired a month before I turned 58. My wife is 8 years older than me, and her Social Security pays the health insurance. That's a big $$ to figure in when you want to call it quits. I now ride my road bicycle with a friend 23 to 25 miles each morning, 3 times a week, hit the gym 5 times a week, still tying, do my own yardwork and do more fishing. Life is good. No kids, so we tried to save and invest while we were working.
Bill had talked to me about retiring many years ago, while I was tying flies at his store. He was very right about this one. I think the key is to stay busy and have things to do.

Bob Loblaw
02-02-2015, 10:37 AM
I have a good 20 years to go! but I don't plan on working a single day past the first day I'm eligible to retire. I've worked my whole career in the private sector so there's no safe pension to rely on and no retiring at 50 or 55. I max out my 401K every month and make sure my wife does the same....and every time she suggests that we dial back on our contributions or even borrow from our retirement savings, I tell her to stop buying shoes! every new pair is one week longer I gotta work!

The hardest part about retiring early for someone like me is paying for healthcare. Until medicare kicks in at 65, retirement looks like a very expensive proposition.

trouterfan1
02-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Have to agree with Mr. Kiene. I am grateful to have a job that will allow me to retire at a relatively young age of 50 with full medical for me and my wife. I have 10 years left for a 20 years of service pension but 13 years to reach retirement age of 50! dilemma...dilemma... at the tail end!

Bob Loblaw
02-02-2015, 11:22 AM
If I knew then what I know now I'd have become a cop! :-)

Scott V
02-02-2015, 12:32 PM

Or a State worker.

Bob Loblaw
02-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Or a State worker.

my sister in law was hired in December by the Department of Corrections and I told her to make sure she signed the contract and was on the payroll by December 31. She didn't think it was a big deal and said she had a month to get the paperwork in.

I explained to her about the pension reforms that passed the Legislature last year and which kin in January 1, and what that would mean for her retirement.....she would be grandfathered in under the old rules if she was a State employee before the end of the year.....I think I saved her about $100,000 if she is retired for 20 years.

That's got to be worth a new fishing rod?

k9mark
02-03-2015, 11:16 PM

Better read my post again.

midger
02-04-2015, 08:34 AM
I agree with Bill on retiring as soon as you can with the proviso that you have the bases covered financially so you have the ability to actually be able to afford to do whatever your passion happens to be. This is the sticky wicket in the "retire early" plan, as children needing help, failed marriages, failed businesses, etc can all throw a wrench into the best laid plans. I actually believe luck plays a large part, but planning effectively plays an even bigger part.

I first met Bill in his old store location in 1984 and used to shop frequently there. This was 10 years before my first retirement at age 44 from the military after 26 years. I then taught for enough time to become vested and snagged another retirement, then applied for SS as soon as I turned 62 (you can actually apply prior to your birthday so you don't lose any months of benefit). Like others have said, you can wait and draw more, but who knows what will happen while you wait.

Health also plays a large part, and sometimes we have little or no control over what genetics have dealt us. I've been fortunate to stay healthy and therefore very active. I jog daily, snow ski, hike, and fly fish often, do some pick up construction work when the mood strikes me, and wait for my wife to retire from her job, which hopefully will be soon but she's at the point where each year is really pushing her retirement up a lot, so she's been hanging in there for the last big boost and maximizing contributions to her 403b and our ROTH IRAs. We have health insurance through my retirement so that's covered. Health issues can devastate a retirement and ruin plans more quickly than any other factor so plan wisely.

Scott V
02-04-2015, 09:50 AM
That's got to be worth a new fishing rod?

And a reel!

johnsquires
02-04-2015, 10:39 AM
An added benefit of retiring early is you free up a job for someone else.

Obviously there is no one-size-fits-all approach to this issue. Who would ever guess your city (employer) would ever file for bankruptcy? Who would ever guess an "ex-relative" would conspire to change a will to which you were once a beneficiary? Yes, planning is extremely important, but sometimes life gets in the way of planning. Sometimes you don't have a highly-skilled or high-paying job and you aren't going to reap many rewards retirement-wise from it, but relatives die and leave you money and/or property that more than makes up for it. The "luck factor" can be huge, as any large lotto winner will attest. So we do our best and enjoy this eye-blink of a life we have. Personally, I'm a big believer in doing things that require a bit of physical ability before you become a looker rather than a doer. And we all know folks who, it seems, have given up, are even trying to act and be old. I spend a lot of time in the gym trying to put off the inevitable. I'd rather die by bear attack than by diabetes; makes for a better tombstone.

DAVID95670
02-04-2015, 05:08 PM
i first retired at 32 yrs but got married now i am working and broke

Baja Fly Fisher
02-04-2015, 05:58 PM
Hey bob

How about a short bike ride to Madera and back. I use to do this at least 3 times a month. Sometimes I pedal to Table Mountain have breakfast then ride home - the long way around. I'll talk to you more at the meeting this week

J

John H
02-04-2015, 08:23 PM
I retired at the end of the year at 51. I have some wind down to do but should be all out very soon. I have some uncertainty about how it will go but I get some confidence hearing from so many people who left early. I figure I need about five working fishing buddies or a couple of energetic retired guys to keep me occupied.

Gene S
02-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Bill's got it right....

Work hard and smart but smell the roses as soon as you can. My father was an engineer who meticulously planned his retirement future. But he didn't plan on being dead six months after retirement. I vowed never to repeat.

After returning home from the service at 20 and penniless I went to work for a construction company six days a week for ten years while supporting a family. At the same time I went to night school and bought, sold and renovated income properties in the evenings and on Sundays. Got my degree in business after 6 years. Formed my own construction company building multi-family and commercial projects on the Central Coast for the next ten years. Brought on a managing partner and pulled the active participation plug when I was 40. Moved to the mountains to hunt/fish and spent the winters on the North Coast rivers chasing steelhead. A failed marriage along the way took a couple years for financial recovery. I'm now in my later 60's, not filthy rich but have been able to live an independent lifestyle for many years. Don't waste time whining about the bad hand you've been dealt, many have been there and moved beyond. This country provides all kinds of opportunities. Grab em and run.....time is limited. Good luck to all.

FISHEYE
02-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Well you guys are making me think. I retired the first time at 45 and played for awhile but I knew I could not make it on my State retirement. So I did some consulting for a few years and then went to work for the feds. For the last 6 months I have been working for 20 hours per week. I was going to retire but they asked if I could work a little to help out. The 20 hours per week is paying for some pretty special trips (2 times to Bristol Bay last year, 2 weeks in Belize and 1 in LA for redfish; this year Argentina 2 weeks, Baja 2 weeks, Belize 2 weeks, LA 1 week, one or 2 trips to Bristol Bay and maybe the Bahamas). So now I am thinking of finally pulling the plug for good.Maybe March 1 or May 1 in time for Baja and then an Alaskan summer. I'll be 60 in 2 weeks.

JAM
02-07-2015, 11:08 AM
I appreciate this thread. I would like to hear more of supplemental medical insurances and
what peoples outlook on them. My father just recently passed and if not for his military supp
insurance it would have been frightening confronting these outrageous medical bills. Thanks!

Gregg
02-07-2015, 06:23 PM
as one of the sort of younger members here (lol, 34), the idea of retirement has taken on a pretty different meaning for me. I watched my parents work full time, not really take time for themselves, buy houses, cars, timeshares, etc...all within their means, but still get hit with tremendous setbacks (Dad got diagnosed with semantic dementia 5 years ago, lost most everything). All that planning went out the window. My generation doesn't have a "retirement" in the same sense as the older crowd, all our long term jobs have been shipped overseas, there is little loyalty between employer and employee, wages are so far behind expenses, leading the same kind of lifestyle my parents did just isn't a wise option. After chasing the same structure for a handful of years I've realized the best path is to keep things simple, not overextend myself, but to do what I can to enjoy the path instead of breaking myself for the next 30 years to relax later on. I know it's a risk, and a pretty big one, but the scariest thing I can think of is strapping myself to a job I hate to make enough money just to realize I don't have the health or interest in enjoying the last couple decades of life. I fished the Truckee last week, woke up in Dana Point yesterday morning, leave for Vegas next Monday, ate amazing ramen in Torrance yesterday, drove I5 through the rain listening to The Who till 3am last night...I have a car with 290,000 miles on it, I rent a house, I love my job, and I try to fill my free time seeing things and being active. To me, right now is retirement.

johnsquires
02-07-2015, 07:02 PM
Great post, Gregg. You are what they call wise beyond your years.

maebrown
02-08-2015, 04:25 PM
I'm sixty and my coworkers often ask when I plan on retiring. I tell them I retired from the time I was 17 until I was 40 which is kind of true because I spent my time surfing, fishing, and traveling. I worked and supported my family, but we goofed off as often as possible. In my late thirties I went back to college, graduated, and started teaching school at 43. It worked out well and I intend to work until I'm 63 and call it a career. I like the idea of a travel trailer and a few years on the road.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-08-2015, 05:30 PM
I can retire right now, I am 55 and have over 30years of teaching. But I love teaching get 18 sick days a year, get summers and winter and spring and fall break. I live in Hawaii and can fish for bonefish and trevally every day of the year. I guide and travel and get to go offshore all the time for free with friends. Like tomorrow we are going after some of the big 200+lb ahi around. Do I need to retire, no, but I am lucky where I live and what I do. Glad you are enjoying life Bill, I think that is the bottom line. Mems.

You don't need to retire.......you got it made.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-08-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm sixty and my coworkers often ask when I plan on retiring. I tell them I retired from the time I was 17 until I was 40 which is kind of true because I spent my time surfing, fishing, and traveling. I worked and supported my family, but we goofed off as often as possible. In my late thirties I went back to college, graduated, and started teaching school at 43. It worked out well and I intend to work until I'm 63 and call it a career. I like the idea of a travel trailer and a few years on the road.

You have already done it right.....I am trying to reach those who have just worked too much.

**School teachers and fire fighters are some of a fly shops best customers because they get blocks of time off.

lynnwhite44
02-09-2015, 01:17 PM
I concur with Bill, get out as soon as you can. I've worked for the State for 25 years, I'm 51 and I plan on retiring at 55. While working for the State my salary has taken a big hit. In my field, people who work in the private sector make at least 3 times as much as we do in State service. I decided job security, pension and a 9 to 5 job was more important than making the big bucks and a hectic work schedule in the private sector. With my State job I was able coach my girls in softball, soccer and basketball and I stayed home with them when they were sick. My pension is not a windfall, it will be less that $3000 a month. I could increase my pension by working more years but I have decided against that. If I die while still working my wife doesn't get any pension or health care.
My dad died at 54 running in the Bridge to Bridge run in 1996, 100 feet from the finish line, massive heart attack. His father died at 49, heart attack. My 2 older brothers have each had heart attacks, not fatal.
And on a final note, my good fishing buddy, high school classmate and head guide out of Ketchum/Sun Valley Dave, whom I've posted about on this site, started getting twitches in his hands and feeling general fatigue and muscle weakness a year ago. He was just diagnosed with ALS(Lou Gerhigs Disease). I fished with him and his wife on the Deschutes in the fall of 2013 and now Dave is in a wheel chair and dieing. Horrible disease.

Life is short. Fish when you can.

BillB
02-24-2015, 08:29 PM
I retired 6 years ago after 38 years instructing middle school math, coordinating math and training mathematics teachers. I have never looked back! My wife, who lived and breathed education and received many awards for her expertise, was hesitant to retire and kept one foot in the door consulting and substituting, hasn't stepped into a classroom is 3 years! We often hear "don't you miss it?" Unequivocally, no! My response is often, "We are like a couple of kids with a pay check!" Busy? Indeed! Lov'in it!

Rick J
02-28-2015, 09:19 AM
A few things changed in my life within the last 2 years that made me re-look at my life choices. I have been with the same company for 39 years and love my work but early on I negotiated extra vacation rather than a pay raise and I have always fished and done other things I love as much as I can. But I have decided to pull the plug at the end of this year.

I plan to sell everything, buy a truck and trailer(28-30 foot range) and follow the fish and live in trailer parks. I have spent quite a bit of time researching places and likely will head north to Oregon/Wash in the winter chasing steel. Likely out of the Olympic Peninsula much of the time.

I have been a dedicated Trout Unlimited member for many years and this year was appointed as CA representative for the recently launched TU Wild Steelhead Initiative. The main guy heading this up is John McMillan (Bill's son) who lives up in that area and I will have more time to really focus on how we can help the fish!!!

That being said - I get to fish full time and will head over to Idaho and Montana and wherever happens to draw me in the late spring and summer to chase my second passion - spring creek trout though any trout will do!

I am lucky at my age to pretty much have my health in tact (minus a bad back, aches and pains and miscellaneous ailments) but I am on no medications that slow me down. And I have a couple of very close friends also pretty much in retirement mode who can join me at least for short durations though they are still tied to a home

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-28-2015, 07:24 PM
Great Rick.....

You have fished a lot already but I think what you are planning is so cool.

You could let us know "roughly" where you are from time to time.

I hope you live to be 100.......

JAWallace
03-11-2015, 09:24 PM
Great thread, and something that's been troubling me for some time.

I'm in the commercial real estate business and have always build properties to hold with retirement in mind. Around 2009 I kind of stopped working because there was no point. We struggled through the tough times, came out fine, and last year I decided I would keep on just looking out for the properties and fishing more. And, I did. About one to two work days a week and I felt guilty every minute of it. Or, at least some of the minutes.

Late last year i was offered a nice consulting contract and took it, and it was a great decision. It's the first time I could really be objective about working because I don't need the money,but love what I do and I've come around to the conclusion I'll never quit. I certainly don't have to put in the 12-15 hour days like before, and I can travel as much as life allows as my wife is still working, but I think semi-retirement is the best I can do. I love creating incomes here and there and love making deals. It's addicting and I'm an addict. I love fishing and travel too but a balance is what is working for me.

esummers
03-15-2015, 09:29 AM
I've kind of had forced "retirement" put upon as me as I was laid off from my corporate job about a month ago. I'm 42. Luckily, I've lived WAY below my means during my 20 years in the corporate grind. Quite frankly, I hated the job and the politics associated with it. I'm single, no kids, so I have enough to cover my expenses for the foreseeable future. My loose plan is to travel to Michigan to fish in April/May and then Montana/Idaho for June/July/August, hike the John Muir Trail in September and return to Montana in for late September-October.

I'm struggling right now with the decision to buy a small van/rv and then getting rid of my place in Fair Oaks. I love this area, but it seems silly to keep it considering my travel plans. I plan to return to work in a year or two or three...depending on how things go. My goal will be to find work that I truly enjoy when the time comes. Maybe something will present itself on my travels...maybe not. Is having a huge gap in my resume a risk? Maybe...but the opportunity to do some ACTIVE things I love while I'm young and in good health is too appealing. I played by the rules for 20 years and got tossed out on my ass after 11 years without even a Thank You. I figure I've earned the right to do some long term traveling. I feel alive again....which has to be a good thing :) Kind of scary, kind of fun all at the same time

johnsquires
03-15-2015, 10:09 AM
Esummers, when you finish your extended vacation, maybe you could open a fly shop in the East Bay.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-16-2015, 07:59 AM
I've kind of had forced "retirement" put upon as me as I was laid off from my corporate job about a month ago. I'm 42. Luckily, I've lived WAY below my means during my 20 years in the corporate grind. Quite frankly, I hated the job and the politics associated with it. I'm single, no kids, so I have enough to cover my expenses for the foreseeable future. My loose plan is to travel to Michigan to fish in April/May and then Montana/Idaho for June/July/August, hike the John Muir Trail in September and return to Montana in for late September-October.

I'm struggling right now with the decision to buy a small van/rv and then getting rid of my place in Fair Oaks. I love this area, but it seems silly to keep it considering my travel plans. I plan to return to work in a year or two or three...depending on how things go. My goal will be to find work that I truly enjoy when the time comes. Maybe something will present itself on my travels...maybe not. Is having a huge gap in my resume a risk? Maybe...but the opportunity to do some ACTIVE things I love while I'm young and in good health is too appealing. I played by the rules for 20 years and got tossed out on my ass after 11 years without even a Thank You. I figure I've earned the right to do some long term traveling. I feel alive again....which has to be a good thing :) Kind of scary, kind of fun all at the same time

In the winter you can take your van down to the Texas coast to wade fish for many salt water species plus LMB.

Florida Gulf coast is another possibility.

Drive down the Baja in the winter too.

**That van idea is a good one.

***If you go back to work find something you like.....or marry a gal with big bucks?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-05-2015, 10:31 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18952037

Some info on retirement......

Ron Hall
04-05-2015, 01:47 PM
That way you'll have even more time to post more superfluous crap on this board.

Charlie S
04-05-2015, 02:13 PM
That was sure mean spirited Ron....but then again, it doesn't appear that you care about others. Dry up and blow away boy.

Larry S
04-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Ron Hall: another thread talks about how we're wired and how it affects our fishing. You need to
call a certified electrician; i.e. a psychiatrist! What a dumb first post! Have you been banned before?

steveg137
04-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Ron Hall, were you being sarcastic...? I would give u benefit of doubt but sounds so like you have history....I'd look forward to your interesting non superfluous posts but something tells me.....

gitt
04-06-2015, 05:29 AM
Here is a someone who figured it out- early retirement by controlling spending habits and paying the minimum in taxes by keeping a low taxable income level via qualified dividends and capital gains. Get your taxable income down low enough and the tax rate drops to zero on the qualified dividends and capital gains. It isn't a life style enjoyed by all, but hey, it works. Here is the link- http://www.gocurrycracker.com/how-to-retire-in-your-30s/

Wanderingblues
04-06-2015, 08:06 AM
My guiding principle for retirement is "You can always make more money, but you can't make more time..." I'm 8 mos, 18 days away to hanging it all up. We just paid off the home and, since my son just finished Army BCT, there won't be anymore college expenses.

After a lot of meaningful conversation, my wife & I are shopping for an Airstream to hit the road full time for a year or so with a goal of finding a place we'll want to settle down in. The Pacific Northwest is leading the poll right now, with Colorado right behind. Fortunately, I know many good folks in the fly fishing community and plan on scratching a lot of items on the bucket list as a result.

Who knows what will happen. All I know is my profession is no longer enjoyable, so I'll pull the plug as soon as I'm eligible.

Rockman
04-06-2015, 08:12 AM
I must say I am encouraged by the many members that believe in early retirement. I will be 58 in June, I have worked my butt off building a small business selling rock. A few of my customers are Kienes employees ( thank you guys). I have had two real vacations in the last 13 years. In the last few weeks I have had two different medical issues come up. One that my wife has been telling me I have had for a very long time which is sleep apnea, found out that mine is severe, but is cured with a Cpap machine which I just ordered. The second diagnosis was a bit of a surprise, a 99% clogged major arterie, that was fixed with a stint. I feel lucky like a cat,but how many lives do I have left is the question? My wife and I have had an exit strategie in mind, but is now time to excellerate the plan. We purchased a home in Dunsmuir 5 years ago for retirement and will be selling our home of 26 years in Antelope soon. I started planning for retirement late in life due a work hard/play hard lifestyle which consisted of fishing, surfing, dirt biking, and skiing. I plan on continuing to do them all God willing. I hope to get my guides lic. to fish the stillwaters of lake Siskiyou & McCloud since I have been fishing those waters since 1976 when I was attending Collage of the Siskiyous. I hope to spend more time traveling in my pop up camper to fish some new waters such as pyramid and Crowley along with some of those great Oregon lakes that Gordon L. fishes. Here is my problem, most of my fishing buddies are much younger then I and must admit I love the commraderie of fishing with friends. I would enjoy making some new friends my age that have paid their dues and are fishing more, and working less. I will be joining a ff club again now that i will have enough time to enjoy one. Thank you everyone for the encouragement to put the plan on the fast track.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Most people here would enjoy having some years to do more what they choose, but not everyone will have the economics to retire at an earlier age.

Another way to go is to semi-retire which will give you a little more time for your self.

Some can quite their main job and go back to work doing something more fun and maybe less stressful.

This retirement stuff is different for everyone but I am just trying to help those who have the economics to retire early that have not thought about it much or have felt like they would not have enough to keep them busy.

Gordon L up in Oregon is a good example of doing it right. He was a "big wheel" at McCellan AFB in Sacramento and like me, he watched the Greatest Generation of fly fishers in town like Joe Shirshac, Walt Bennett, Chuck Campana and Neil Hansen who all retired at a good time and have had lots of wonderful fishing because of it.

esummers
04-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Here is a someone who figured it out- early retirement by controlling spending habits and paying the minimum in taxes by keeping a low taxable income level via qualified dividends and capital gains. Get your taxable income down low enough and the tax rate drops to zero on the qualified dividends and capital gains. It isn't a life style enjoyed by all, but hey, it works. Here is the link- http://www.gocurrycracker.com/how-to-retire-in-your-30s/

Good stuff gitt. This guy has it nailed and it's how I tried to live my life so far. Living below your means is the key - not income. I had a six figure salary for 10+ years, yet I've lived in an in-laws quarters during that time for $600 a month including utilities and cooked most of my meals. It provides everything I need and kept me from filling up a MC-mansion with useless, expensive STUFF.

For me, the corporate grind would of felt like prison if I wouldn't of had the F@#$ You money. Some of the "leaders" running Corporate America these deals are simply bad people with little in the way of integrity or character. Again, some of them, not all or even most. If you find yourself under one of these slugs, and you're living paycheck to paycheck, it can become a hell for some. When they gave me my walking papers and severance I had a big smile on my face. The H.R. rep said "you are taking this much better anyone else." I just replied, "of course, I won"

To all the young folks out there, please do yourself a favor and live below your means and invest the remainder! It will buy your freedom and the gift of....Time.

atavuss
05-07-2015, 11:01 PM
Retire? Unless of course you work for an employer who broke your contract, filed bankruptcy, and caused you to lose 30k of your salary, lose your home, lose your car, oh, and destroy your Healthcare plan....I figure I'll die working now.

I retired at 55 because my employer (very likely the same employer you have) told us we would lose our lifetime heathcare if we did not retire by June 2012. Well, we lost our lifetime healthcare anyway when the employer filed for bankruptcy. They paid less than 1% of the lifetime healthcare's worth to all retirees. I do not miss working at all though.

jds108
05-08-2015, 05:01 PM
That way you'll have even more time to post more superfluous crap on this board.

Ron, when are you going to contribute something of use to the board? Will you wait until you retire?

Larry S
05-08-2015, 05:24 PM
jd,
After Ron Hall's big dump in his one and only post, we can't accuse him of posting more superfluous crap.
I suspect that he has been banned from this board under another ID.
Best,
Larry S

Bob G
05-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Larry -

Thank you very much for the insight!

Sincerely, Bob

Rick J
05-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Well - getting closer - Now have my soon to be full time home - 32' artic fox and the vehicle I will tow it with - 3/4 ton Chevy Diesel
(PS - Photobucket seems different - not popping up photo without clicking on the link?)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/RickJ/20150417_104907_resized_zpsotqnjsk1.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/RickJ/20150429_193414_resized%20-%20Copy_zpspmt0i3x9.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-11-2015, 07:27 AM
I hope you live forever Rick, you got some wonderful years ahead of you now.

Bob G
05-11-2015, 07:44 AM
Rick -

Spectacular...I had to look at, and thoroughly enjoy, each picture a few times. I can only imagine the great happiness and comfort that your new home will provide you, and I have a pretty good imagination.

Thank you for sharing.

Best of luck!

Bob

Larry S
05-11-2015, 08:13 AM
Rick,
Hope you have Internet connection with your home on wheels. Always look forward to your contributions here and
on speypages.
Best to ya,
Larry S

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-05-2016, 06:10 PM
I don't know much about lots of things but I watched and witnessed mostly men go through their lives working 50 years in the sporting goods business.

I am 71 and I just listened to a talk show last week where they were talking about two different surveys they took asking elderly folks what they regretted most in their lives.

Most regretted not traveling more or being able to travel more when they were younger.

My advise is to take some good trips while you are young if you can and try to retire or semi-retire as soon as you can.

Now at 71 years of age I feel I am pretty much and expert in this retirement stuff.

Every year you work is one less that you will have in your retirement life.

I love retirement but the only thing wrong is that I still don't have enough time to do everything I want to do.

PS: Be sure to take really good care of your body.

Get your eyes checked, keep you teeth in shape, have a physical every year.....

Money is not worth much if you are all screwed up when you are retired.

Idadon
06-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Retired at 41 from the US Navy and moved to Idaho to fish and ski. Lasted for 3 years before I went to work at the post office. STUPID MOVE!! I needed my summers off. Took up substitute teaching and driving a school bus for many years (no work in the summer). I really retired 5 years ago. Bought a nice RV, talked the wife into retiring and now we live in Idaho while the weather is good and leave when it's not. Life Is Good. Listen to Rick J. He's got the right idea, just take your home with you. I love it!

Bwag
06-05-2016, 06:56 PM
I don't know much about lots of things but I watched and witnessed mostly men go through their lives working 50 years in the sporting goods business.

I am 71 and I just listened to a talk show last week where they were talking about two different surveys they took asking elderly folks what they regretted most in their lives.

Most regretted not traveling more or being able to travel more when they were younger.

My advise is to take some good trips while you are young if you can and try to retire or semi-retire as soon as you can.

Now at 71 years of age I feel I am pretty much and expert in this retirement stuff.

Every year you work is one less that you will have in your retirement life.

I love retirement but the only thing wrong is that I still don't have enough time to do everything I want to do.

PS: Be sure to take really good care of your body.

Get your eyes checked, keep you teeth in shape, have a physical every year.....

Money is not worth much if you are all screwed up when you are retired.

I think the bold sentences above are very important. I feel extremely lucky that my wife has no issue with me taking one trip a month, doesn't matter how far just keep it at 3-4 days. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to retire but I'm not going to wait to start living until then. I'm also lucky that I will get to retire young, I've set my max age at 54-55. Having a wife that works in Finance who's a lot smarter than I with the $ helps too.

I watch some guys at my work make good money (often working 60-70 hours a week), never put any extra away because they take for granted we have a pension, never set up college funds for their kids then sit back and say they have to work some extra years to pay for college or a second mortgage. So they've spent their career working overtime and blowing the cash, not spending time with family, not spending time getting out doing what they like then have to stay a few extra years at the end of their career to make more "extra money" or even worse, retire then go right back to work, no thanks!

They way I see it, why work into your late 50's or early 60's if you can make reasonable sacrifices and retire in your early to mid 50's, not everybody can but those who can should. Retiring young gives you time to enjoy your retirement years rather than grind it out until your late 50's or early 60's then maybe have 10 healthy years to go play, I sure hope we all have longer but there's no guarantee.

Morgan
06-06-2016, 07:21 AM
When I was working in a busy rat race city working at a hospital I had some of the older folks tell me.
"Dont wait until your my age to enjoy yourself."
I took that and ran with it. Moved to the mountains to snowboard everyday.
Now I have pretty much retired the board and picked up the stick full time.
Living up here its not all about being wealthy dollar wise.
Its more about living rich in your quality of life.

wineslob
08-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Wish I could. Lost my job of nearly 30 years back in late 2014 and had to start all over again.........