PDA

View Full Version : Here is a video about one of our friends on the Truckee River.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-29-2015, 11:08 PM
http://vimeo.com/117879989

Bob G
01-30-2015, 09:22 AM
Hey Billy -

Thank you so much for sharing this great video clip!

Gilligan is absolutely the top dog and most respected guide on California's Truckee River. We take advantage of any opportunity to fish with Matt (Gilligan). His insights and expertise have proved invaluable over the years.

I hope that you and Marilyn have a great trip to Florida.

Thanks Again,

Bob

cdevine
01-30-2015, 07:48 PM
Hey Billy -

Thank you so much for sharing this great video clip!

Gilligan is absolutely the top dog and most respected guide on California's Truckee River. We take advantage of any opportunity to fish with Matt (Gilligan). His insights and expertise have proved invaluable over the years.

I hope that you and Marilyn have a great trip to Florida.

Thanks Again,

Bob

Gilligan is awesome. Just a real good guy who has all the priorities straight. He will put you onto fish. i see him all over the Truckee. Thanks for sharing.

cyama
01-30-2015, 09:44 PM
I have never met Gilligan, but his flies really work on the Truckee and other places!! The G caddis and the tuxedo are great flies. One thing I have been wondering about is all the no trespassing signs around some of the areas in the video… I realize Gilligan probably floats those areas, but what I am wondering is, Is that really private property or not… Specifically the shot from the cliff where people in rafts jump off the cliff...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-30-2015, 09:54 PM
20-30 years ago there were almost no fly fishing guides in the Truckee area.

Today there are some really good ones.......

cdevine
01-31-2015, 08:49 AM
20-30 years ago there were almost no fly fishing guides in the Truckee area.

Today there are some really good ones.......

Regarding the trespassing signs in that video. That is right about the bridge from Hirshdale and I've always stayed along the water line but lets not kid ourselves I've walked pass plenty of them with no issues. The only area that I know its strictly enforced is the SF Fly Casting property which is past Glenshire. The UP could be A-Holes if you are walking along the railroad but I've always waived to the guys and had no issues. One of the great things about the Truckee is the access and the success rate from walking/wading is good.

Bill, there are great guide and people. The Matt Heron's, Stephan Macleods, Dan Lecounts, Arlo Townsends, Gill, etc, etc… I'm sure I missed a bunch. If you want to learn the Truckee fish with a guide a couple times because it can be a frustrating river. (it is a frustrating river) Then go out and apply what you learned.

Bryan Morgan
01-31-2015, 06:40 PM
So are you saying that the high water mark does not apply to this section of the river? I know other states of the union respect this privilege. Not trying to start a campaign, but can anyone answer this question?

Rossflyguy
02-01-2015, 01:32 PM
So are you saying that the high water mark does not apply to this section of the river? I know other states of the union respect this privilege. Not trying to start a campaign, but can anyone answer this question?

I think the high water mark is accessible everywhere in the state. You just can't walk there through their property. Plus in that section they stock fish. I avoid it either way. There's bigger and better fish through out the river. I don't drive 2-3 hrs to catch stockers.

cdevine
02-01-2015, 03:24 PM
I think the high water mark is accessible everywhere in the state. You just can't walk there through their property. Plus in that section they stock fish. I avoid it either way. There's bigger and better fish through out the river. I don't drive 2-3 hrs to catch stockers.

I totally agree . I've actually spent very little time in the glens hire area. Too much pressure. Walk a little in the canyon and the entire river is yours. But I still can't figure out how they can stock fish in a wild stream? Political power? Must be sterile fish though. Those fish make a meal for a brown anyway.

BumpBailey
02-02-2015, 09:43 AM
I fished a half day with Matt a couple of Saturday's ago. One of the best guides I've fished with to date. He got me into fish, were I a better fisherman I would have landed a couple of more. But all said I go three fish to the net that day and learned how to tight line nymph. It was very effective. I learned, I caught, I enjoyed! What more could you ask for????

NVTrout
02-15-2015, 09:14 AM
I have not fished with Gill. I've run into him on the river. I follow his blog. Seems like a real solid dude.