PDA

View Full Version : I'm Pretty Excited About A Woman

johnsquires
01-27-2015, 11:23 AM
I thought the title of this thread might get your attention.

I take clients on float trips on wilderness rivers in Alaska. As you can imagine, it can be a challenge to find clients. A lot of people have reservations about sleeping on the ground (even though the gear these days is amazing and very comfortable) or being right out there with the "full-time residents."

Yesterday I picked up a husband and wife as clients for our trip down the Koktuli River in last August. I'm excited because the wife will be our first woman to come along. It will be interesting to see how she does. Based on prior experience with women fly fishers and hikers and campers, I'm going to guess she will do better than many men clients I have had. And she will probably be thankful to be waited on by men for a change.

Larry S
01-27-2015, 06:33 PM
john,
I'm a bit confused by your "Yesterday I picked up a husband and wife as clients for our trip down the Koktuli River in last August."
Did this already happen? How did she do?
No criticism here. I'm in my late 70's and would like to know more about the trip.
Best,
Larry S

johnsquires
01-27-2015, 06:52 PM
Sorry, Larry, for the confusion.
She and her husband will be going with us this coming August.
Wilderness float trip with the emphasis on fly fishing for grayling, dolly varden, rainbows, and whatever species of salmon is running at the time (silvers in mid-August to mid-September). We spend a night or two in Anchorage before flying over to Iliamna. Then we take a float plane out to a tundra pond near the river, portage the gear two-thirds of a mile to the river, assemble the rafts and start the float. Because of the location, you can fish from early morning until 11:00 at night. No one has ever lost weight on the trip - we eat very well. But this is sleeping in a tent, there is no shower or "real" restroom, of course. Great trip for those who love the wilderness, for those who don't like to be fishing right next to others (we didn't see one other person on our last trip), great trip for photographers. I have had a couple of clients in their early 70s (one has gone twice), and I'm 68 myself, so it's not out of the question for you if you are in good health. The main thing (at least for us) is having a good attitude, which is easy for most folks to have in a beautiful setting with great fishing, no newspapers, no TV, no internet -- I better stop. Wilderness fly fishing is my passion, so I tend to ramble on when I get the chance.

SeanO
01-27-2015, 07:41 PM
Sounds like a great trip, John!

Lots of younger women these days are just as adventurous as men. I suspect your sex ratio will continue to 'normalize' in coming years.

Best,

johnsquires
01-27-2015, 08:10 PM
Salmonid, I went to an Oregon football game a while back. I'm thinking if I can get the Ducks cheerleaders to come on a trip it will be easy to recruit male clients. Good plan?

SeanO
01-27-2015, 08:41 PM
Salmonid, I went to an Oregon football game a while back. I'm thinking if I can get the Ducks cheerleaders to come on a trip it will be easy to recruit male clients. Good plan?

They are some talented young women. I've been to several UO games myself. Too bad about their last football game, but there is always next year... Go ducks!

http://itsalwayssunnyindetroit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/oregon-cheerleaders-7.jpg

johnsquires
01-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Oh, the cover for my next brochure. Thank you. But I think I'd have to have them move their hands apart as if showing the length of the fish.

johnsquires
01-29-2015, 09:19 AM
Larry S, if you would like to learn more about this trip, talk to your fly club and have them contact me. I could come down and do a presentation. I did a presentation for the Long Beach club a few months ago and, from the comments afterwards, they really enjoyed it.

TaylerW
02-07-2015, 02:00 PM
I think you could find a better crop from Alabama or ole miss

johnsquires
02-07-2015, 06:32 PM
I think you could find a better crop from Alabama or ole miss
I asked them first. For some inexplicable reason, they declined.

lee s.
02-15-2015, 10:30 AM
I might be that adventurous 70 year old and you bet, I'd LOVE to be waited on by men for a change. oh, yeah, and the Fly Fishing.....that's the second best part!!!!
in amusement......Susan

johnsquires
02-15-2015, 03:42 PM
I might be that adventurous 70 year old and you bet, I'd LOVE to be waited on by men for a change. oh, yeah, and the Fly Fishing.....that's the second best part!!!!
in amusement......Susan

Hi, Susan. Yes, I'll bet you are the adventurous one. I'm looking forward to meeting you and Lee at the show. I have two other clients signed up, and they will be at the show, also. They're not very experienced as far as the fly fishing goes, but I told them there is no better place to learn, especially since you can fish from early morning until about 11:00 at night. Oh, and they're big guys, so we've got all the heavy-duty carrying covered. You can do the supervising.

johnsquires
02-22-2015, 05:31 PM
And now my wife is going. So two women and five men. I'm betting the two women will outfish the five men.

lee s.
02-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Yeah Vicky!!--Lee says he is cancelling the eight cheerleaders ---Vicky, you and I have it covered.
Susan