PDA

View Full Version : Perch Ice Fishing Record

Darian
01-20-2015, 09:48 PM
Check out the link to an article about catching a world record Yellow Perch while fishing through the ice:

http://www.kval.com/outdoors/Idaho-girl-12-sets-new-yellow-perch-world-record-289199121.html

That's a whopper perch!!!

Scott V
01-21-2015, 09:18 AM
I caught one of those on the fly in Montana, but it only weighed a couple of ounces. That one is a monster!

John Sv
01-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Is there a good spot in Nor Cal to fish yellows and/or crappies for food? They taste really good! (guess my east coast roots are coming out here) I know some ponds and reservoirs in the foothills but I don't know if I'd eat fish out of them due to 1800s mining poisons. Whatcha know?
thanks
John

Darian
01-29-2015, 10:10 AM
John,.... The only water I'm familiar with that has Yellow Perch in it are the lakes formed by the dams on the Klamath River. Altho, I'll bet they occupy other CA waters, as well. Maybe someone who knows about it will give out that info.

Almost all of the east side (coast range) and west side of the Sierra foothill reservoirs have Crappie in them. Plus, a lot of ponds around and in between them. Some are better than others. If you're planning on eating your catch and concerned about mercury pollution, you could check out the health warnings from eating specific fish (by name in the CA DFW regs), either on-line or in the booklets.

Aside from Delta backwaters (which are loaded with sunnies of all types), one very well known water is Rancho Seco Lake/park (east of Galt, south Sacto County). Run by SMUD, it's a pay for access place that has some big Bass and Crappie in it. Sometimes a lot of pressure but the facilities are clean and there's plenty of parking available. Others would include Camp Far West, Berryesa, Black Butte lakes. Lots o lakes/rsvrs to the south of Sacramento, as well. There must be a place out in Nevada closer to you, also. Maybe pick up a map and check out the lakes/ponds. You could eliminate any that're fed by a river that were placer mined, as well.

I'm sure others have their own places to hit for Crappie and may chime in. Good luck and have fun.... :cool:

Kneedeep
01-29-2015, 10:45 AM
Sacramento Perch are abundant in Lake Crowley. Tons of fun to catch. Terrific fried.
Pain in the butt to clean but worth it.

SeanO
01-29-2015, 11:44 AM
According to the Moyle book, Yellow perch are common in Copco and Iron Gate Reservoirs on the Klamath, as Darian mentioned.

Also, they are in Laffayette Res. in Contra Costa county, and in Van Norden Res. (headwaters of the S. Fork Yuba).

Ned Morris
01-29-2015, 12:23 PM
I used to catch dozens of YP as a kid in Lafayette Res. Along with Bluegills it was the ticket in the summer riding the Mongoose BMX back home stopping to get a Slurpee at Kwik Stop along the way. Not sure if they are still in there. This was back in the 80's

njbeast
01-29-2015, 06:59 PM
I'll confirm the Yellow Perch in Copco Lake...lots of them by the bridge....lots!!!! Last few years they have been making their way up river. The two best crappie lakes I know of in Northern California are Black Butte and East Park Reservoir. East Park has lots of small coves with shallow water. A crappie jig and an ultralight spinning rod work great.

John Sv
01-29-2015, 08:40 PM
According to the Moyle book, Yellow perch are common in Copco and Iron Gate Reservoirs on the Klamath, as Darian mentioned.

Also, they are in Laffayette Res. in Contra Costa county, and in Van Norden Res. (headwaters of the S. Fork Yuba).
I am the land manager for the trust that owns van norden res. I wish things were different but the perch are all stunted and you'd need 4 per sammy...

SeanO
01-29-2015, 10:13 PM
I am the land manager for the trust that owns van norden res. I wish things were different but the perch are all stunted and you'd need 4 per sammy...

I didn't mean any disrespect, John, and I didn't mean to suggest the Yellow perch were of any decent size there.

In fact, I've never been there just going off the CA fish guy Peter Moyle's book (2002 edition) note- size of fish was not indicated.

Best,

Darian
01-29-2015, 11:42 PM
How about checking out Rye Patch Reservoir in Nevada for the same type fish you're looking for:

http://parks.nv.gov/parks/rye-patch-state-recreation-area/

Open all year and looks like it might be a bit closer than than some of the places we've suggested already. Maybe a lot colder right now, tho....

John Sv
01-30-2015, 11:43 AM
I didn't mean any disrespect, John, and I didn't mean to suggest the Yellow perch were of any decent size there.

In fact, I've never been there just going off the CA fish guy Peter Moyle's book (2002 edition) note- size of fish was not indicated.

Best,
Oh no none taken! I read that too- have Moyle's book and targeted them hoping for a sandwich. Alas a no go... It is actually that process that got me fired up on perch again. When I was a kid my Dad and I would fly fish the perch run on the eastern shore of Maryland. Good times and classic wet flies. They fight ok and really are yummy. But then again I think catfish are yummy! If I could find a farm pond within an hour of Truckee that isn't built to hold back mercury laden sediment and has perch or crappie, and has sunfish and bass (where I grew up those were all lumped into the same term-bream)...oh man that would be great!
Rye Patch...there are big fish in there but you have to walk past a bunch of consumption warning signs. Went out to Yerington ponds last week. There is a sign up that says "avoid touching the water". yikes! Oh well, been out here 20 years now; maybe I'll find that pond some day. My Dad used to fish Ranch Seco in the 60s-70s and said it was pretty fun.

SeanO
01-30-2015, 08:21 PM
Gotcha John!