PDA

View Full Version : Clean up the lower Eel River?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-19-2015, 05:16 PM
http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2015/jan/17/graphic-video-filth-along-banks-eel/

Charlie S
01-19-2015, 05:44 PM
I didn't watch the video because I've seen it in person. But, the comments were disgusting.

Darian
01-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Agreed,.... It is disgusting and disturbing. Also, happening right here along the American in Sacramento.

Steelin' Time
01-31-2015, 10:24 AM
I was fishing in Humboldt County this week. Piles of trash dumped long the side of the road and at river access points is common. I snapped the attached photo as a fished past this particular spot in my DB. Cal Trans was just arriving at the scene and workers were peering over the edge of the embankment at the debris, which included a refrigerator. The photo doesn't show much, as a clear view of the debris from the river is blocked by the willows. I do not know if Cal Trans was there to clean up the trash or if they were working on the roadway above the river.

The second photo is of a beat-up runback buck I managed to land. You can see my fly of choice on the hook keeper above the cork.

STEELIES/26c3
01-31-2015, 08:44 PM
damn what a downer...

Literally, the trash

and sarcastically, the buck.

Nice fish~;)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-01-2015, 09:14 AM
When I was very young (1950s) we had hobo camps along the Sacramento and American Rivers right in Sacramento.

Then with the wonderful economy we had after WWII they seemed they faded away. Maybe they got jobs?

Now in the last 10 years with the down turn again in our economy we see more homeless people camping out in the bushes everywhere.

cornomike
02-01-2015, 10:07 AM
The Eel is a catch and release river.
It is suggested that steelhead not be landed in shallow water or on the shore. The can do brain damage by hitting their heads on the rocks and causing death in a few hours.
It is a good idea to handle and release steelhead in deeper water so they don't hit their heads. This really increases the ability of the released fish to survive and it is much less shock to an already spent fish.
Be kind to these wonderful fish. I would also like a chance to catch him.

Ed Wahl
02-01-2015, 10:24 PM
This cycle of dumping can be stopped. It's not easy or glamorous but it can be done. My friend and board member Bill Templin showed me that a few years ago. After I was bitching about dumping in the American River canyons a few years back he asked me a pretty weighty question, " why don't we clean it up?" And we did that.
For several years.
And it stuck.
Trash attracts trash, stop the flow and the rest follows suit.
So, if you Eel River regulars want it to stop you have to step up and stop it. It can be done.
But not until one of you hits the wall and can't take it anymore.