PDA

View Full Version : Closest Wade Fly Fishing In Sacramento, CA

ccorrin
01-18-2015, 10:31 PM
Hi Guys,
I recently moved up to Sacramento, CA. I live in the city in the natomas area and was hoping to get some help on the closest wade fishing available, perhaps within distance for some fishing after work.

What are the closest stream/rivers or areas that has good wade fishing? Rainbow trout are always fun, but im not too picky on my species. Prefer coldwater for the flyrod though. Any tips on spots or smaller streams that have trout in the area would be greatly appreciated, im looking for a place that I can access quickly without having to take the boat out to practice my nyph fishing.

Another question, Are their rainbow trout in the american river year round? if so, are they worth targeting, Or should I just be fishing for stripers or steelies? Not sure how long they are in the river or what times they are there? Most parts of the american seem pretty wide so I was wondering if there are some smaller arms that I can wade?

Thanks!!

cmcdhuibh
01-18-2015, 10:46 PM
American river, upper east side of folsom lake and lower AR out of Natoma At hazel to downtown Sac.
Yuba river Hwy 20 out of Marysville
Putah creek runs out of Lake Berryessa out side Davis

Check regulations for this time of year!

There are trout in the lower AR year around, now is as good as anytime. The water is cold 50deg. you will need waders and it has a strong current. You will need a steelie card. Above ancel hoffman to Hazel it's barbless As is the upper AR this time of year.

ccorrin
01-19-2015, 12:45 AM
American river, upper east side of folsom lake and lower AR out of Natoma At hazel to downtown Sac.
Yuba river Hwy 20 out of Marysville
Putah creek runs out of Lake Berryessa out side Davis

Check regulations for this time of year!

There are trout in the lower AR year around, now is as good as anytime. The water is cold 50deg. you will need waders and it has a strong current. You will need a steelie card. Above ancel hoffman to Hazel it's barbless As is the upper AR this time of year.

Excellent, checking these spots out on the map. Any recommended fly patterns and strategies for the Yuba & AR?

Tony Buzolich
01-19-2015, 10:10 AM
Skwalla's on the Yuba are happening now. Tony

Larry S
01-19-2015, 11:01 AM
ccorrin,
At the top of the Kiene page, "click" on "Online shop." You'll find a list of StreamTime maps; best bang for your
bucks. Some of the map info is outdated; still these are great tools. You should also be aware of the possibility
of vandalism and break-ins. Kiene posters do a great job of keeping us informed of these.
Best,
Larry S

ccorrin
01-19-2015, 11:56 PM
Awesome. Thanks Larry!!

ccorrin
01-19-2015, 11:59 PM
Tony, Is that section of the yuba wadeable? Never been before. I was looking on the map, should I start from Parks Bar Quarry / Hyw 20 bridge and work my way down? or is there a good area i can park and work a section of the river?

Sorry for all the questions, im completely new to this area moved up from central CA.

Thanks!

Tony Buzolich
01-20-2015, 09:27 AM
Parks Bar and Hammond Grove both have easy public access. If you cross the bridge there is a gate on your right that will allow you to access the entire south side of the river all the way back to DeGuarre Dam. Not easy walking across all the dredger tailings though and be careful trying to drive on all that loose gravel. It's easy to get struck even in a 4WD.

Good luck exploring, Tony

ccorrin
01-21-2015, 02:18 PM
Parks Bar and Hammond Grove both have easy public access. If you cross the bridge there is a gate on your right that will allow you to access the entire south side of the river all the way back to DeGuarre Dam. Not easy walking across all the dredger tailings though and be careful trying to drive on all that loose gravel. It's easy to get struck even in a 4WD.

Good luck exploring, Tony

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your knowledge