PDA

View Full Version : Westlands Settlement....

Darian
01-16-2015, 10:23 PM
While travelling to L.A. for visits, I always pick up copies of local newspapers. On my latest trip, I found an article in the Fresno Bee that provides a different perspective on the "secret settlement" mentioned in the prior thread. According to the article, the secret negotiations were private, legal negotiations to settle several long running law suits resulting from actions that took place decades ago by both Westlands and the feds (think Kesterson). Also, note that the agreement will become public after it is finished and then reviewed/approved(?) by Congress. Still time for public comment.

If the article is correct, there're some disturbing points in this settlement. The most disturbing is the potential for granting "....a permanent water contract...." This would seem to be completely imprudent as the contract would never again be up for renewal or negotiation of cost for water during the lifetime of Westlands existence. At the same time, the districts allocation would be adjusted to 75% of it's current allotment.

A potential positive side for taxpayers, who were going to have to pay for clean up of drainage water, is that they will be relieved of that cost and Westlands would become responsible for that clean up. The value of the taxpayer relief is stated as $2.7 Billion. The value of relief for money owed to the Feds by Westlands is "....hundreds of millions...." Another potential benefit is the permanent retirement of some ag land from production.

Check it out at:

http://www.fresnobee.com/earth-log/

The author of this article, Marc Grossi, is a regular contributor to the paper

SeanO
01-24-2015, 10:16 PM
Is there no limit to the demand for increased nut crop production?

I hope we are approaching "peak nut" in CA!