PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions

tcorfey
01-15-2015, 12:15 AM
I am trying to decide what to do about my boat situation. I know it's not a tough problem to have.
But still I would like some opinions as I have been debating it all year.

I currently have:
Two 9' pontoon boats
One 10' Olympic pram
One 15' square-stern canoe
One 17' Boston Whaler with a 75 HP 2-stroke motor
I have a 55 lb thrust electric motor and a 30 lb thrust electric motor.

I used them all over the last couple of years for different reasons and each is a compromise.

Where I have been fishing lately is Lower Sac, Trinity/Lewiston, Lower Stanislaus, Lake Davis, Snag Lake, Pyramid lake, Lake Delvalle, San Luis Reservoir, Fall River, Baum Lake.

This year I want to add McCloud Reservoir, Utica and Union Reservoir and a few more in the sierras. I also might give the Klamath river a go.

I used to fish a lot in the ocean, Morro Bay, San Francisco Bay and occasionally the Delta. But not so much anymore as I have changed my focus to trout for 90% of my outings. Including the fact that my wife is not comfortable with having my son in the ocean in a 17' boat and she will not go out there with me either.

I fish with my 11 year old son, my wife (occasionally) and a buddy who has a pontoon boat.

About half of my outings I don't even take a boat and wade small streams/rivers like the Upper Yuba, Upper Toulumne, Upper American, Upper Stanislaus forks, Hat Creek, Pit river, Upper Sac, Deer Creek, Carson forks, Truckee, Kings Canyon, etc…

Yeah I get around and that is why I need a versatile boat as sometimes I fish by myself and on the same trip my wife and kid may come up for a couple of days. It is tough to have the wrong boat with you when you are hitting lots of areas. I have even had to have my wife bring a second boat to swap in when she came up for with my son.

The boat I am thinking about getting is the Koffler Rocky Mountain Skiff. It seems that it would be quite versatile not perfect but good enough for a lot of situations.

If I buy that boat I could probably get rid of the pram, the canoe and the Whaler.
I would probably keep the pontoons for quick trips or places where I need to carry in a boat to launch it.

What I gain is a lighter boat to trailer with either an electric or a 9.9 hp 4-stroke motor, better stability than the canoe, more capacity than the pram, yet still easy enough to manage myself and use efficiently with my electric motor, better handling for rivers/tailwaters. Although the pontoons work pretty darn good and they are easy to stop and fish from.

I think the Koffler would even work okay to fish for Sharks, Halibut, Stripers and rays off Alameda rock wall in the SF Bay or in the Delta as long as I stayed within a couple of miles of the launch ramp. Same idea with Pyramid staying close to the ramp.

What I lose is the ability to go for Salmon in the Ocean (obviously) or Pyramid to the far side of the lake as it would be quite a run at an estimated 10 mph.

Issues with the existing boats are:
- Pram is great for one person stand-up fly casting but two can be challenging and it only fits two people max so with the wife and kid they take the pram and I take the pontoon.
- Canoe I can take three people but you need to stay seated so fly fishing is more difficult.
- Pontoon I only have two and it takes time and energy to pump up tubes and when traveling I have to deflate to fit in car because of expansion when going up and down in elevation.
- Maintenance and storage of three boats versus one.
- Whaler is great for many things but it is more maintenance than an aluminum boat. Also the two stroke is not allowed in some waters and it is not a good boat for skinny water like the lower Sac or in the Fall river.

I thought of getting a 14' Maralon Jon boat due to the width and capacity but, it would not be good for stand up fly fishing in the lower sac or Trinity either. So I would have to use the pontoons there. It could run a 20hp motor though so it would work well in most lakes and the Delta. Due to space considerations I may still have to get rid of the Whaler if I get the Jon boat.

If I get rid of the Whaler than I would probably hook up with some friends who also have Whalers or jump on a party boat for Salmon/Halibut with my son. With the Whaler gone I would not be able to take my son tubing or wake boarding which we do once per year but river running adventures might be a good substitute.

If any body has some helpful advice I look forward to it. Maybe you have used a Koffler Rocky Mountain Trout or a Jon boat in the past or made the transition from power boat to drift boat and have some experience to share. I would really appreciate it.

Regards, T Corfey

SeanO
01-15-2015, 09:46 PM
Hi, T,

Yes you have good problems to have!

Having that many boats at your disposal is pretty nice, not sure why you would want to give them up as no boat will accommodate your family for each purpose they now serve.

I haven't been in a RMT, but I've been in Koffler Prams and db's. They are nice boats and row well. The owner of Koffler boats rows a RMT boat pretty regularly down some fairly robust rivers in Oregon, so it's a decent whitewater boat.

I do think getting to 10 mph in one with an outboard may be fairly optimistic though? maybe 5 mph? Not sure though.

I have a jet sled, buddies have dbs, prams, and offshores. I wish I had a raft or pontoon to navigate some of the skinny rivers up north more easily!

Maybe you just need a friend or two with other kinds of boats?!

Take care,

Rockman
01-15-2015, 09:58 PM
I would keep all the boats and buy the Koffler��

Outback
01-16-2015, 03:37 AM
After owning many boats in my over 50-years of fishing.... I can say, there's no perfect boat for all occasions.

The boat I really like now is the Hyde Rocky Mountain Skiff. The skiff will allow me to carry up to three guys with plently of room to wiggle around, plus stability in class-II water.

Another fine skiff is the RO SKIFF, you can google it and check it out.

johnsquires
01-16-2015, 04:47 PM
You currently have:

Two 9' pontoon boats
One 10' Olympic pram
One 15' square-stern canoe
One 17' Boston Whaler with a 75 HP 2-stroke motor
I have a 55 lb thrust electric motor and a 30 lb thrust electric motor.
And a great wife.

tcorfey
01-18-2015, 12:13 AM
Good call johnsquires. She is pretty great. But she has her hobbies too and I do not interfere. So we get along pretty well.

Outback, Yea I like the Hyde RMS also, and the Clackacraft Head Hunter II.
The RO and Adipose skiffs while they both seem great have not been on my radar because of their location in Montana.

I am still debating. Hard to let go of the Whaler, and the canoe is nice for certain uses (I have it fitted with oars). If I could stand up 2 in the canoe comfortably while drifting a river and had a four stroke on the Whaler I would not be thinking this way. I am trying to get a boat that combines the stability of the Whaler with the capability to go down a river in skinny water like the canoe.

Dave E.
01-18-2015, 10:00 AM
The RO and Adipose skiffs while they both seem great have not been on my radar because of their location in Montana.

Adipose had their skiff here on the American for the on the water demo day ( http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?34279-Click-on-the-Watersports-Demo-Day-link-above ).

I and my wife took it out for a while.
PM me if you want to go into this further.

Dave

TaylerW
01-18-2015, 10:19 AM
Buy my Clacka Eddy so I don't have to drive it to Portland!

steveg137
01-18-2015, 08:12 PM
Really good thread.
I have no advice for you but very useful info from the above.
I have pontoon boat but like to get either inflatable 3 person or pram so my friend and or wife can take a ride.
I just don't have anywhere to store a bigger boat right now.
My wife already making noises about all my gear in the garage!
Let us know what u decide to do.

SeanO
01-18-2015, 11:36 PM
Spotted on the lower AR today two of those prams...

http://www.kiene.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10219&d=1421649330

tcorfey
01-20-2015, 10:27 PM
I am currently thinking up a new strategy after a talk with a friend of mine. Not sure how it will work though.

Considering the following:

A friend made me an offer to have my Canoe stored up in the Arnold area at his cabin there. In exchange I get free lodging and I can use it on Utica/Union/Spicer/Lake Alpine area. He and his family get to use it whenever also. Keep one of the electric motors up there too. I retain ownership of the canoe and pay the DMV fees.

I keep the Whaler for lakes in the Bay area, the Delta and up to Pyramid.

Buy a third pontoon boat for shallow water easy fishing with the family. Baum Lake, lower Stanislaus etc.. We can fit all three in the wife's mini-van.

Sell the pram it would just be redundant with the three pontoons.

Either buy a 2-3k aluminum drift boat to be kept in Redding at a friends house up there, see if I can make a similar arrangement as I can with the canoe or just hire guides for the lower Sac, Trinity and Klamath rivers then split the cost with a friend figure about 1-2k per year in guide trips and I don't need to row or arrange a shuttle. No maintenance or towing either.

At least that's the ideas I am toying with right now.

I know I will have to sit and fish on the canoe or the pontoon boats but that is not that bad and I get quite a bit of versatility.

Probably will put a little more thought in to this before I pull the trigger.