PDA

View Full Version : Lower Yuba Poaching

Rossflyguy
01-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Was out at lower Yuba last week above the Highway 20 bridge. I saw a fisherman with two fish hanging on a stringer around his waist. I know there's a 2 hatchery steelhead fish limit there but there's no planted fish there and I know one fish was under 16" so its not considered a steelhead. I called DFG and the warden called me back after 15 min. I told him what I saw and it sounded like he was reluctant to check it out. He told me the regs that I'm familiar with already and it seemed like he was implying they stock the river. I told him the fish didn't look hatchery and one was under 16". I'm not sure if he was familiar with lower Yuba or the regs. It didn't sound like he was doing anything with the quick response. He told me he'd check them out in a little while but I never saw DFG that day. I understand they are busy BUT with the quick response and his reluctance in his voice it just sounded like he was kinda avoiding this call. Anyone else experience this or see people take fish from Yuba? The larger fish was at least 20". Just an FYI, I have a lot of respect for DFG and what they do.

Alosa
01-10-2015, 02:20 PM
What a load of crap. I know they're busy, but when a citizen calls in a potential poaching issue they ought to be on that pronto!

cdevine
01-10-2015, 02:25 PM
What a load of crap. I know they're busy, but when a citizen calls in a potential poaching issue they ought to be on that pronto!

Let me play devils advocate. BTW, I'm 100% catch and release. Anywhere/everytime. But these wardens are very stretched. Huge areas to cover with limited resources. They have to prioritize. Its like the police when they are working on a car jacking vs petty theft. Where are they going to spend there limited time? These guys are working on legit poaching cases. A guy with 2 questionable fish? Not sure that is a defcom 9 type event.

Rossflyguy
01-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Let me play devils advocate. BTW, I'm 100% catch and release. Anywhere/everytime. But these wardens are very stretched. Huge areas to cover with limited resources. They have to prioritize. Its like the police when they are working on a car jacking vs petty theft. Where are they going to spend there limited time? These guys are working on legit poaching cases. A guy with 2 questionable fish? Not sure that is a defcom 9 type event.

They weren't questionable. When's the last time, if ever, have they stocked hatchery trout or steelhead in the Yuba? I know the smaller fish was less than 16" which classifies it as a trout and I believe it says 0 limit on trout. After asking my location he said he'd be there soon to check the guys out. So my assumption would be he didn't have any serious calls at that moment.

cdevine
01-10-2015, 03:37 PM
They weren't questionable. When's the last time, if ever, have they stocked hatchery trout or steelhead in the Yuba? I know the smaller fish was less than 16" which classifies it as a trout and I believe it says 0 limit on trout. After asking my location he said he'd be there soon to check the guys out. So my assumption would be he didn't have any serious calls at that moment.

They don't stock the yuba. Correct. Did you ask him if he knew the regs? I've talked to people before when its obvious like this was. Just in a polite manner. If it was that blatant my guess says he didn't. Yes its his responsibility but I'm surprised how many people don't. But if the tone of the Wardens voice wasn't alarmed in the first place he probably wasn't seriously considering coming out. I live by a warden and its pretty crazy the sort of stuff they pursue. Hunting consumes a lot of there time. Lots of shady characters and things. The fishing stuff on the coast with salmon, abalone, and steelies can get crazy too. Poaching trout? Pretty low risk for them.

Rossflyguy
01-10-2015, 08:05 PM
They don't stock the yuba. Correct. Did you ask him if he knew the regs? I've talked to people before when its obvious like this was. Just in a polite manner. If it was that blatant my guess says he didn't. Yes its his responsibility but I'm surprised how many people don't. But if the tone of the Wardens voice wasn't alarmed in the first place he probably wasn't seriously considering coming out. I live by a warden and its pretty crazy the sort of stuff they pursue. Hunting consumes a lot of there time. Lots of shady characters and things. The fishing stuff on the coast with salmon, abalone, and steelies can get crazy too. Poaching trout? Pretty low risk for them.

I'm pretty sure they knew what the regs were. There's a large sign on the side of the river where we were at that has the regs posted. Plus he was sorta hiding himself behind the trees there to shield what he had. I was with my wife and didn't want any confrontations. Even when I'm polite people get really defensive so I just usually call DFG now. I totally understand what DFG does but fish larger than 16'' are considered a steelhead on all rivers that have ocean going fish and that goes for Lower Yuba. The Warden said he'd show up that's my point. I'm not trying to bash anyone just asking around if they've had this issue before.

Darian
01-10-2015, 10:54 PM
Does straying by Feather River hatchery fish occur into the Yuba???

cyama
01-10-2015, 11:19 PM
Yes some of the fish from the Feather stray up the Yuba, but I would say it would be very very unlikely that someone would catch two of them above the HWY 20 bridge. Down lower maybe… That being said CDFW has a very high presence on the Yuba it is one of their target areas along with the Feather. They have even made a better effort on Putah. Call 1 888 DFG cal tip (888-334-2258 if you see poaching. The more people call the more they will monitor. The wardens have a tough job the more we can help them the better.

mattv-mcfly
01-10-2015, 11:50 PM
I honestly have never seen a warden on the Yuba. Either I'm blind as a bat or they are ninjas. Could you give us a description of what he looked like or what he was wearing? That'll help all of us legit anglers who want to keep the poaching out of our waters. If someone is dumb enough to poach fish on any body of water they are bound to do it again. Consistent reports of poaching would definitely turn the heads of the DFG.

cyama
01-11-2015, 12:06 AM
Although a different river the Feather I walked up on Mike Beals scoping the poachers above the Outhouse Riffle. Most people were snagging salmon around September, but he said he could see if a fish had an adipose fin from about 1/2 mile above the riffle. They have to be like ninjas to capture the fools...

cdevine
01-11-2015, 09:38 AM
Although a different river the Feather I walked up on Mike Beals scoping the poachers above the Outhouse Riffle. Most people were snagging salmon around September, but he said he could see if a fish had an adipose fin from about 1/2 mile above the riffle. They have to be like ninjas to capture the fools...

Those guys are super stealthy. Sometimes they want to make a presence and other times they go on the prowl. I've talked to a lot in NV but not many in CA. Wonder if NV has more per sq mile?