PDA

View Full Version : Sailor Bar Car Thieves

Mike Stroud
01-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Well,
As cold as it was on the Opener, and with the number of fisherman mingling about the put-in, I wouldn't have expected the thieves to be milling about. Guess I was a bit naive.

Nothing was actually stolen, but some Einstein thought he would try to break into my Yakima cargo box. (Which was empty). The cargo box was damaged, but nothing else. Could have been worse.

Beware the bums.

Tight Lines!

Smitty Fish
01-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Losers !! I herd it was a zoo up there. Did u see any fish caught?

cdevine
01-02-2015, 05:33 PM
Losers !! I herd it was a zoo up there. Did u see any fish caught?

Sorry to hear about the attempted robbery. Good lesson though not to leave any valuables in plain sight. That is one thing I don't run into up in the Sierra's. I guess I'm lucky. Urban fishing attracts some real winners.

Now for the fishing. I would assume with all the rain in mid december we had a healthy run of steelies that are in the Sunrise too Nimbus Region. Call me crazy. So any reports yet? Besides the normal combat fishing stuff. Hopefully some wardens were out at least to somewhat police the circus.

I'm only going to go midweek. Can't deal with the crazies.

Mike Stroud
01-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Thanks Smitty. Not really a zoo, as I really think is was much busier last year.

cdevine..... As far as fish caught? ... Well, it was the hardest I have fished for ten hours, for so few fish. We navigated the many boats and wading fishermen standing on redds, through Sailor Bar and upper sunrise and we found some fish. The emphasis is "some" fish. The crowds were concentrated in the first two miles, after which it thinned out. Seems the larger numbers of folks were only interested in that first section, although we saw no one hooked up in that area. Our group boated a couple dime bright half pounders up there, but didn't get into more until lower sunrise, where we picked up four more dead drifting. Of the 15 – 20 fish we brought to the net, only 2 fish tipped the scales at 2-3 lbs. These were all hot fish, lots of fun, but were didn’t get into larger fish like the group did last year.

One theory is that there larger fish just haven’t pushed up yet, even though we experienced some good weather and lots of rain last month. I heard from a couple of other boats later, that there were 2-3 heavy fish boated in the 4-6 lb range, but all in all it was slow for everyone.

Hope to hear from others in the forum, who may have got into larger fish!

cdevine
01-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Thanks Smitty. Not really a zoo, as I really think is was much busier last year.

cdevine..... As far as fish caught? ... Well, it was the hardest I have fished for ten hours, for so few fish. We navigated the many boats and wading fishermen standing on redds, through Sailor Bar and upper sunrise and we found some fish. The emphasis is "some" fish. The crowds were concentrated in the first two miles, after which it thinned out. Seems the larger numbers of folks were only interested in that first section, although we saw no one hooked up in that area. Our group boated a couple dime bright half pounders up there, but didn't get into more until lower sunrise, where we picked up four more dead drifting. Of the 15 – 20 fish we brought to the net, only 2 fish tipped the scales at 2-3 lbs. These were all hot fish, lots of fun, but were didn’t get into larger fish like the group did last year.

One theory is that there larger fish just haven’t pushed up yet, even though we experienced some good weather and lots of rain last month. I heard from a couple of other boats later, that there were 2-3 heavy fish boated in the 4-6 lb range, but all in all it was slow for everyone.

Hope to hear from others in the forum, who may have got into larger fish!

Stroud- Thanks for the report. Great info.
Wow at that size it would be fun with a 5-6wt setup. I just picked up a 7wt from a nice member on this forum and hopefully its not going to "horse" them in to much if I get into some fish. Typical setup? Caddis with egg dropper? What the hell I will try some different water. Maybe go Watt up to Sunrise. Tight lines and good luck.