PDA

View Full Version : American Report

njbeast
01-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Okay....I know somebody went out yesterday and today for steel...what happened???? Inquiring minds want to know!!!! I will be out Tuesday...

FattMerro
01-02-2015, 05:32 PM
I hit Rossmoor with a buddy for opening morning. Didn't have any luck or see any fish caught. River was in decent shape and lotsa folks fishing. Will try again this weekend somewhere in the barbless section. Good luck!

DAVID95670
01-02-2015, 10:51 PM
There was virtually nothing caught high up on the river.

cdevine
01-03-2015, 09:09 AM
There was virtually nothing caught high up on the river.

That really surprises me. With all that rain we got early/mid December you would have expected a big push up the river. Maybe skiddish because of water conditions? Low and clear? Good luck to all and happy new year.

spinfisher
01-04-2015, 08:34 PM
I was out on Sunday, below Rossmoor bar, not a single fish did I see. My casting skills have improved!

Rmacneil656
01-04-2015, 08:57 PM
There was an article posted about how only 10 adult steelhead have returned to the hatchery as of 12/29. If you ask me I wouldn't consider those fishable numbers.

cmcdhuibh
01-04-2015, 10:20 PM
I was at fairoaks area today didn't see anyone with steelies I caught 1 trout.
Its a little foul smelling along the rivers shore for sure.
Why does the F&G or the biologist cut the heads off the dead salmon? Some had tags on the jaws.

Jimmy G
01-04-2015, 10:36 PM
They cut them in half after they count them. They do this so the fish is not counted twice

cdevine
01-05-2015, 03:00 PM
They cut them in half after they count them. They do this so the fish is not counted twice

These reports have been awful. Casting is fun when you are actively pursuing fish. What a bummer. Are the flows just too low? Normal is closer to 2000 CFS right?

njbeast
01-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Okay...here goes. Fished today with my buddy Gordon...no hits...no runs...one kamikaze drive-by. Hit the water at Upper Sunrise about 0730 hours. Outside temperature was 38, no idea on the water temp. Water was about flowing about 900. Started on the West side of the island swinging my own version of Andy's U Name it. (My version because I didn't have the barred olive marabou, olive barred squirrel or white marabou...other than that it was a nice looking fly) Nothing....tried a couple of other patterns then broke down and indicator fished...nothing. Talked to a guy from Castro Valley who caught one at 0700 washing worms...2lbs. Went to the NE side of the island and had the same results. My friend was the victim of a Kamikaze Chrome attack. He was fishing a slot and as I walked up a nice 6-8 lb bright chrome metal-head with the most beautiful Furious Fuchsia lateral line busted the surface about three feet from him. I screamed like a beeeotch and he never saw the attack. Saw three boats back trolling in the hole NE of the island...no takers. One guide said they caught a 5 pounder about a mile upriver. Only saw two other guys fishing the whole day. Quit about 12:30 and washed away my sorrows with a nice cold Racer 5. All in all a great day on the river in the warm sunshine under blue skies. We'll get'em next time...
Beast

Paul B.
01-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Great report Beast, Thank you. Maybe next weekend for me.

cmcdhuibh
01-06-2015, 08:52 PM
"My version because I didn't have the barred olive marabou, olive barred squirrel or white marabou...other than that"

Thanks for the laugh........

njbeast
01-07-2015, 06:23 PM
We must en devour to preserver...Winston Churchill

STEELIES/26c3
01-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Indeed... and endeavor to persevere too~;)

DAVID95670
01-08-2015, 08:32 AM
We must en devour to preserver...Winston Churchill

I though it was Hannibal Lecter that devoured the previous server?

Troutsource
01-10-2015, 09:46 PM
Stopped by the hatchery this morning on my way back from an errand and saw neither hide nor hair of steelhead.

FattMerro
01-11-2015, 01:29 PM
I poked around this morning looking for steelhead in Carmichael without any luck. Saw a couple fish boil the surface, but still pretty quiet. Will keep trying!

DAVID95670
01-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Fished all morning from sunrise to El manto nada nothing not saw about 30 rods with nothing

Blueracer
01-11-2015, 11:17 PM
Yeah not many fish, slow.

njbeast
01-14-2015, 07:36 PM
Yeah not many fish, slow.

Well...fished by myself today for most of the day. Again no hits...maybe it's me...or maybe I need to follow Andy's tying directions more closely (That was for you "Cmcdhuibh") Fished the same area as last week...around the island. The good news is that I saw about 8-10 fish today...better than the one last week. Got to spend some time with my friend Vic...great fisherman...was sorry to hear about the loss of his son while on duty with the Border Patrol back in May. Vic set me up with a ten foot Scandi VersiLeader at then end of the day which helped casting and getting down...no AFIPA (After Fishing IPA) until home...which reminds me...

I'll be back at it next Wednesday...till then tight lines

tascaso
01-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the report, will try and get up there on Sunday, if the fog lifts!

-Tony

FattMerro
01-18-2015, 10:34 PM
Fished from 7 till Noon today starting in carmichael and ending near J st. Hooked into one steelie that looked to be about 2-3 lbs, but couldn't get it to the net. It jumped, and I'm a rookie. Also saw a (very late) ghostly salmon swim right by me...

tascaso
01-19-2015, 08:34 PM
Same here started at 0900 at Sailor and worked my way down river, hitting all the spots with a nymph rig and indicator, nothing but bottom. One big old salmon scared me half to death as I was watching the indicator go by it swam up the riffle on fire right by me, large, white with orange splotches. The only live fish I saw.

njbeast
01-19-2015, 09:44 PM
Saw one of those last week...big sucker.... My buddy said to keep an eye on it as the steelhead like to eat them...

njbeast
01-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Went out today..1/21...no love...few fish seen...saw one guy score with a red copper john...maybe I should go back to golf....