PDA

View Full Version : Swing the Smith

rh crank
01-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Hope to make the drive to the Smith this month, no guides just boots. I haven't seen much reference to swinging flies there and am still novice to spey. Are there sections of the Smith more spey/skagit friendly than others?
Any advice on line choices much appreciated too.
Long way to go with little info, thanks!

Norman B
01-01-2015, 02:08 PM
I go almost every year, as soon as I hear that the steelhead are in and the flows are good.
I have swung sink tips on single handed rods, then big sink tips on my speyrod, and only hooked one fish in almost 20 years!
I think that the best guides and experienced flyfisherman who go to the Smith, do better than me, but not multiple hook-ups or caught fish.
Now if you are willing to go to the indicator/nymph technique, you may do better.
Good luck!

rh crank
01-01-2015, 05:10 PM
I'll probably steer clear of the indicator rig and just pay my dues. I fished it with gear years ago and that was tough enough, except for the salmon/pram guys, can't remember ever seeing guys throwing flies. Thanks Norm

tallguy
01-01-2015, 06:22 PM
First trip there I landed two on the swing, back to back days. Next 10 years and counting, still haven't taken down the third. Goes to show you that you never know.

tallguy
01-01-2015, 06:25 PM
First trip there I landed two on the swing, back to back days. Next 10 years and counting, still haven't taken down the third. Goes to show you that you never know.

Incidentally, those were my first two steelhead ever, on my second steelhead fishing trip!

dpentoney
01-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Growing up on the North Coast in the '60s and '70s a major source of frustration among local fly fishermen was the fact that no one was ever able to do well on Smith River steelhead on flies. Lots of salmon were taken in tidewater on flies, but LOTS of very talented fly fishermen put in time on the Smith with little to show for it.

Mike Stroud
01-04-2015, 10:05 AM
I've always wanted to try the Smith on the fly, but haven't, so I'm eager to hear more. Spent a few days on the Smith with gear guides and did well, (2 - 6 fish/day). I think that's a good day on the Smith, anyway. What little experience I have had on the Smith, it taught me that when the flows are right, your cast needs to be spot on, and get down quick. Look forward to hearing more about Smith on the fly....