PDA

View Full Version : Where to screw studs into boots?

steveg137
12-30-2014, 07:59 PM
I've only used felt before.
Bought new pair Patagonia rubber boots and want to screw in the studs.
Seem to recall reading someone recommending three screws in a triangle, may have been Ralph cutter.

Any advice?

Thanks
Steve

steveg137
12-30-2014, 08:56 PM
I've only used felt before.
Bought new pair Patagonia rubber boots and want to screw in the studs.
Seem to recall reading someone recommending three screws in a triangle, may have been Ralph cutter.

Any advice?

Thanks
Steve

Actually found Ralph's post on trout underground blog.
If anyone is interested Ralph went with one aluminum stud at heel, one near big toe joint and another above heel.
I'm going to try the same thing.

midger
01-03-2015, 08:37 PM
If you're adding screws, I'd recommend more than 3 screws. My studded boots and the ones I added screws to have 12-14 screws/studs per boot. I just purchased a pair of rubber soled Patagonias in November and they came with a dozen screws per boot that I had to add and there were round spots on the sole to add them at. Just make sure the screws you add are short enough that they don't go completely through the sole.

steveg137
01-03-2015, 11:54 PM
Thanks mike, yeah I have Patagonia boots and the studs that came with them. Plan to put the, in tomorrow.

thanks for the help.
Steve

Terry Thomas
01-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Many brands come with 18 to a box. Place 5 up front and 4 on the heel. Space them out and go fish.

Larry S
01-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Steve,
Some guides don't allow studded boots in their boats. Almost wrote "don't allow studs." I would think that
they would accommodate these. I know Lance Gray now allows them. Orvis (and probably others) carries
http://www.orvis.com/p/shoe-in-over-boot-stud-covers/3t93.
Probably a good idea to check with a guide ahead of time.
Best,
Larry S