PDA

View Full Version : American River Flows

njbeast
12-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Been trying to find the best source for flows on the American. Plan on fishing Friday...day after the opener. Anybody care to weigh in on flies...egg patterns???

Thanks in advance. Hope all have a great New Year.

cdevine
12-28-2014, 07:19 PM
Been trying to find the best source for flows on the American. Plan on fishing Friday...day after the opener. Anybody care to weigh in on flies...egg patterns???

Thanks in advance. Hope all have a great New Year.

I've sort of been watching on and off and they were between 900-950CFS last time I checked and not fluctuating much. I would venture to say the water temps are in 54-56 range. I would say traditional setups like caddis nymphs trailed by egg patterns will work good. With the big rains the past month I have a feeling there are a lot of steelies above the power lines. Let us know how it goes. I'm planning on going out a few days after the opener as well.

Mark Kranhold
12-28-2014, 07:59 PM
Leech patterns in the 2-3 inch range , size 2-4 hooks. With the low flows I would opt going to the smaller size. Cast 1/4 down stream with choice of tip for water depth, mend. Step and move.. get the tug and let it sing..game on!:eek:

njbeast
12-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Mark,
Thanks for the input. I have a single hand 7wt. I have a floating line and some kind of sinking line. Don't really know anything about tips. G

Mark Kranhold
12-28-2014, 10:22 PM
You could get some poly tips for your floater to get down deeper. Do you have a loop on the front of your floater? If not the shop can put one on for you. Polytips come in floater thru 7" -8" sec. sink rate. Call Kiene's and describe what you have and they can set you up the right way. Is the sink line a full sink? Your 7wt. will be perfect for the river. Good luck out there!

njbeast
12-29-2014, 11:54 AM
I don't really know what type of sinking line I have. Yes I have a loop. What sink rate poly tips would you recommend? I had a pretty good year the year before last. Caught my first steel on the American using an old Fenwick HMG I wrapped myself...used a five wt line. Then I got the 7wt. Trying to learn to spey cast with my single 7 so I can get out a little farther. Thanks again for sharing.

Spicytuna1
12-29-2014, 12:53 PM
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/river/rivcond.html
American at Fair Oaks seems to be most accurate.

Good luck man, I am hoping to hook up with you guys one day up there after talking to Gordy. Let me know how you end up

njbeast
12-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Right on Dave. Let you know how I do. We will have to hook up.

Mark Kranhold
12-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Njbeast, I would get everything from intermediate to extra super fast sink. They do make the whole kit that comes with a wallet. Here is Airflo and Rio's link.

www.rajeffsports.com/polyleaders.php

Freshwater VersiLeaders - Fly Fishing Leaders | RIO Products
www.rioproducts.com/.../versileader/fres...
RIO's Freshwater VersiLeaders have a strong nylon core in excess of 24 lb, and are tapered for the best in performance.