PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Revisions to BDCP/EIR/EIS....

Darian
12-22-2014, 10:29 PM
DWR recently released proposed revisions to the BDCP/EIR/EIS. Some of these revisions are as follows:

"_ Eliminate three pumping plants on the east bank of the Sacramento River between Hood and Walnut
Grove.
_ Minimize activity on Staten Island, which provides important sandhill crane habitat, by removing tunnel
launch facilities, large reusable tunnel material storage areas, a barge landing site, and high-voltage
power lines.
_ Increase use of property owned by the California Department of Water Resources (DWR).

_ Eliminate the need for additional permanent power lines to the intake locations in the north Delta,
including near Stone Lakes National Wildlife Refuge.

_ Eliminate impacts on Italian Slough (near Clifton Court Forebay) by removing an underground siphon.

_ Reduce power requirements.

_ Allow water to flow from the Sacramento River entirely by gravity at certain river stages.

_ Reduce tunnel operation and maintenance costs."

The entire release letter can be read at:

http://www.water.ca.gov/news/newsreleases/2014/121914.pdf

Since the Governor has stated that this project is one the cornerstones of his last term in state government and the plans are continually reviewed/revised, it's apparent that it will be implemented in some form or another (barring any successful litigation). Time to start paying attention.

JasonB
12-22-2014, 10:43 PM
DWR recently released proposed revisions to the BDCP/EIR/EIS. Some of these revisions are as follows:

_ Allow water to flow from the Sacramento River entirely by gravity at certain river stages.

What a concept, boggles the mind considering the brilliance and forward thinking of todays best and brightest. Who knew...

(sorry, I know it's serious, but I couldn't help but laugh when I read that one)

SeanO
12-22-2014, 10:46 PM
Sounds so rosy now... NOT.

Thanks for the update, D.

Darian
12-28-2014, 11:22 PM
Recently, a letter to the editor appeared in the SacBee commenting in opposition to the proposed revisions to the BDCP EIR/EIS. Notably, the letter was written by one of the directors of the Delta Protection Commission (a state agency). Amazingly, the position taken in this letter is in directly opposite that of virtually all others. The letter appears to be based on an earlier letter to DWR, et. al., making official comments on the BDCP EIR/EIS. Check out the link for the text of that letter:

http://www.delta.ca.gov/res/docs/BDCP/BDCP_Comment_Letter_7-24-14.pdf

Comments in this letter are direct and on target. Hopefully, someone in authority is finally listening.... But I'm not holding my breath....

SeanO
12-29-2014, 08:37 AM
Nice!

Hope no one losses their job over that letter.

Darian
12-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Agreed it would be a shame for anyone to be fired for doing their job.... More likely the result was reduced funding for agency/commission activities, this time.

The letter illustrates the inherent conflict in creation of the "two co-equal goals" for the Delta. Especially when one (the tunnels) is the real goal.