PDA

View Full Version : Trinity River Regs Confusion

mattv-mcfly
12-20-2014, 02:19 PM
So I've read the regs for the Klamath Basin several several times. I know that the Trinity is open all-year for fishing but in the regs it states that certain sections are only open from Jan 1st - August 31st. Is this only for the take of fish? It gets even more confusing when you get into the tributaries regs on the Trinity. Can someone enlighten me about how this works?

dude02
12-20-2014, 03:10 PM
On the main stem, the Jan 1st - August 31st and September 1 - December 31 dates in the regs generally have to do with salmon limits. You'll notice that the limits are different for the two time periods, with a quota of fish for the fall run. The limits for hatchery steelhead and brown trout do not change between the two time periods for listed stretches.

There is a closed zone down low to all fishing (Reg. 6c) from September 1 - December 31 (Cedar Flat to Hawkins Bar).

The only other odd main stem regulation is on the fly fishing only section which is from the old Lewiston bridge upstream to 250 feet below the dam which is open only from April 1 - Sept 15.

Tributaries aren't really that complicated other than geography if your not familiar with it. In a nutshell, no salmon and two hatchery steelhead on listed tributaries, most of which are open from Nov. 1 - March 31 with New River being an oddball.

My general rule is if it isn't listed, don't fish it when it comes to steelhead waters. Hope this helps a bit.

mattv-mcfly
12-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Kudos dude. That clears up a lot of it for me. Thanks again I appreciate it!