PDA

View Full Version : Best match for sage xp 9.6 5 weight?

steveg137
12-04-2014, 11:53 PM
Hi everyone, I need to replace my sage xp that I lost at manzanita this year, still hurts :(

What would you recommend as closest replacement for the xp?

I'll be throwing a few rods to really make sure but appreciate your perfectives.

According to Yellowstone 5 weight shoot the Loomis nrx and loop opti stream are top rods in the category, thoughts?!

Thanks
Steve

Charlie S
12-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Go cast a TFO BVK 10 ft 5wt. You won't be disappointed.

DAVID95670
12-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Hi everyone, I need to replace my sage xp that I lost at manzanita this year, still hurts :(

What would you recommend as closest replacement for the xp?

I'll be throwing a few rods to really make sure but appreciate your perfectives.

According to Yellowstone 5 weight shoot the Loomis nrx and loop opti stream are top rods in the category, thoughts?!

Thanks
Steve

596-3 Sage One i love this rod and it has the back bone to single spey a rio grand line

FISHEYE
12-05-2014, 10:41 AM
I agree, the Sage One is a great rod. However, I think there are plenty of used XPs on the market. Take a look at tradenstuff.com I also think the z-axis is a great rod.

jds108
12-05-2014, 11:55 AM
If you've got the money, go with one of the big company's current top 'o the line offerings. My favs are Sage Method and Orvis H2. The only top rod I didn't like was the Loomis NRX - the rod seemed stiff enough that I didn't have as good of a feel for the line. But they've come out with an updated "presentation" series, but that only goes to a 5 wt.

Sage One is also good, it's very similar to z-axis in my opinion. The Method is noticeably faster than the One. The Method should be used with a line 1 wt heavier than rated, unless you're trying to cast 100'+. Winston's newest rod is now also very fast action, so just like the Sage, Orvis, and Loomis. As the years go on, they're all kind of converging on the same thing...

I'd go with a 10' rod if it's mostly being used in a float tube.

I haven't cast all of those rods that the Yellowstone Angler reviewed, but I think those reviews are awesome and you could just go with whichever rod they describe that resonates with what you're looking for.

TaylerW
12-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Scott Radian!!!

rhilliard
12-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Check your PM's

DAVID95670
12-05-2014, 09:39 PM
I got an orvis h2 recently and must say that it is an amazing rod . Seriously amazing. 8wt 9ft it is a dream