PDA

View Full Version : Barometric Pressure and Solunar effect on Trout

gene goss
11-26-2014, 12:07 PM
I been trying to teach in my clinics about how to use Barometric Pressure and Solunar table to help pick the best time to fish.
Here is a web. site that i use for Pyramid Lake for Solunar and some info. on Barometric Pressure.
I would welcome any feedback on this post.

http://www.nc-flyfishing.com/effects-of-barometric-pressure

http://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/index.php?forecast=solunar&zipcode=89501&pands=reno,nevada&place=reno&state=nv&country=us&smon=12&syear=2014&submit=Go

The best time to fish is a Major Time, the moon is overhead or underfoot and is 2 hrs. long.
A good time is a Minor Time, the rising of the moon or the setting of the moon and is 1 hr. long.

Darian
11-26-2014, 04:32 PM
Actually, there's been quite a bit of material written about the effects of barometric pressure on Salmon/Steelhead. The first author I recall writing about how to use that effect to advantage was Jim Freemen, a now former outdoors writer for the San Francisco Chronicle (that was in the early to mid 60's). Other writers that I'm aware of have covered this subject since that time. I'll bet there's a bunch of research on this subject on-line.

IM unscientific opinion, there's no dispute that fish of all types are sensitive to changes in barometric pressure, up or down. For example, many of the Striper guys I talk to believe that a falling barometer affects feeding behavior of Stripers and Black Bass negatively. On the other hand, Freeman, other authors and my own experience reflects that a falling barometer especially prior to a storm tends to make Salmon, Trout and Steelhead more active.

When I lived in the bay area, I used to try to time trips to north coast estuaries with the arrival of an approaching cold front. If I timed it correctly, I would already be fishing when the rain started. During those trips I don't recall ever being skunked. The only question for me is what actually made the fish suddenly become active?? Was it the change in barometric pressure, beginning rainfall or both?? Rain in fall/winter tends to be warmer than the water temps in lakes/rivers where it falls. That tends to raise the temperature of the water and provide oxygenation. Maybe that alone contributed to the increased activity but I believe that even fish know that a falling barometer might indicate some favorable change, etc. Of course, tidal influence will do the same for estuary fishing(??) and a low tide tends to concentrate fish in smaller areas. Does any of this apply up river or in lakes?? I've had some very good days fishing on valley rivers just prior to arrival of storms. Another factor to consider in valley streams is operation of dams to control flows.... For warm water fish, maybe the opposite is true. If they're put down by a falling barometer, maybe they're activated by a rising one.

Not sure any of this helps but.... ;)

gene goss
11-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Darian and Doug .....thank you for your reply.

I'm still thinking about how all this works and what part play's a greater role in fishing.

http://www.thejump.net/fishingarticles/Great-Moon-Phase-Debate.htm

gene goss
11-29-2014, 05:06 PM
After looking at everything i could find on the internet i still don't see a pattern to the soluner table and fresh water lakes fishing.
The Soluner table....only looks at the gravity pull of the moon and the sun and said the major and minor periods of the new moon or the full moon overhead or underfoot is the best time to fish that month and a moon rising or setting time is a good time to be fishing for the rest of the month.
The full moon overhead or new moon overhead can pull the atmosphere toward the moon and increase the Barometric pressure.

The Barometric Pressure....Because a higher or lower barometric pressure exerts more or less pressure respectively upon the surface of the water. The water pressure also changes indirect proportion to the changes in the atmospheric pressure. The fish feel these changes in their swim bladders, and have to adjust for the change.
The temperature of the air.....as the air heats up the Barometric pressure will slightly decrease and as the air cools the Barometric pressure will slightly increase.

Water pressure Depths....under water pressure will increase .432 psi. for every foot under the surface of the water.
Wave height is measured from the top of the wave to the trough....a 1 ft. wave will have more change on the under water pressure.

What can i use from all this....not much

1. Full moon underfoot would be a better time to fish .....high noon
2. Start of a falling Barometric pressure is the best time to fish.
3. A steady Barometric pressure is also good.

JasonB
11-29-2014, 05:53 PM
... or you could just fish... ;)
Might catch some, might not.

Not trying to be critical at all, and it is kind of interesting to a point. I still think though that the best time to fish is whenever you can get to the water. Had a great time fishing the other day, between the two of us we totaled maybe 2 solid bites, a couple "maybe" (rocks probably) and one 12" trout. We kind of knew we were going out in pretty sub optimal conditions, but still better fishing than waiting for theoretical optimal conditions for me. I find if I adjust my expectations then they are rarely unmet. I think some of the times I've gone out when the timing was "perfect" I tend to fish a bit more tense and sort of expect some stellar action... which doesn't always happen.

Anyways, carry on. I am actually learning a thing or two here, just not sure if I'll be able to ever really be able apply it.
Cheers,
JB

Darian
11-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Im finding the following observation a bit confusing:

"The full moon overhead or new moon overhead can pull the atmosphere toward the moon and increase the Barometric pressure."

I don't doubt that gravitational influence of the moon could tend to distort/pull our atmosphere towards it as it does tides but how does pulling the atmosphere towards the moon cause an increase barometric pressure??? As I understand, in high pressure atmospheric conditions heavy air presses down on the surface of the earth creating increased pressure readings on barometers. in low pressure conditions air is lighter and rises creating decreased pressure readings on barometers. It seems to me that when the atmosphere is pulled towards the moon, it would have to rise, creating a low pressure condition directly under the moon and increasing air pressure elsewhere. Keep in mind, this is all just a guess on my part.

Interesting info in this thread but for me, solunar tables are only of use in timing tidal influences. So, when fishing fresh/still water, I fish when the opportunity comes around.

gene goss
11-29-2014, 10:38 PM
... or you could just fish... ;)
Might catch some, might not.

Not trying to be critical at all, and it is kind of interesting to a point. I still think though that the best time to fish is whenever you can get to the water. Had a great time fishing the other day, between the two of us we totaled maybe 2 solid bites, a couple "maybe" (rocks probably) and one 12" trout. We kind of knew we were going out in pretty sub optimal conditions, but still better fishing than waiting for theoretical optimal conditions for me. I find if I adjust my expectations then they are rarely unmet. I think some of the times I've gone out when the timing was "perfect" I tend to fish a bit more tense and sort of expect some stellar action... which doesn't always happen.

Anyways, carry on. I am actually learning a thing or two here, just not sure if I'll be able to ever really be able apply it.
Cheers,
JB

Jason you are right the best time to fish is whenever you can get to the water......but.....if you want to catch some fish you have to pick the best time and place to fish for that day, or hire a guide that know's the best time and place for that day.
I like to share with people about how to go about picking the best time and place to fish, and this post had 400+ hits, so maybe a couple of the hits learned something from this post..... i know that i learned something from this post, and from other people that post on the forum.

gene goss
11-30-2014, 12:22 AM
Im finding the following observation a bit confusing:

"The full moon overhead or new moon overhead can pull the atmosphere toward the moon and increase the Barometric pressure."

I don't doubt that gravitational influence of the moon could tend to distort/pull our atmosphere towards it as it does tides but how does pulling the atmosphere towards the moon cause an increase barometric pressure??? As I understand, in high pressure atmospheric conditions heavy air presses down on the surface of the earth creating increased pressure readings on barometers. in low pressure conditions air is lighter and rises creating decreased pressure readings on barometers. It seems to me that when the atmosphere is pulled towards the moon, it would have to rise, creating a low pressure condition directly under the moon and increasing air pressure elsewhere. Keep in mind, this is all just a guess on my part.

Interesting info in this thread but for me, solunar tables are only of use in timing tidal influences. So, when fishing fresh/still water, I fish when the opportunity comes around.
Darian this web. site will show how the gravity of the full or new moon overhead can increase the barometric pressure.

http://www.spiritualresearchfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2-Gravitational-Pull.jpg

Ralph
11-30-2014, 09:31 AM
At sea level a cubic meter of air weighs about 3 pounds. A cubic meter of water weighs 2,200 pounds. The greatest swings ever measured in barometric pressure can be compared to ripples of water weight. When fish are subjected to boat wake, waves, and high velocity currents, it is hard for me to believe that a shift in barometric pressure, in and of itself, has much meaning. Barometric changes can cause tidal shifts and current swings and probably a lot of other stuff we fail to understand. I thinks these corollary factors are why barometric pressure might effect fish. If this is the case, barometric pressure changes out at sea are going to have far different effects on fish than near shore or in inland lakes and streams.

gene goss
11-30-2014, 10:05 AM
This web. site for the undergroundweather has a 10 day forecast that show's the Barometric pressure, temperature, and etc. If you look at the graph for Barometric pressure you can see a decrease in Barometric pressure for the warm's part of the day for the 10 day forecast, now i just started looking at this Barometric pressure stuff....but if you look at the graph you can see a gradual increase of Barometric pressure for the full moon....hmmmmm ....i need to watch this a little more to see if there is a connection....research for me is fun.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=Reno%2C+NV

gene goss
11-30-2014, 11:23 AM
At sea level a cubic meter of air weighs about 3 pounds. A cubic meter of water weighs 2,200 pounds. The greatest swings ever measured in barometric pressure can be compared to ripples of water weight. When fish are subjected to boat wake, waves, and high velocity currents, it is hard for me to believe that a shift in barometric pressure, in and of itself, has much meaning. Barometric changes can cause tidal shifts and current swings and probably a lot of other stuff we fail to understand. I thinks these corollary factors are why barometric pressure might effect fish. If this is the case, barometric pressure changes out at sea are going to have far different effects on fish than near shore or in inland lakes and streams.

You are right Ralph.....the under water pressure is greater then the Barometric pressure.
Trout have a close swim bladders, so the swim bladders use oxygen from the blood to change the pressure in the swim bladders. The trout will adjust the swim bladders for a neutral buoyancy for whatever depth they want to stay at without having to swim to maintain that depth. When the Barometric pressure starts to drop, the trout has to adjust the air bladders or swim to maintain that depths, if they don't the trout will rise to the surface.
If you have waves and a falling Barometric pressure the trout would have to do a lot of adjusting to the swim bladders to maintain a neutral buoyancy, and with a close swim bladders this would take a little time to adjust. The trout can swim and change the depth they want to be at (active trout moving around looking for food).... everything that has a air bladder has to adjust for the pressure change....the shallow water will be effect the most by a low Barometric pressure and waves, the trout know this and move into the shallow water to feed for a short time before they move out to deep water that will have less effect on the swim bladders.

TyV
11-30-2014, 07:38 PM
I have found that both lunar phase and barometric pressure have a substantial effect on saltwater fish and fishing. As for their effect on trout in rivers, not as much. However, I have noticed that with dropping pressure as a low pressure system moves in before a storm, that trout in rivers often seem to slow the bite. That being said, fishing in the rain once the low has settled in can be fantastic. The only time I hesitate to fish for trout in rivers is in the 12 hours or so before a cold front arrives. Though if it's the only chance I have to go, I still often do...usually with tough conditions.