PDA

View Full Version : Yeah! Snow in the mountains

tcorfey
11-22-2014, 05:36 PM
Was just checking the snow levels and got a surprise. They are reporting 53" at Carson Pass at 8500'.

Any lower than that not so much but it's a good start. Leavitt Lake and Dismal Swamp are each showing about 12". Then it drops off to like 4" etc… Hopefully, it just keeps building throughout the winter.

cdevine
11-23-2014, 11:24 AM
Was just checking the snow levels and got a surprise. They are reporting 53" at Carson Pass at 8500'.

Any lower than that not so much but it's a good start. Leavitt Lake and Dismal Swamp are each showing about 12". Then it drops off to like 4" etc… Hopefully, it just keeps building throughout the winter.

I would love that to be the case but I have a hard time believing this storm dropped anywhere near that total even at 8500ft. Where did you read this? I was up over a couple passes the last few days and if higher elevations got 12 inches they were lucky. This was a very warm storm but the good thing is some places got 2 + inches of rain which all adds to the reservoirs. The big truckee is flowing at 150 cubes in the canyon which is up about 75 from last week.

tcorfey
11-24-2014, 12:59 AM
The snow depth reports come from Snotel via Wunderground. You are correct I checked the snow depth on Saturday in the morning did not believe it and went back at night and it was still there. A day later Now it reads 0" on Carson Pass so I guess someone was screwing around and did a mistype. They are still showing 12 and 13 inches at Leavitt Lake and Dismal swamp.

http://www.wunderground.com/StateSnowDepth.asp?state=CA

bigfly
11-25-2014, 10:31 AM
A watched pot will eventually boil, but it may seem forever.........
Never believe the snow reports. Especially squaw...
For accurate info, get to know someone who is living it....

Jim