PDA

View Full Version : TU Wild Steelhead Initiative

Rick J
11-21-2014, 07:55 AM
I am really excited about this. I was appointed as the CATU representative for this effort at the State TU meeting last month. At that meeting I got to meet John McMillan (son of Bill) who is a renown fisheries biologist with a wealth of information who was recently hired by TU to help get this project off the ground

http://www.wildsteelheaders.org/

Bwag
11-21-2014, 10:40 PM
"Picking up a Steelhead on a fly, especially in a wilderness area, and bringing it to hand, is powerful enough where you quit jobs, you move, you dream about it, you wake up in the morning and you go, how can I get to that Steelhead run today".

Man have those thoughts run through my mind on several occasions. I can't count how many times I've told my wife if I had it to do all over again I'd be a game warden. I'll retire in less than 15 years and want nothing more than the Steelhead, Salmon and Rivers to be in a better place than they are today.

Thanks for posting that link, I'm guilty of deleting the email from TU and would never have watched it or signed on!

Terry Thomas
11-22-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm in...thanks Rick.

amoeba
11-22-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm not:

TU lost me completely with their support of initiatives to ban felt; which unfortunately passed in some states. There is no evidence that it makes - or could make - a difference (besides fishermen falling down). A primary target species - didymo - is a native alga that around fine on duck feet before the invention of felt soles.

Although Simms first discontinued and then re-introduced felt soles (to my cheers); TU never admitted they were wrong.

If TU wants to make a difference, they can promote people scrubbing the dirt off their wading shoes....but they don't.

The only thing I do with TU mailings is tear them in half before throwing them in the garbage to make sure no one else gets misinformed.

Larry S
11-22-2014, 05:33 PM
amoeba,
Are you saying that you go thru life making your decisions on one issues
items? TU has much to be praised and criticized beyond the felt/no-felt controversy.
You gonna leave your wife because she burned the roast? Quit your job because someone else got the window
desk?
This looks like a program to support. If you don't agree, why not stay out of the game?
Best to all,
Larry S

JasonB
11-23-2014, 10:35 AM
I'm not:

TU lost me completely with their support of initiatives to ban felt; which unfortunately passed in some states. There is no evidence that it makes - or could make - a difference (besides fishermen falling down). A primary target species - didymo - is a native alga that around fine on duck feet before the invention of felt soles.

Although Simms first discontinued and then re-introduced felt soles (to my cheers); TU never admitted they were wrong.

If TU wants to make a difference, they can promote people scrubbing the dirt off their wading shoes....but they don't.

The only thing I do with TU mailings is tear them in half before throwing them in the garbage to make sure no one else gets misinformed.

Let me get this straight; you refuse to support, and encourage others not to support the work to improve habitat and protect wild steelhead runs because TU made an attempt at minimizing the spread of invasive species. You're upset because the didn't "apologize"? For what? Because you've slipped a few more times due to non felt soles? REALLY???

Seems to me that there are FAR more pressing issues here, and whether or not I agree with everything TU (or any other group, company, or individual) has said and done, I think that it's important to see the bigger picture on conservation issues. For what it's worth, I'm inclined to agree that a felt ban may not be the best course of action regarding invasive species, but I'm surely not going to let that sway my thoughts on more urgent issues.

It would be utterly impossible to find a dozen anglers to agree 100% on each and every issue, so if we divide ourselves every time there is a difference we'll be a completely silent and impotent series of groups of 2 and 3 who spend half there time and effort arguing amongst themselves. Perhaps you might see fit to question the severity of issues affecting your fishing pleasure, and of future generations as well. I would hope that what kinds of soles are available would place far, far down the list of pressing issues.
JB

JasonB
11-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Thanks Rick for posting this. Looks great. The website is very nice, and the "habitat maps" are a great idea as well.
Cheers,
JB

ycflyfisher
12-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Congrats Rick. Sounds like a great opportunity. IMO if there's one org that everyone should be supporting it's TU.

Digger
12-08-2014, 11:17 PM
I support TU, CalTrout, Western Rivers, Friends of the River, etc and have for many years.
I’ve done so financially because it’s the easiest way for me to contribute to ‘The Cause’

I believe in the Ideal or the Concept of what these organizations stand for, and are ultimately trying to accomplish in the bigger picture.

I think these organizations are a great means for a collective voice to be heard.
A great way to lobby for issues that affect our sport, hobby, addiction, love, or whatever you call it.
There may be an initiative or two I’m not totally fond of, but the overall Cause is what matters most to me.

Scott V
12-09-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm not:

Wow, based on one issue you refuse to deal with a group that is helping to save our fishery.

Well based on that, I refuse to acknowledge you based on this one post. No loss to me or you. So long, farewell, and good bye!