PDA

View Full Version : I got Slugged!

Norman B
11-15-2014, 07:47 AM
I fished all day yesterday, and when I was removing my boots and waders, I noticed a brown slimy sludge on my wader neoprene booty. The stuff was about a half inch thick and gross!
So I looked in my boot and found a large banana slug crushed and dead after a day inside my boot. He must have crawled in my boot and I did not know until his messy demise.
The problem is that I can't get the sticky gooey stuff off the booty. I tried warm soapy water, scrubbing, wiping, and it is still slimy.
Any advice would be appreciated

Darian
11-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Hmmm,.... I didn't realize squashed Slugs left such a residue but.... Anyway, Slugs dissolve in salt spread on the ground, maybe that would work on your boot. :confused: You might want to re-think where you store your boots.

Norman B
11-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Tried kosher salt sprinkled on the ooze, and 50% was removed, now soaking in salt water.
Thanks for the advice.
By the way, I sleep in my waders and boots!

SeanO
11-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Yuck! That's a whole lotta nasty inside your boot.

I'd be inclined to toss 'em except for the $$ issue.

Good luck to you!

Larry S
11-15-2014, 05:47 PM
Norman,
Be careful who(what) you sleep with.
BTW, how was the fishing?
Best,
Larry S

roywest
11-15-2014, 07:45 PM
I was helping out at the East Bay Regional Parks Botanic Garden plant sale one April about 15 years ago. It was pouring rain. A banana slug had crawled into one of the pots so I picked it up and moved it away from the sale. It took me the better part of a day of washing with soap and hot water to feel like the residue was gone. Lesson learned.

Norman B
11-16-2014, 06:56 AM
The fishing is always great, the catching is another level.
Still good water temps for skating flies so I am happy.
Fish are scattered so you need to hunt them on the move.
Steelhead are special and need to be worshipped

Bitter Dave
11-18-2014, 08:57 PM
A quick google search suggests white vinegar to remove the slime.