PDA

View Full Version : Big Fish, Schoolies, Seals, Screaming :) and lots of fun!! And a babbling post!!

James
11-15-2014, 06:31 AM
Well I'd thought I'd share some of the stuff that's been happening around the delta, from real close and far well know waters to not so known spots.
No spots named though, alot i couldnt name correctly probably, anyways.I am starting to explore to area's, alot of areas that I'm way unfamiliar with, I think that is the most fun, getting fish in unknown waters, makes for a awesome benefit, but the exploring is a BLAST!

From top water to subsurface. From big fish to schoolies( don't count dinks). Favorite depth is 3'-6' if I could those.

It's been such a treat living on the delta, I've been living out here for about 7 months now, and I do feel lucky. I fish almost every day and I'm learning alot in a short amount of time. But I would not know as much as I do if it wasn't for guys like Steve Santucci, Maury hatch, Dan Blanton, and some local guys that have became buddies, that take me out at nite to spots that I would never stop at. Still My favorite spots are the ones no one is at. But if I had to pick, I'd say west delta. Somewhere out west:))) or was it north.

I've had all kinds of cool things happen out here fishing, and not so cool :) I mean the one I got sea lioned at the boat, yes, just i was about to lift a nice 10pder into my skiff and out of no where a seal comes up and just tears the belly open, well I didn't let him have that fish, I yelled at him and I hung on, sorry about the death pic if it offends.

I've fished last fall and this spring , and now this fall. I must say, I do like spring better, less people, less weeds, conditions that are not that great unless you live here and can cherry pick your times, you do fish in more wind, Oh yeah, bigger and better top water fishing :) For the fish, ( no crap in the water ) not conditions.
Anyone that really knows me, knows I can waste alot of time on top, but I'm just looking for one fish, the ONE!

My biggest this year/fall is 17 and about a half dozen double D's, LOTS of schoolies 3-5pds, I don't really like to blow up numbers with dinks. One real important thing I learned, DON'T LINGER if your not catching, move around, ALOT.

I'm going to keep this positive, so I won't get into the Pouchers I've ran off of spots, that's the screaming part :) Hate those f#€^*ks!

As everyone knows, especially Dan, my pic's suck. I swear Dan I'm getting set up in the next week :)

We are all blessed to have these waters to fish. The wild life to see while on the water.

Long winded James

99599960996199629963oceanairsf@gmail.com

Tony Buzolich
11-15-2014, 08:26 AM
James,
Those are some really nice fish. I hear what you're saying about hitting some off the beaten path spots.
Tony

Darian
11-15-2014, 11:06 AM
WOW!!! Fishing most everyday for 7months and catching double digit Stripers on the fly; you've really got it going on. Really like the pic's. At least the Seal left you enough of that Striper to take home for dinner. :cool:

James
11-16-2014, 06:04 AM
Thanks guys!

Yes I'm feeling very blessed. Taking two days off from fishing, and I'm already twitching :)

James

Chasin Fin
11-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Very nice!!! I'm with you on the top water! You just never know when it's going to happen!

Question, what line are you throwing when you are targeting the 3-6 feet of clean water sub surface? Thinking of adding the RIO OBS intermediate as i haven't been able to target this depth effectively with the type 6 line. Thanks and best of luck out there.

James
11-16-2014, 10:47 AM
Thanks

I use a rio OBS type 3 and a OBS floater in that depth. Sometimes an I-line.

James

Chasin Fin
11-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Thanks. I guess I need another setup!

Hatch
11-17-2014, 07:16 PM
I love you man!!
18 months ago some joker named James called me and booked a spring striper trip. JR was already a Surf Fishing Striper Junkie, and could cast great. We met at the dock and it was overcast and misty/rainy. He brought a buddy with him (Seb) and we headed out at first light. Well it was one of those days that the Delta provides every once in a while. We found a group of feeding egrets 100 yards from the dock and started throwing topwater and got into some decent fish right away! We moved around and basically caught fish at most or all of our stops. It was a guides "Dream Day" Sebastian caught several REALLY nice fish and James was doing good also. I knew by the look in JRs eyes that we had "Created a Monster". Well James ? How much $$$ have you invested on the Tug Is The Drug Striper Addiction? Just kidding, our wives don't need to know! So glad that you have fallen in love with my favorite species on the fly. You are THE MAN!
Thanks for your enthusiasm and your stewardship.
HATCH

Randy Lee
11-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Four inch fly , five inch fish. I need to get a bigger fly!
Randy

James
11-18-2014, 04:37 AM
It's all because of that one day!! And that is still my best top water session to date. Hey Maury, I was so worried that I couldn't throw that pole dancer, but it turned into a dream session! Thanks for that, and thanks for creating the monster :)

Btw - They getting off the beach right now, in mid November! Those need to hurry up and get to the Delta.

Thanks for the addiction Maury! Oh yeah, alot of money spent :)

James