PDA

View Full Version : Pan fish "starter" for grandkids

Lee Haskin
11-14-2014, 11:06 AM
My daughter is looking to me to get her kids (my grandkids) into fishing. They live in Folsom, and I am hoping to find a panfish pond to start them on their way-even if it is a private, pay-to-play, situation. I really want them to have a successful experience, so I can graduate them to fly fishing, someday.

The kids are 5,7 & 9 years old.

If I could find a place with good carp fishing, that would work too (for them & for me!!!)

I have all but given up getting my other grandkids into fly fishing. They are 16 & 18 years old, and live in Alaska. (Go figure!)

Any help would be appreciated!

Lee

Scott V
11-14-2014, 12:43 PM
Lee,
Behind Folsom High School on Prairie City Road is Willow Hill pond. There are a ton of small gills in there and some bass. They even plant the place with trout during the winter.

Lee Haskin
11-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks, Scott. That is within walking distance, from my daughters house! I plan to get the kids outfits this Christmas, and try to remember how to bait a hook. Grin!

Cheers,
Lee

Scott V
11-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Use really small pieces of a worm on the hooks. The little guys like tiny bait more than a whole worm. I showed that to another guy that was fishing with his kids and then they started to catch a ton of gills.

Lee Haskin
11-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Perfect! It has been a long time since I fished with bait! It should all makes sense once I get started. Hopefully, I can graduate them to fly fishing!

Scott V
11-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Tiny little poppers worked great. My wife who does not fish, went nuts when she saw them coming up for my tiny little foam poppers. She finally understood why I love to fly fish. She thought it was the coolest thing, until I let her see big trout eat dries, then she really understood and no longer questions my sick obsession with fly fishing.