PDA

View Full Version : looking for a bit of help picking a 10-12wt rod

JasonB
11-14-2014, 10:45 AM
I know that it's a very tough thing to recommend a fly rod to another angler over the internet, and it's all quite subjective. Still I was hoping that I might glean a little insight from those of you who do a lot more saltwater fishing than I have, and perhaps narrow my focus down a bit. I'm looking at building a rod for me Dad, whose technique is lacking (he's the first to say that he needs all the help he can get there). He will be mostly shore fishing, and winds will be a common factor to deal with. Rod weight and swing weight are both a major issue, so I've been looking to keep things as light as possible. Probably need to keep the blank cost down to less than $200, so I'm not looking at Sage or anything.

Had been looking at the TFO BVK pretty hard, in part reviews are usually pretty positive and in part the blank weight is very light. But honestly really don't know if there would be substantially better options out there ...
Any input is quite welcomed, thanks
JB

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Wading or surf fishing is usually a 9' #8, 9 or 10 weight rod depending on the size of the flies thrown.

2 piece rods are OK for local fishing with 4 piece being the choice for travel.

A Redington Predator fly rod is the best value priced heavy duty series.

JasonB
11-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Thanks Bill, he does have an 8wt already. So I was thinking of something a bit more stout to broaden his range.
On the Redington rods, I don't think they sell the blanks do they? I am really looking to build this one up myself, hence the need for blanks.
JB

Darian
11-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Jason,.... Do you have some idea of what type of salt water fly fishing your Dad will use this rod for (boat, surf, flats, etc.)?? Would he choose to use a single or double hander?? Will the fish targeted need a 12 weight rod or something lighter, etc.???

Rod weights for saltwater could vary quite a bit depending on the answers to those questions....

DLJeff
11-14-2014, 03:05 PM
You're very perceptive to recognize there are many excellent rods out there and it's very hard to recommend one without trying it out. Since your Dad has an 8wt (and I assume he likes the action) I'd be very tempted to buy the same make and model (if it were me). Switching rods with different casting action is difficult even for very good casters. If matching the same make and model isn't possible, than see if you can determine the action or post the make & model of the 8wt on here and I'm sure someone can recommend some rods with similar action. In the "under $200 category", I think the TFO's, Redingtons and St Croix all make a very nice blank. And just based on my own experience, blind casting a 10wt all day can take a toll on your wrist and forearm. So if that's what he will be doing, I'd go with a 9wt rather than the 10. Match the line you're casting to the size of fly and wind conditions you're fishing in , then match the line to the rod. Don't buy a 10wt just because he doesn't have one.

mems
11-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Try a TFO babyblue bluewater rod. They sell blanks and they are great rods for big fish. The BVK 10wt is very light and would be a good choice if you are casting all day with it. Both are good rods, the bluewater is my rod of choice for fishing from a boat, but it is a great rod on the flats for GT's and other big boys. Hope this helps, Mems.

Tony Buzolich
11-14-2014, 05:04 PM
With no disrespect I can't figure why anyone would want to build their own rod today when it can be done so cheaply by a professional manufacturer. Add to that you'd have a FULL warranty on the entire rod and all parts.

Now I know there's a satisfaction in building your own whatever just like there is for tying your own flies. But I think I can tie my own flies better than any of those in the stores. My question would be, can you build a rod as good or better than the store bought? What would you do to improve on a Redington or a TFO? Maybe choice of thread colors?

Believe me, I just can't think of a better value than some of todays rods.
Tony

JasonB
11-15-2014, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestions and ideas folks, this does actually help congeal some of my thoughts a bit. Lots of questions to answer, I'll see if I can hit on the most key ones:

-Fishing would be almost all shore bound, and at this point he's most casting a single hand rod. A 2 hand rod may well be in his future at some point, but not at this time

-Fish species and size (as I understand) can be quite variable, but I think that a 10wt seems to be a bit in between the bookends of rod weight.

- The 8wt he has is ok, but I wouldn't say that he is at all bonded to it. He is pretty open and curious to trying some other rods, in part with the hopes that they will be easier for him to cast. (some practice would of course make a bigger difference there as we all know)

- "Casting all day" isn't in his cards, a few hours here and there is pretty much the most he'll be doing. Physically, I'm still thinking that lighter weight rods will be pretty key for him to be able to do that.

- As for why build a rod versus buy a factory built one? Tony, I can't argue with any of your points about the cost and merit of purchasing a factory built one. If it were just a case of $ value then it would be no contest to buy one of the cheaper factory built rods; I guess it's just one of those things, once you get into creating it yourself it's addictive. Besides, as a gift, it will have a lot more meaning to both of us being built by me rather than factory built. There are some things that I do find are easy to improve upon/customize, in particular the cork handles. Both the look, feel, and durability there is very easy to do a lot better than what come from the factory.

At any rate thanks for the help guys,
JB

Larry S
11-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Jason,
Where and for what will your Dad be fishing for? I can't imagine a 10-12 rod in the surf; but, then,
that's me.
We use a 5 - 7 rod in the Sun Diego surf several times a week. My favorite is the St Croix 6-wt Legend
SW.
Check with David Lee. He fishes Baja with the fly rod. A good guy; in the know, and will give you the
straight poop. Look in the "saltwater" posts and you should find him.
Best to you and Dad,
Larry S

JasonB
11-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Larry, I'm not the most familiar with saltwater fishing at all, so I'm kind of going along with what his interests are. This will not be his only, or even his main rod necessarily. I think the main reasons for a 10wt (which is what we've settled on) are: 1) he has an 8wt, so this broadens his options 2) the rod has some additional potential fishing from a boat, and as a salmon rod.
Thanks,
JB