PDA

View Full Version : Trinity River report from Indian Creek Lodge to Sam Yee

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-11-2014, 06:26 PM
To: sam4homes@aol.com
Sent: 11/11/2014 4:19:51 P.M. Pacific Standard Time

Subj: Steelhead Fishing Report and Lodge Events

The rains we have received over the last three weeks have definitely brought more steelhead up the Trinity and put some color in the water to improve the fishing. Some days have been real good--about a week ago my son Ben and I hooked 9 and landed 6 walking and wading for three hours--half wild adults, half half pounders).

Yesterday Dave Shafer and a friend were 7 for 9 in four hours of drifting. And, some days produce more typical steelhead fishing with a couple of hookups per rod per day.

Flies? The old standbys: rubber legs or golden stone, an egg bead, and a copper john (red or blue) on the dropper.

This time of year we usually see a high percentage of hatchery fish, but so far this season native steelhead have been dominant. My guess is that we will see the typical pods of 5-6 pound hatchery fish later this month. Right now the fish are spread throughout the system, with some days the stretches above the Lodge being more productive than downstream, and some days vice versa. Of course the Lodge's backyard continues to produce more hookups than any other spot on the river, but we keep that to ourselves, don't we?

We haven't had a hard freeze yet, which is very unusual, and the relatively mild temps and fall color make a day on the Trinity this time of year very special no matter what the fish are doing.

We haven't had any real "hot" stretches when everyone out there is having double digit hookup day after day, but frankly that could spoil the adrenaline rush when the fly line goes sizzling off the reel. It's steelheading--skilled anglers who know the river do well, and less experienced folks have a great time on a beautiful river with slimmer results.

John, Elena and The Gang at
Indian Creek Lodge

*Quoted prices include taxes, but not gratuities or shuttles.

__._,_.___

kylgrn
11-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Headed up to the resort tomorrow evening, you're right about us less skilled anglers, hard to not have a great time on that river this time of year!

Rmacneil656
11-12-2014, 01:42 PM
I believe that there are also less Hatchery fish around as the limit was 2 per angler this year. Saw a lot of Hatchery fish bonked while I was up there in the lower river in October. Double the previous years limit may result in half the numbers of hatchery fish. Can anyone check the math on that lol.