PDA

View Full Version : Great Day With High Sierra Trout

JAWallace
11-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Two of us fished around 7000' yesterday, and between us brought about 35 beautiful rainbows and browns to hand. Fish were all over the water column, got them from 1-3 inches below the surface down to dredging at 25' or so. All but two were from 18" - 24" and both of us got into backing several times. Blood midges, scuds, and large, heavily weighted leeches were the prime getters, followed by wiggle tails, prince nymphs, and cooper johns.

WT was from 46° -48°, and the fish were pretty tough to hook until we got to the higher temps. Get out now while you can, cause much lower and the big boys are going to be pouting in the depths. Below is a chunky 'bow brought to net with my $25 Eagle Claw glass rod, which, I found to be a terrible, jittery rod, but did deliver some nice fish, despite the shortcomings. All my fish were caught on glass--I remain graphite free ;)

tally
11-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Good to know. I was just up at Boca Reservoir last week and am going back up next Sunday.

Blueracer
11-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Sweet!! You floated it too. How far of a hike??

Do you have any pics of the browns? Let me know if you'd like some company sometime. I pack in my ODC 420 lightweight.