PDA

View Full Version : American This Morning - Tons of Salmon

Troutsource
11-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Fished the American from about 6:45 to 11:00 this morning. Not a lot of half-pounder action, but I was blown away by the number of salmon moving upstream when I arrived. In a 30-foot wide riffle/rapid there must have been 7-8 fish moving up simultaneously, non-stop for the few minutes that I stood and watched. I was in a state of disbelief. When I first heard the racket as I started down the bank I thought there must be a few deer crossing the river. (Last week I saw maybe 1 fish in the same area, but I did arrive about 45 minutes later last week).

About two hours later after I worked my usual route downstream, I came upon the gear crowd at a popular slot and they were having an absolute field day -- out of a dozen guys fishing, probably 3-4 at a time were hooked up. It was ridiculous. The only other place I've seen this kind of action was in Alaska or in a party boat. Of course, I feebly tried to participate but didn't really know what the hell I was doing and didn't even get a hit. Some other fly fishermen came in below me and one hooked up while indicator fishing. When I finally returned to the original riffle/rapids, I saw no fish moving. I assume the rain and cover of darkness liberated them from their holding positions and the daylight slowed them down again. Amazing day despite not landing a single fish.

SeanO
11-02-2014, 04:12 AM
That's really awesome!

Just being around those big fish is always a good time.

Troutsource
11-02-2014, 10:38 AM
I went again this morning if for no other reason than to see what the salmon were doing. The stampede I saw yesterday was nonexistent. I fished across from the gear guys, but down 10 yards from where I was yesterday, using nymph with an egg dropper. After about 20 minutes I grew tired of having 5 ounce sinkers landing 10 feet from me. It was me on one side and about 20 gruff-looking guys on the other. There were a number of hookups while I was there. The smolts seem to have cleared out over the last two weeks. I guess it's that time of the year.