PDA

View Full Version : What a Nice Sight

Tony Buzolich
10-28-2014, 07:21 PM
My wife and I just got back from a great lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant up in Oroville called Wong Tong Low's. It's the oldest Chinese restaurant in California.

After lunch we drove over to the park at the levee and watched tons of salmon spawning naturally in the gravel. What a sight to see. The water was a bit off color but you could still easily see the fish with their backs and tails above the surface. Two or three males would surround the female and fight for her favors. Some were actually digging redds in the gravel. Sea gulls directly behind the nest picking up loose eggs. Some just resting near the surface perhaps already spawned out or waiting to go farther upstream to the hatchery. We didn't notice a lot of beat up dead or dying fish. Most seemed healthy and were just doing their thing.

I'm sure in a few weeks there will be a lot of dead fish and smelly carcasses around but for now this looked to me like what it is supposed to look like,,,,,, nature's finest.
Tony

SeanO
10-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Awesome!

The North coast fish are coming back as well right now.

njbeast
10-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Tony,
Two friends and I just returned from a trip on the Klamath above Copco Lake. We stopped by Bogus Creek and saw several salmon spawning. It is really a treat to see such large fish in such a small creek. We saw about seven fish while we were there, two fresh and the rest were pretty beaten up. The wonders of nature down by the riverside.