PDA

View Full Version : Fund Raising Raffle

Baja Fly Fisher
10-28-2014, 06:54 PM
As some of you know already, I've started a fund raising raffle to make some money for the people down in Baja. A lot of you have fished down there and know what little some of these people have. In the later part of September, hurricane Odile hit the Baja peninsula with a vengence. Cabo San Lucas got slammed, La Paz had a lot of damage and Mulege got the worst. Just a couple weeks before Odile, Mulege got slammed by a heavy tropical storm and wiped out a lot of houses.
What I'm doing is fund raiser for those people in need. There are other organizations who are doing clothing, school supplies, construction material drives but since we can't send stuff down, I thought money could be distributed to certain organization. One organization I have worked with in the past is the Senior Citizen shelter.
Here is a message that I sent to most of my clients and some friends. With a follow up email that was posted yesterday.

Hey Guys & Gals,

I've been thinking for a few weeks now how to help out those people who just went through the hurricane in the later part of September. I'm sure most of you remember hurricane Odile.
It did a lot of damage to the baja peninsula, the lower (Cabo San Lucas) and the upper Baja ( Loreto/Mulege). I know some of these people are still struggling to get back on their feet.
I know there has been organizations taking in clothing, food, building materials and money to help out the locals and get them back on their feet.
I am going to do a raffle called the "La Paz Fund Raising Raffle". I am going to donate a free trip 7 nights/6days fishing trip (good for one year) to fish down in the La Paz area. This is going to be the first prize and for a 2nd prize, I'm going to throw in a TFO 9' 10 wt Mangrove Fly Rod. Hopefully I will be able to round up a few more prizes. If anyone would like to donate any items it would be greatly appreciated.
The price of the tickets will be $50.00 each. I was going to do $100.00 but $50.00 sounded better. I'm having the tickets printed up right now and will start selling them next week. This raffle is open to the public and I will be sending out email notices to everyone on my email list. So hopefully I can reach a lot of people.

Now here's my plan, let me know if you agree with it. The monies raised will be going to help the people in the La Paz area, such as the senior home, people who are in need of help around the La Paz area ( I'm in touch with a few organizations and Jonathan has a few on his list). If our captains or their familes need any help for sure I will help them. But I think most of them weathered the storm pretty good. Then I'm thinking about helping people up north, places like Mulege. They got hammered and a lot of them lost everything. So hopefully this little fund raising raffle will generate enough funds to help those in need.

Thanks for taking time to read this and hope you will participate

Tight lines and hope to see you in Baja 2015

Jay Murakoshi

Like I mentioned in an earlier email that was sent out to you, I'm organizing a raffle to help those people who lost everything and those who are still in need of funds to repair there homes in Hurricane Odile.

Well the tickets have arrived and I'm starting to sell them as of today. You can purchase as many as you like. So here's what you have to do:
Send me a check in the amount of $50.00, $100.00 or how ever many you would like to purchase. Make the check out and mail it to:

Jay Murakoshi
667 E. Cole Ave
Fresno, CA. 93720

On the "memo line" at the bottom of your check, write Raffle.
In return, I will scan your tickets and send you a copy for your records. I'm doing it this way to save on postage, but if you want a hard copy to hold in your hand, I will send you the ticket stub.
Not a problem.

This list of raffle prizes has grown in a couple days. In the coming days, I will keep you update of the raffle prize list. I've had a couple companies already step up.

Well there it is. Hopefully you will participate in this fund raising project and help those people in need.

Thanks a lot and thanks to those people who have pledge raffle prize donations.

Jay Murakoshi

The drawing will be held on April 25th. Why April? This will give me time to sell more tickets and generate more money for the cause. When the drawing does happen, I will have it video taped so there's no question on if the drawing was "fixed". I had 100 tickets printed, but if sales go good I might have another 100 tickets printed.
\