PDA

View Full Version : Galvan Reel Foot Replacement Available

JAWallace
10-27-2014, 02:55 PM
There are a few rods/reel seats where the Galvan Torque reel foot is too thick to fit the uplocking hood. I have one of those--a Steffen with Strubel hardware. I called Galvan, and sure enough, they do have a replacement foot that is slimmer. They have them in a few colors. They charged me $23 for two, shipped.

Trivia: Maybe I'm the last one to know, but I've always pronounced it GAL-vun. They answer the phone, Gal-VON.

John Sv
10-27-2014, 06:50 PM
I had the same problem with a slide band seat on my custom steffen . It was still a little big so I filed it down. They were super helpful and prompt too!

JAWallace
10-31-2014, 05:18 PM
Just got mine, and they fit the Strubel reel seat beautifully. Plus, they are ported and look very cool. Hard to beat Galvan in any way.

audax
11-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Just got mine, and they fit the Strubel reel seat beautifully. Plus, they are ported and look very cool. Hard to beat Galvan in any way.
Hi Local, would you say the replacement foot is any shorter in length in addition to being slimmer? I have a Standard 3.0 that it just a tad too long to slip between the pocket and sliding band on a couple rods, so it remains new in box. :(

I appreciate your post, even if it's a no-go for me.

JAWallace
11-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Eric, sorry to report they are the same length. The milling appears to be identical, only slightly thinner stock is used. You might call Galvan though to see if by chance they have anything for you for the Standard. If the over length is minimal and you could live with losing the anodizing, perhaps a good filing or some Dremel work would turn out what you need. The other option is to have the reel seat replaced in the affected rods. I think about $35 for each would be a fair budget.

audax
11-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check the fit again. Perhaps just the slimmer profile alone will allow the end of the foot to tuck into the hood.

Worst case, it's clear anodized. Just don't really want to go there.